Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Heresy! I was feeling a bit down over the state of our codex in the meta because (as far as I can tell) we have a very hard time competing with the newer codexes. For example my friends Tau and my brother's Eldar. At the same time, though, I hate list tailoring: I'm ok with focusing on what's prominent in the meta but not on one specific army. With that in mind, I found a list here

http://amethystxenos.blogspot.gr

(a site which is, by the way, fairly phenomenal) and that list is as follows

Libby (JP) - 125

Priest (JP) - 75

Fragioso (frag cannon, flamer, DP) - 170

10x RAS (2x melta, PW) - 225

5x RAS (flamer, 2x HF, DP) - 125

Stormraven (LC, MM) - 200

Vindicator (SS) - 150

Vindicator (SS) - 150

It's not super different from what I've been playing, but it's different enough. I then made some revisions to it so here those are (along with tons of questions about them)

Libby (JP) - 125

Priest (JP, PW) - 90

10x RAS (2x melta) - 210

10x RAS (2x flamer, 2x HF) - 220

10x RAS (2x flamer, PS, MB) - 220

-->LC or AC?

Vindicator (SS) - 150
-->Or a Baal?

Vindicator (SS) - 150
-->Or a Baal?

Problems with this list:
I need three drop pods another fragioso and another vindi to make it work
1750 vs 1850 (more common)
10 points left
Maybe give +1 PW for (choose): -1 flamer in 5x RAS, -1 dozerblade, -1 MB
Maybe +1 PF for (choose): -1 PW, -3 of above
Maybe +2 PW for -2 HF
Enough Anti-Tank? Should I revert to the original?

So, basically, which list do you guys like better? What do you think of my changes? Where would you go with it? And, finally, how would you bring it up to 1850?

Thanks in advance
JAMOB

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I need three drop pods another fragioso and another vindi to make it work
I know that feeling!

Going with the second list, drop the PS from the 2nd Flamer RAS and make them a MG squad. The other 5 points going to MB for the other MG RAS. If you're using your SR predominantly for anti air I would suggest the TLLC, but you can get away with the TLAC if you're facing AV11 fliers. It's not quite as reliable, but it gives you more shots. As for the Vindicators or Baals...damn. Until you can get what you need play what you can I suppose. I'd love to drop two S10 AP2 pie plates down; at that point I'm not even too worried about scattering! Baals aren't slouches though, teamed up that's 12 HB shots and 8 TLAC shots. PLUS if you're gunna take Vindis you gotta find room for that pintle SB upgrade so a weapon destroyed doesn't turn you into the mechanical rhino from Ace Ventura.

Personally I'd put the MG RAS into a DP, make the PS/F RAS a MG one and drop the Libby and the 5 man RAS for Mephiston. Basically, a variation of the list that I posted a few days ago :laugh:

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as for Mephiston... Like the tyranids, he's something I'll field only "Come the Apocalypse," or at the very least "Come the New Codex" (depending on changes). I just don't think one model that strikes at AP3 (even s6 t6 i7) justifies so huge an investment (not to mention he can't join squads!) so I tend to steer away from special characters. That and I don't have him either...

The only reason I wouldn't want to get rid of the 5 man is that I'd rather it be a suicide or distraction unit and have more aggressive power at the front than have it be a full man squad. If I drop 5 guys with flamers/meltas, it will kill many things (or maybe not) and then die. If I drop 10 guys it will draw slightly more firepower, but the same eventual result. With my two dreads I feel like that's more than enough to divert attention, and that squad's survivability isn't a huge issue for me.

That being said, what do you think of making the DP squad meltas (as in switching flamers for) rather than making one of the bigger squads melta? More because I have those squads modeled that way already than anything else and I'd be proxying the 5 man for a while anyway.

In general that makes a lot of sense though, I guess I'm just not quite as aggressive a player as you :dunno:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
hahaha, I meant that last line as a joke. I know your tastes for special characters, I typically am that way as well. I've just been having some real fun ripping up traitor marines with that guy recently. As a suicide/distraction unit I think that the DP RAS would be better served with three flame templates over one melta shot. As far as the other RAS go, do whatever you have modeled. I just figured I'd toss that little points niggling out there and see what you thought. It also balances you with two RAS melta and two flamer, even if one is only 5 man. You just have so much infantry hatred with those Fragiosos and Baals/Vindis that I figured you may as well got anti armour with your RAS and save your SR some work so it can focus on anti air.

Like the tyranids, he's something I'll field only "Come the Apocalypse,"
:laugh: this is a good one man.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Libby (JP) - 125

Priest (JP, PW) - 90

10x RAS (2x flamer, 2x HF) - 220

10x RAS (2x melta, MB) - 215

10x RAS (2x melta, MB) - 215

Baal (AC/HB, Dozer) - 150

Baal (AC/HB, Dozer) - 150

Fantastic :) Thanks for the help man, now I just need to try it out (and find suitable proxies... no tourneys for a while I guess).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
That's a straight up list man. I just realized the other day that I have two Fragiosos in bits, so that shit is gunna be reality for me soon. I will have to order another AoBR dreadnought for my DA Mortis pieces. Same with the dual Baals, my predator's been rocking a RB's TLAC for a little while now to accompany my actual Baal. Soooo much infantry hatred.

We have very similar styles of play, but the differences are so key. It's great to see other lists that have those subtle tweaks to what you're used to playing that can, at times, greatly change the play style of the army.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks solid to me, might drop the sr for another baal, and spread that 50 points around some where else. Other than that Ise gots no complaints bout yo list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts