Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"While the Autarch is alive, you may choose to add 1 to your rolls for reserves, regardless of whether he is in play or not (a roll of 1 always counts as a failure)."

May I choose to add 1 after I have completed all of my rolls, or does it need to be declared beforehand?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I saw in the Eldar FAQ relating to this was you may choose to add +1, +2, or no modifier to reserve rolls if you have 2 Autarchs. It does not mention anything about when that modifier may be applied.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It doesn't matter if you do it before or after however don't know if you have to add 1 to all your reserves or each unit

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
It does make a big difference if you do it before or after because knowing the results will influence your choice. Theres no clear timing on it sadly.

The Aurtach adds to all your reserve rolls or none of them.

Aramoro

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok if it's all or none then it makes a difference I thought you would be able to choose each unit as you go eg scorpions yes +1 dire avengers no thanks

·
Registered
924 Posts
I just automatically take the +1; why wouldn't you?

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Well the FAQ states that you Declare whether you are adding +1,+2, or nothing. The use of the word "Declare" suggests that it's before rolls.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just automatically take the +1; why wouldn't you?
For example, let's say I have a fire prism that I want to come in on turn 2, but a wave serpent with dire avengers I'd like to keep off the table so it has a better chance to stay alive for turn 5 objective grabbing. I roll a 4 for the prism and a 3 for the serpent. Choosing to apply +1 prior to the rolls means they both are coming on. Choosing after the rolls means I can opt not to use it and I can bring my prism on while keeping the serpent off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
DK, I think we may be looking at different versions of the FAQ. I don't see anywhere where it states declare.
Q. If an army has two Autarchs, does it get +2 to its reserve rolls?

A. The player may choose each turn whether to add +1, +2 or no bonus to his reserve rolls.
I'm currious, are there any other abilities in 40k that allow you to choose whether or not to modify your dice roll?

As of now, the only thing I can find that has any revelence to this at all is on page 2 of the BRB under modifying dice rolls.

Sometimes, you may have to modify the results of the dice roll. This is noted as D6 plus or minus a number, such as D6+1 or D6-2. Roll the dice and add or subtract the number to or from the score to get the final result. For example, D6+2 mean roll a dice and add 2 to the score, giving a total of between 3 and 8.
It's a far stretch, but at least to me that implies that a modification is always known before the dice is rolled.

·
Registered
924 Posts
For example, let's say I have a fire prism that I want to come in on turn 2, but a wave serpent with dire avengers I'd like to keep off the table so it has a better chance to stay alive for turn 5 objective grabbing. I roll a 4 for the prism and a 3 for the serpent. Choosing to apply +1 prior to the rolls means they both are coming on. Choosing after the rolls means I can opt not to use it and I can bring my prism on while keeping the serpent off.
So just keep the Wave Serpent in reserve; no roll is needed, unless they changed that into a rule that I've ignored.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So just keep the Wave Serpent in reserve; no roll is needed, unless they changed that into a rule that I've ignored.
if you roll for somthign to come into the game and the roll passes they come into the game reguardless of weither you want them to or not

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts

There is no "holding back" for Reserves. Unfortunately GW can conceive of having actual tactical reserves instead of crazy random reserves.

You must roll for each unit in Reserve at the beginning of your turn (after turn 1 of course). Check out pg 94 of the BrB under "Rolling for Reserves" to find the rule you've ignored.

·
Registered
924 Posts
There is no "holding back" for Reserves. Unfortunately GW can conceive of having actual tactical reserves instead of crazy random reserves.

You must roll for each unit in Reserve at the beginning of your turn (after turn 1 of course). Check out pg 94 of the BrB under "Rolling for Reserves" to find the rule you've ignored.
So it's a change.
You used to be able to have a choice to roll or not.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Having a choice could lead to some really silly situations tho i can see entire armies coming on last turn to chesse a victory at a tournament for instance :p

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
To be consistant with previous GW rulings I would treat it as "A. The player may choose at the beginning of each turn whether to add +1, +2 or no bonus to his reserve rolls."

Not that it is supported by RAW, it just makes sense to treat it as such. There is nothing I can think of that lets you change your mind after dice have been rolled or influence your decision besides re-roling.

·
Registered
924 Posts
No, you didn't. Checked 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books. Never happened. :so_happy:
Then I've been getting cheated for awhile.
*Shrugs.
Guess that's what I get for having a life outside of the hobby and limited time to read every word of a rule-book.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I have always assumed that it is in effect at the start of the turn. Like an innate ability.

If you feel like cheating you COULD get away with the i forgot to roll for those reserves for a turn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts