Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now that I have your attention I am tired of boring blah blah SM and want to play Eldar I love the colors of the units all thrown on 1 table the only question is what does every winning Eldar army have what must you have in an Eldar army.

I want to start painting but dont know what to buy I have seen most people take gaurdians but beyond that I have no clue?

What does every SUCCESFUL Eldar army have in it?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Well, I may not play Eldar but I have read a fair bit about them. They are fragile, and must support each other in order to win.

I would recommend going to Ragewind's guide HERE for some really useful advice that makes a lot of sense

·
Registered
114 Posts
wave serpents are a good start

unless you fancy footdar...

but if i was going out today to buy a competative eldar army I would start by bying 5 wave srpents and 3 fire prisms.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The hallmarks of a dead-typical solid Eldar list are:
-everything (except pathfinders) in a transport. The little point that isn't obvious here is that if it's a non-vehicle in the Eldar codex and there isn't a good reason to put it in a transport...don't take it.
(Everyone has their own exceptions to this. I like Warp Spiders, some people swear by their Dark Reapers or outflanking Striking Scorpions...I'd suggest that you try any and all of the less solid units out by proxying them. All I'm suggesting are things that you will probably use.)

HQ: Assuming you plan to field at 1k points or more, Farseers are by far the most common choice. They're very good, and not very expensive. You may also want to try Eldrad. You will see other HQ's, particularly double-Autarch builds that use reserves a lot.

Troops: By far the most common troop is Dire Avengers, in one of two setups:
1)Squads of ten. You probably have an Exarch with dual catapults and Bladestorm.
2)Squads of five, no upgrades. These squads are taken to make transports count as scoring. They almost never get out.
After that, a squad of (depending on the total points value) 5-7 Pathfinders can sit in cover, piss off monstrous creatures and generally not die except to flamers or cc.

Elites: Okay, close combat choices, cool. But the most common choice out of Elites are Fire Dragons. One (or more) squad of 5-6, in a transport (wave serpent preferable), there to blow shit up.

Heavy Support: Falcons and/or Fire Prisms are the most popular, with Fire Prisms pulling ahead. Obviously, you tend to field Prisms in pairs (sometimes three at a time).

So I'd buy through of all of the above, getting a wave serpent or *maybe* falcon for everything you need to transport. Any and all smart ideas that go outside that, proxy test first. It's not even that there aren't other great things out there, it's that most of the lists people come down to revolve around these options with a sprinkling of other choices.

The only exception I can think of is if you want to field a jetbike army. Well, DA's and rangers won't do you much good. Hold off on buying and proxy, because eldar jetbikes are a little strange.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think Jac nailed it. I could wax poetic about it... and I probably will, at some point, but that's the bulk of the story.

A successful Eldar list (although I'm expecting a dissenting opinion on that Real Soon Now... :p ) has Wave Serpents. It's the best way to roll, er, glide.

A "successful" Eldar list probably also only uses it's elites slots for fire dragons, for that matter.

You should come over to the Eldar Lists forum and chat us up!

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Scorpions! Every list has to have Scorpions!

not really, but they are awesome anyway...:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
For a really competitive list dragons, wave serpents, fire prisms and a farseer/Eldrad. However you can make a good solid list without just spamming Fire Dragons and serpents ect, depends really what your meta game is like.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
My successful Eldar army is Wraithguard x20 as troops, and several units of Pathfinders as troops and Wraithlords and a Farseer. Keep enemies pinned with the snipers until the WG get into range and then you win. Simple :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok its looking like Farseer,Fire Dragons,Dire Avengers,Fire Prisms,Wave Serpents,and maybe Scorpions,for up close.
I think I will make out a list and post it thanks guys I am shooting for 1500

1 - 10 of 10 Posts