Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I would lean more towards heavy bolters, but autocannons do have their places occassionally.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think its good to have a mix, heavy bolters and auto cannons. Autocannons are great at killing light-medium vehicles, but can also be used to kill infantry and alot else. Heavy bolters are very effective aganst infantry with 3 shots a pop.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yer autocannons all the way.

autocannon and plamsa guns in every troop unit FTW

martin

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Eh, Autocannons have strength, but almost everything gets a save on them. AP 4 for a shell the size of my computer, going, say, 1500 fps? Nice one, GW.

-Dirge

·
Registered
325 Posts
Eh, Autocannons have strength, but almost everything gets a save on them. AP 5 for a shell the size of my computer, going, say, 1500 fps? Nice one, GW.

-Dirge
Not reading the rules of the weapon thats being discussed - Priceless.

AP4 dinlow :laugh:

To the OP - AC's all the way. Only 1 less shot than a HB but 2 more S & 12" more range.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I like Heavy Bolters in infantrys quads, and Autocannons in support squads and on vehicles like Chimeras and Sentinels.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tend to prefer autocannon. While the Heavy Bolters do have a higher rate of fire, they don't have the range or versitility I want. It all depends upon how you use your heavy weapons, and the way I do mine, it doesn't make much sense to take Heavy Bolters in my infantry (I leave my heavy bolters on my Russes, where they belong).

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Definitely autocannons.

A heavy bolter is only marginally better vs infantry, while the autocannon can bring down taudar skimmers. To be honest I don't think I would ever take an IG squad with a gun that can't hurt vehicles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Personally i use autocannons and heavy bolters, making one in three being HB. also i try and have the feilds of fire overlapping a s much as posible

·
Registered
599 Posts
I like auto cannons, mainly due to the range.

The ability to pop light tanks and then go infanry is great.
The HB does have more shots but the range sucks compared to an auto cannon.

that said if your force is light on anti troop..the hb is a good buy, if you have tons of anti infantry guns going auto cannon is also great.

a bit of both is best.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Moved to Tactics.

That said, I wish regular marines had autocannons. I like them a lot better than heavy bolters.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts