Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My IG friend and I debate this all the time. The Aura of Decay ability in the Daemon codex states that it hits everything "within 6 inches of the Daemon." Is this measured from the edge of its base or the center? Most of the things I use it on have pretty large bases (Great Unclean Ones, Nurgle Princes) so center or edge could change the radius by about an inch, which tends to be a big deal against his swarm-style IG army.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Edge of the base.

Easy people, if you have a better answer, state it. "That's not an answer" is borderline pedantic.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
If he makes you measure it from the centre then force him to measure to the centre of your base when he tries to shoot you.

"From the base" is not only an answer, its the correct answer, in the simplest terms possible. Everything within 6" is everything within 6" of the base... if you are 5.9" from the centre of the model you are within 6" of the base and so will be hit by it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a better answer.

If your friend wants you to measure from the center of the base, get out the rulebook and open it to page three and start reading the section entitled MEASURING DISTANCES aloud. The first sentence of that section and the nice example diagram are all that's needed.

Presumably, the IG player is feeling put upon because 6" from a 60mm round base is a circle about 14.5" in diameter (instead of just 12" in diameter) but there's no way to fault you for using the 60mm bases that are supplied with those models (and that the book says you're supposed to use) and then following the measurement rules. It might help to explain to the IG player that ranges for things like his banners and such are also measured from nearest point to nearest point, and that that's a much greater advantage for units embarked in vehicles.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a better answer.

If your friend wants you to measure from the center of the base, get out the rulebook and open it to page three and start reading the section entitled MEASURING DISTANCES aloud. The first sentence of that section and the nice example diagram are all that's needed.

Presumably, the IG player is feeling put upon because 6" from a 60mm round base is a circle about 14.5" in diameter (instead of just 12" in diameter) but there's no way to fault you for using the 60mm bases that are supplied with those models (and that the book says you're supposed to use) and then following the measurement rules. It might help to explain to the IG player that ranges for things like his banners and such are also measured from nearest point to nearest point, and that that's a much greater advantage for units embarked in vehicles.
That's a good point, I'll try that. Maybe he won't feel so bad if he can take advantage of that interpretation too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts