Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was reading some articles on Lexicanum and found out that since the end of the Horus Heresy, The Emperor has held audiences with only a few individuals. Among them Inquisitors Jaq Draco and Hextor Rex.

My question is, What would warrant an audience with the master of mankind?
Also, how would you know? Are you cordially invited by the Custodes? Do you just happen to be in the Imperial Dungeon because it was meant to be ?
And what would He discuss with his most important servants?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Ian Watson made the Emperor speak like the wizard of OZ. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on it.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Ian Watson made the Emperor speak like the wizard of OZ. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on it.

can I ask you what novel/source this is from?
its interesting that the Emperor sounds like he has a severe case of DiD

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hector Rex is from the Siege of Vraks in late 40k.

But the old fluff on the Emperor had him being a gestalt being created from thousands of human shamans before historic time. Hence his severe case of split personality in the Inquisition War series as his gestalt self appeared to be slowly crumbling.

But again, bear in mind Inquisition War is truly OLD fluff. Some of the first wh40k writtings. And Games Workshop have gradually been moving away from the ideas of sensei and the star child. The new take on such ageless immortals having been remade as the Perpetuals, and that the Emperor only is one out of them. But because he did something special on Molech, he became something far more.

Edit:

Alicia Dominica and her companions also had an audience with the Emperor and became the founders of the Adepta Sororitas after the fall of Vandire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not a tabletop player but I may have to look into the Imperial Armour volumes detaling the siege of Vraks, tough I doubt they'll shed any light on the audience Rex has had.

Also, I forgot about Alicia Dominica!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Ebon_Chalice

Though not originally recognized under the current name, the Order of the Ebon Chalice represents the original and oldest Order Militant, the direct continuation of the original founding as the Daughters of the Emperor, with combat and religious doctrine, like their uniforms, unchanged for four thousand years. The Order's symbol, a flaming skull-filled chalice, is a representation of the terrible knowledge imparted to Dominica when she was brought before the Golden Throne.

Edit: Came by
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Hector_Rex

Hector Rex also bears the honoured title Auditorii Imperator, which means he has been granted a personal audience with the Emperor Himself, having entered the Emperor's throne room and knelt before the Golden Throne to commune with the Master of Mankind -- one of a very few number of living men and women who has known such a privilege. Even many High Lords of Terra never gain such an honour during their lifetimes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
This also raises the question of what's an audience? Technically, every sanctioned psyker goes through the soul binding process in an audience with the Emperor.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
1: Kneeling before the immobile and silent master of mankind, basking in his radiance and the weight of ages as you speculate on your place in the imperium and reflecting on his sacrifice. But hearing nothing from him, a corpse is a corpse after all.

2: The Emperor actually inflicts psychic visions on his visitors. Though how coherent they are is up to interpretation and debate. Few, if any mortals have the mental fortitude to even remotely grasp the designs of a god/warp entity. Just look at how sanity blasting the ruinous powers can be. But evidence speaks for something inhabiting the golden throne as astropaths are still soulbound and the astronomican functioning.

But if we use Alicia Dominica as an example. She was once previously devoted to Vandire. But after returning from the Golden throne, she denounced him as a heretic and executed him. So clearly she was shown something of great import, as evidenced in the banner used by the Ebon Chalice order.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
First off I did not realize the God-Emporer could even speak at this point; figured his health was too far gone for that. Surprise, surprise the writers altered that again........

In any case Malius thanks for the quote. I will certainly read this as I'm interested in the Master of Mankinds thoughts. It seems to me the Emporer has evolved from a singular force into a heavenly multitude. Similar to how Christianity beleives in God as being Father/Son/Holy Spirit all wrapped into one being.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Who said the Emperor actually speaks to them? Considering the condition of his body, psychic visions would be his only mode of contact. But Alicia Dominica and her companions was sworn to silence about their encounter at the golden throne, I recall an old bit of fluff about the centurion warning them, saying that to speak is death.

And yes, I have the Inqusition War books. And remember. Those books are OLD! Some of the very first fluff that have been mostly retconned They are NOT new. And read closely, they state the Emperor speaks in Jaq's mind, not physically talking to him.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
He speaks through visions much like the Oracles of Delphi did in times past and I thought they had priests that interpreted the visions he sent. I can be in error (especially about the priests) but the rest is unlikely as I think I have read the stuff about centurion of the Custodians warning the Sororitas about that earlier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts