Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished a commission to paint up some Aurora Chapter space marines.

I've always thought that there was a lot of character in the secondary space marine chapters- they could be similar to one of the big five, but they always have just a little hint of fluff for you to work off of.

Anyway, here are some termiantors:

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Sweet! Great to see some well painted Aurora Chapter SMs on the boards.

My very first SM force were Auroras, but not as well painted as these by a long way...

...gets all misty eyed.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Nice work as usual. Stunning paint work and very subtle weathering - has a very realistic look.

After seeing some really nice dreads a while ago i got quite fond of the Aurora scheme. It's very simple but striking at the same time.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I think the Aurora colors worked really well on these guys. Overall, they're sort of an undecided chapter - the studio scheme for them has been altered several times. My client actually had me paint up three test Auroras so that he could decide what kind of color scheme he liked best. I think I like his choice.

I'll make sure I post some more Auroras soon.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Always nice to see the lesser chapters get some loving from a damned good painter.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'll make sure I post some more Auroras soon.
There's more to come? awesome :)

I've commented several times on how fast you seem to churn out such great quality, but i'm wondering just how fast. How many hours do you think you put into that 10 man squad if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the rep everyone. I really like the way this board lets you feel welcome and well received.

What happens if you end up painting something you don't care for? Does that ever happen?
It sort of happens. In the end, my client has the final word on color choices, but I feel that as a painter one of my strengths is my eye for composition and colors, so if I don't like a scheme, I will often adjust it slightly (within the range my client gave me).

For example, a while ago I created a color scheme for some Storm Lords (half red, half white with yellow helmets). That color scheme can have major problems with balance and with gaudiness.

In order to mitigate this, I used a very warm white that had the same base color as the yellow (so that those two colors tied together well) and made all of the metallics a dark silver (since gold eagles would probably be gaudy). In addition, I broke up the colors with metallics quite a bit (especially on the tanks) which allowed for the two halfs to feel more joined.

I think this is a skill that I bring to the table, and one of the reasons my clients come to me.

I've commented several times on how fast you seem to churn out such great quality, but i'm wondering just how fast. How many hours do you think you put into that 10 man squad if you don't mind me asking?
I work full time as a painter, so that is definitely one of the secrets. This kind of a unit is probably something around five or six hours altogether (it may be a little more or less).

Do you have any other projects on the go?
I always have a few. Of course, I'm also always accepting more.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I work full time as a painter, so that is definitely one of the secrets. This kind of a unit is probably something around five or six hours altogether (it may be a little more or less).
I was aware you painted full time, but 6 hours for those results totally blows my mind.

I guess I can take solace in the fact that my incredibly slow and mediocre painting skills save me money on models....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts