Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, this the (first draft of the) long-awaited Chaos-as-BA list. I've been telling Galahad especially for about 2 months I'm gonna do this, and I know it's a bit weird, but is based on models I actually have. Here it is.

HQ:
Not really sure about this. I'll probably want a chaplain to keep the Death Company in line, but don't know if I want a second HQ; I was thinking about a librarian.
Honour Guard (Khorne berzerkers): with close combat weapons; currently 125pts. Suggestions for upgrades welcome...

Elite:
5 Death Company (Khorne berzerkers w/chainaxes) (free)
3xDreadnought with assault cannon & missile launcher (405pts)

Troops:
Assault Squad: 10 man, vet serge with power weapon (265pts) (My models do not have jump-packs: I'm assuming I'm putting them in a Rhino)
Tactical Squad: 10 man, vet serge with power weapon, plasma gun, heavy bolter (230pts)
Tactical Squad: 10 man, vet serge with power weapon, plasma gun, heavy bolter (230pts)

Fast Attack:
(none selected)

Heavy Support:
Dev Squad: 5 man, 4xmissile launcher; vet serge weapons not selected (205pts)

That's 1,535 pts (no it's not, it's 1460) so far; I'm assuming 200-400pts for 2 HQ, leaving 65-265pts (or, 140-340) for upgrades, transports for the tac squads etc (but I don't have to get the second HQ)... not a lot, I know, but any suggestions gratefully accepted!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thats a very interesting idea and list which is nice to see. I would stick to one HQ and go with the standard; Lemartes. Unfortunately he is a little over used but you just can't beat his cost and abilities. Then throw the jump packs on the Berzerker Models I think that would look very tough IMO.

As for the Honor Gaurd I'm not sure, I would get them jump packs or a Rhino, maybe a power fist and some Meltas.

Not sure about the Dread configuration, I would skip the ML for xtra armor and the CC Dread Weapon. I know the Xtra armor gets pricy but it allows you to assault even if your shaken which is nice. However I like the idea of three Dreads lumbering toward the enemy.

If you get Rhinos for the Tac Squads drop the HB and change your Vet SGT to PF as opposed to PW. I've never used an Assault Squad in a Rhino however it goes good with theme of your army. Just spend the points for some Xtra Armor its a must for transports.

Your Dev Squad is fine your Vet SGT doesn't need any special weapons, just understand you lose one marine and then uyou start losing ML after that. I usely field 5 man DEVI's with two special weapons.

Your army looks good overall, its got alot of character which is nice, good luck hope this helps.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I'm not sure what you;re trying to do, rules-wise, Red.

Are you making a homebrew where you combine Blood Angel and Chaos lists and pick and choose what units you want, or are you doing like I did and using entirely the chaos codex and having it 'count as' chaos but represented by BA models and fluff, or are you using a BA list and calling them berzerkers and whatnot, counting as BA but using chaos fluff?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ bl0203:
Thanks for the feedback mate. I think you're right about sticking to the Chappie for the moment. Not sure about Lemartes though, this is a chaos army after all and to be honest jump-packs are at a premium (thinks: how about demonic wings, counts as a jump-pack? That seems like a good plan...). I'll save the Librarian (aka Sorcerer) for 2,500pts (when I might get some fast attack too).

As to the strangeness of the list, well, I'm trying to shoe-horn minis I have into a list not designed for them. Many of them are more-or-less fixed in what I can do with them, due to modelling constraints (so no power-fists, for instance).

I had a bit of a debate about dreads here where I put forward the '3 shooty dredd' tactic... because I have 3 shooty dreads (before I tried to use the BA list for this, I was planning it with a normal SM list). I can drop them, but I can't reconfigure them (at all easily).

There's also a debate about the general principle of BA as a shooty army here which is important... as I have far more bolters in the list than I belive is usual for BA. I've also been trying to help Galahad through some of the problems with his mech-BA list here - variant BA lists are my thing at the moment...

So, sorry, I should have been more clear about what could and couldn't be used... in essence, these pretty much being the models I have (with a couple of others in bits I'm going to try to make up into sergeants, other HG members or whatever, and a few potential weapon swaps), this is it... and it's about how to most sensibly organise these as a (more-or-less) viable BA army...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Galahad:
It's a straight, legal BA list, all units directly from the BA (mini-)codex.

The models are a variety of Chaos models that I'm using as proxies - notes like "Khorne Berzerkers with chainaxes" are just to show how I'm proxying. Some proxies perhaps make a lot of sense, others are a bit arbitrary, but needs must...

The Death Company, for instance are proxied by Khorne Berzerkers with chainaxes - I've got about 10 berzerkers, 5 with chainswords and 5 with chainaxes. As Khornate chainaxes, once upon a time, had a special rule giving them a stronger attack (was it Str +1? One extra attack on the charge? I don't actually remember) I thought they would better represent the 'Rending' special attacks of the Death Company. I'm certainly gonna be painting them black, in any case.

The 5 with chainswords, on the other hand, are representing my Honour Guard. That's actually just a pretty straight swap of one unit of power-armoured bolt-pistol and chainsword marines for a slightly more spikey unit of power-armoured bolt-pistol and chainsword marines. They'll be painted red, like the rest of the army, with big gold horns on their helmets (or maybe even gold helmets).

My tac squads and dev squad, similarly, are mostly a pretty straight swap: lots of chaos marines with bolters and missile launchers representing loyalist marines with bolters and missile launchers. Tac squads will have red helmets, dev squad... probably Dark Angels green, or maybe purple (proxying for blue).

My assault squad is a bit problematic... I'm using IInd Ed plastic Death Guard models that just aren't quite right (but are cheap on ebay, which is what clinched it in the end!) with old-style (tiny) bolters and combat knives. I'm prepared to argue that they stand for bolt-pistols (they're firing them one-handed) and 'close combat weapons, equivalent to chainswords', but I'll agree I might be on a sticky wicket with that one.

I have a few other 'slightly dodgy' models: a good proportion of the army is actually built from old Space Crusade chaos marines (with the removable weapons) and a pile of old loyalist weapons (gotta love ebay again), hence the plasma guns (I have about 20 lying about). As a result of being 'a few models short' I'm using the chaos marine commanders (who came with heavy bolters) as both Heavy Bolter guys (in my tac squads) and my sergeants - the spare weapons (that I'm none too keen to mess about with) include bolt-pistol/power axe; power-fist/power-sword; and heavy bolter. Power-fist/power-sword isn't a legal combo for BA (unlike Codex: SM) so I'm a bit limited as to what I can do with them...

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Ah, I get it now.

Well, if you've got a DP laying around, he could always count as mephiston...he;s just that badass ;-)

The 5 man dev squad is a mistake. Either flesh it out with some extra guys, or drop it for a tank.

As for dreads, I'd recommend a little variety. Assault cannon isn't really the best pairing with the missile launcher. AC and DCCW, or laser + ML...or you could always go with Furioso...but only if you can whip up a drop pod.

Something else to consider, all of our dreads can be venerable. That;s a little costly but very handy, especially if you spring for extra armor.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Second draft time: changes are in italics (don't know how to do red) and in line with policy, headings are in bold.

HQ:
Lemartes 125pts

(LaMortis, Prophet of Darkness; with demonic wings - counts as jump pack - bolt pistol, power weapon - counts as crozius arcanum - Skullhead - counts as Death Mask - frag & krak, power armour, Talisman of Death - counts as rosarius)

Honour Guard 155pts
(Khorne berzerkers with chainswords, 1 plasma pistol, 1 power weapon)
The plasma pistol and power-axe are the only spare special weapons I have (that aren't plasma guns)

Elite:
5 Death Company (free)

(Khorne berzerkers w/chainaxes)
3xDreadnought (405pts)
with assault cannon & missile launcher
May be able to re-tool one of these with a multi-melta or plasma cannon: I think that's about it in terms of dreadnought weaponry I have lying about. Though honestly, given the reaction to my '3 Dreads' posting a couple of months ago, I think I'll stick with this for the time being...)

Troops:
Assault Squad (265pts)

10 man, vet serge with power weapon
(still assuming I'm putting them in a Rhino...)
Tactical Squad (230pts)
10 man, vet serge with power weapon, plasma gun, heavy bolter
Tactical Squad (230pts)
10 man, vet serge with power weapon, plasma gun, heavy bolter
(I realise I'm being urged to drop the heavy bolters: at the moment, to do that would mean dropping my dev squad due to lack of models, so I'm gonna stick with it at the moment, but I'll certainly think about it!)

Fast Attack:
(none selected)

Heavy Support:
Dev Squad (205pts)

5 man, 4xmissile launcher
(again this is a lack of models thing; if I had another five guys to put here, I would! On the other hand, If I had a tank, I'd put it here too!)

Total: 1615

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions so far.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Request to Mod

Hi, I know this an old thread, and I'm not really just trying to bump it, and I know it's a bit confusing, but...

Can it be moved to "loyalist" Marines, as it's actually built using Codex BA, and therefore all 'list' as opposed to 'modelling' questions relate to BA not Chaos?

Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts