Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently play csm and my brother plays sm whenever we play though these guys hammer and storm shield combo just seem to destroy everything, I should mention we play at 1000 points as he does not currently have enough models to go higher but every unit I have tried to combat this squad just seems ineffective. I have only been playing since December so am having a few problems balancing my army, any ideas on what I could try to help out?

I think my main problem is he fields lots of heavy weapons 5 man devastor with 4 rockets, dreadnought in drop pod w/multimelta, 10 man tac with multimelta, scouts w/telion and then the terms deepstrike in with a librarian so any heavys i have are taken out first turn by the dread and the librarian stops me form using psy abilities.

Also my army usually has berzerkers and plague marines as troops both with rhinos, daemon prince as hq, terminators (thought they'd help combat his they dont), obliterator leaving me with enough points to try different units but havent found anything to really help.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Assault terminators are a pain. But the thing to get rid of them is lots and lots of shooting. There are only so many 2+ saves he can make. Remember that he cant move in his deep strike turn so that gives you a turn to move away from him. The librarian is a bit of a pain, but it cant work everytime against a deamon prince?

What chaos power is your prince?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prince is Tzeentch, I also understand what your saying about lots of shots but chaos units are not all that cheap to get many, and with them deepstriking in after one turn they usually just move through and cut units down easily

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
The other option is to make you forces more mobile. Once he has deep struck his terminators run away and tackle something else. They are pretty slow on foot compared to a rhino. Obviosuly this does leave you open to the heavy weapons from his squads.

·
Registered
468 Posts
TH/SS are generaly a problem for CSM but thats because they are in a LR, if they are DSing they are much more vunerable.

It seems you have a good mix of units a prince for HQ, some zerks and some PM's an oblit and some termies (they have thier place).

but you should probably list all the models you have available as we can reel off a bunch of stuff you can do but it's all pointless if you don't have the models to do it.

However some simple suggestions are:

Make sure your PM squad has 2 of the same weapon, both melta and plasma are usefull in different ways plasma can help if you're opponent isn't using transports and melta is good if he decides to DS his dread right next to your army.

Make sure your zerk squad has a champ idealy with a fist, some people prefer a S5 I5 PW but that wont help you if you end up in combat with a dread.

An inherant problem with deepstriking armies is that units can often be isolated and easily picked off. By keeping your army together when he deepstrikes if he chooses to DS close your entire army can turn and deal with the Dread or termies as a group. If he deepstrikes further away your rhino's can simply move away and avoid him.

Take Wings, Warptime and wind of chaos on your prince, if his TH/SS termies are deepstriking close you will hit all 5, auto hitting, wounding on 4's with rerolls ignoring armour. Combine that with oblits shooting plasma cannons and the rest of your shooting from zerkers, PM's and termies some WILL die and the subsequent assault by a warptime tzeentch prince, zerks + anything else near enough i doubt any will survive to attack back.

I could probably list more but idealy would need a list of models that you could field.

Happy hunting :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas, I think I may try fielding thousand suns instead of the plague marines w/rhino as these should help cut down the marines meaning I dont have to worry about heavy weapons when moving back from the terminators

·
Registered
494 Posts
As suggested above, Shoot at them alot.

Use the obliterators to plasma cannon them, forcing them to make the invunerable saves. Just use a few AP1 and AP2 guns to get them to about 2-3. Charge 'em with zerkers and *POW* they should be dead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts