Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I still have yet to find the time to build them, but I have some fancy new models to add to my BA collection and it got me thinking about the Archangels Detachment from the SoB:E book. For those unaware of this Detachment's rules and requirements:

I was looking at how my twin Furioso Dreadnoughts would work with Sternguard and a Terminator Librarian and after some tweaking it ended up being pretty close to a 750 point Detachment that I feel would be a solid choice to ally with any Imperial army lacking in Deployment shenanigans.

Librarian - Mastery Level 2, Terminator Armour, Force Axe, Auspex, Melta Bombs

8x man Sternguard Veterans - 4x Combi-Meltas (one on Sergeant), Melta Bombs (Sergeant), Heavy Flamer (I only have four C-Ms), Drop Pod

Furioso - Frag Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist, Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod

Furioso - Frag Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist, Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod

Total: 751

It's pretty in your face. It looks to me that LPDPs allow assault from Reserve, though I'll have to take that up with my gaming group to see who reads it that way and who reads it as the Dreadnought doesn't have to disembark when it arrives, and as such can assault the following turn when it disembarks; but I don't think that's RAI or RAW really. Either way, this frees up my coveted Elites slots in my BSFD without sacrificing too much +1I on the charge. As a bonus if I make the Libby the Warlord when used as an ally he might get the Trait that confers Counter Attack which would provide a nice edge for the Sternguard since they'll be in close.

I'd be pretty interested to see how it works as a standalone force for small engagements, but I'm not sure it would be very nice to drop on someone at that points level.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone called my two Fragiosos cheesy while using a Knight at 1500 points. I came up with this @1501:

Librarian - Mastery Level 2, Terminator Armour, Force Axe, Auspex, Melta Bombs

8x man Sternguard Veterans - 7x Combi-Meltas (one on Sergeant), Melta Bombs (Sergeant), Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod

6x Furioso Dreadnoughts - Frag Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist, Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod each

Got any crackers? :grin:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kataphrons would eat you alive, though.
Shooting with two S6 rending templates, a S5 AP4 template, then charging them with S10 AP2 attacks the same turn as they arrive wouldn't be enough?

I am pretty ignorant of those units, and this list is a joke...but care to educate me on those models?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Shooting with two S6 rending templates, a S5 AP4 template, then charging them with S10 AP2 attacks the same turn as they arrive wouldn't be enough?

I am pretty ignorant of those units, and this list is a joke...but care to educate me on those models?
Cult Mech troop choices. T5, 2w, 3+ save with 2 haywire shots apiece at 36 inches and one haywire cc attack. You'd make them bleed for sure, but it seems like the only way to survive a handful of them would be to kill all but one from shooting and charging. If you kill all of them, they'll shoot you to death, but if you don't kill many of them they'll snatch a few hp in cc. I am actually curious now to see how this might play out.

Then again, probably not many armies would have very many squads of them. They are, after all, a troops choice from a very expensive army, and it seems like most people really just want Kastelans.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. Looks like three of them are 150 points and those Fragiosos are 180 each with the transport. If nothing else fair trade though I never use a Furioso alone; they always team up on targets. Two dreadnoughts charging the squad would wipe them barring the most useless of dice (hitting on 3's, wounding on 2's with Instant Death on those Kataphrons). Kastelans would be trickier to deal with for sure.

Regardless I don't have 6 Dreadnoughts or 7 Drop Pods to even proxy this list, and I doubt anyone would face it anyway. The 751 point list is a crucial ally to basically anything I want to splash BA flavour on, just need to assemble two more bolter Sternguard and then get painting.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was under the impression you exclusively played BA. What else do you dabble in? I'm looking more and more at making my SM a homebrew BA chapter to ally into my AdMech stuff to cover the CC shaped hole in my codices. Expect lots of questions when I get around to that, haha.

I guess I was assuming in our hypothetical matchup here that your opponent has built an equally ridiculous (and objectively weaker) army of Kataphron spam (something like 3 Holy Requisitioner formations). Then, exterminating a whole squad leaves the dreadnought vulnerable to fire from the next. In a straight one-on-one my money's on the dreads if they attack first, and maybe something like 70-30 Kataphrons if they go first.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was under the impression you exclusively played BA. What else do you dabble in?
Grey Knights
Inquisition
Assassins
Deathwing
Necrons
Imperial Guard
Blood Angels

...and I used to play Imperial Fists as well.

Expect lots of questions when I get around to that, haha.
Bring it on dude, I would love to help.

In a straight one-on-one my money's on the dreads if they attack first, and maybe something like 70-30 Kataphrons if they go first.
Agreed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts