Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Autarch Master Strategist Question

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  DeathKlokk 
#1 ·
"While the Autarch is alive, you may choose to add 1 to your rolls for reserves, regardless of whether he is in play or not (a roll of 1 always counts as a failure)."

May I choose to add 1 after I have completed all of my rolls, or does it need to be declared beforehand?

#9 ·
For example, let's say I have a fire prism that I want to come in on turn 2, but a wave serpent with dire avengers I'd like to keep off the table so it has a better chance to stay alive for turn 5 objective grabbing. I roll a 4 for the prism and a 3 for the serpent. Choosing to apply +1 prior to the rolls means they both are coming on. Choosing after the rolls means I can opt not to use it and I can bring my prism on while keeping the serpent off.

#10 ·
DK, I think we may be looking at different versions of the FAQ. I don't see anywhere where it states declare.
Q. If an army has two Autarchs, does it get +2 to its reserve rolls?

A. The player may choose each turn whether to add +1, +2 or no bonus to his reserve rolls.
I'm currious, are there any other abilities in 40k that allow you to choose whether or not to modify your dice roll?

As of now, the only thing I can find that has any revelence to this at all is on page 2 of the BRB under modifying dice rolls.

Sometimes, you may have to modify the results of the dice roll. This is noted as D6 plus or minus a number, such as D6+1 or D6-2. Roll the dice and add or subtract the number to or from the score to get the final result. For example, D6+2 mean roll a dice and add 2 to the score, giving a total of between 3 and 8.
It's a far stretch, but at least to me that implies that a modification is always known before the dice is rolled.

#17 ·
To be consistant with previous GW rulings I would treat it as "A. The player may choose at the beginning of each turn whether to add +1, +2 or no bonus to his reserve rolls."

Not that it is supported by RAW, it just makes sense to treat it as such. There is nothing I can think of that lets you change your mind after dice have been rolled or influence your decision besides re-roling.

#21 ·
Quite a few people legitimately do forget that (part of why I never have more than one unit in reserve).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.