Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around didn't see anything on this and pardon the noob question, I'm just getting into 40k starting a tyranid army, I picked up a battle force with 40 termagaunts, if I equip them with devourers, which have assault 3, does that mean a fulll unit of 30 termagaunts with devourers, has 90 attacks? the rules as I read them make it seem that way, but I wanted to make sure

·
Registered
199 Posts
I looked around didn't see anything on this and pardon the noob question, I'm just getting into 40k starting a tyranid army, I picked up a battle force with 40 termagaunts, if I equip them with devourers, which have assault 3, does that mean a fulll unit of 30 termagaunts with devourers, has 90 attacks? the rules as I read them make it seem that way, but I wanted to make sure
Yes, in the shooting phase each termagaunt has three shots with devourer. So a unit of 30 has 90 shooting attacks.

In assault phase however each termagaunt will attack with their assault weapon. Since they do not have one - it is their basic strength and basic attacks. (unless +1 for charging)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
'Assault 3' has nothing to do with the assault phase. it is an 'Assault' class of ranged weapon, which means that you can fire it 3 times, and still assault that turn. A 'Heavy 3', for instance, means that you fire 3 times only if you don't move, because it's a heavy weapon (unless the unit gets around Heavy for some reason).

Basically, any weapon that has a range has nothing to do with Close Combat.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Termagants with Devourers shoot three times, but only attack in close combat once. Your gun pretty much never affects your close combat attacks unless it's a Pistol.

Assault as a weapon designation simply means you can move and assault before and after firing it respectively - it is confusing that it's called an 'assault weapon' when it's not actually used in 'assault' (close combat), but it's to distinguish it from Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons (which cannot be fired before charging).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aye I should have specified i did mean shooting phase, not cc phase, i know they'd only get their atk characteristic for cc, but i was unsure if that really meant a full sized unit of terms got 90 attacks in shooting

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
yup 90 shooting attacks

90 x .5 (Gants are BS3 requires 4's to hit) = 45 hits

45 x .5 (Devourer is Strength 4 IIRC) = 22 or 23 wounds

22.5 x .3333333 (Marines fail 1/3 of all saving throws) = 7.5 deaths

----

at least in theory.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It is priceless to see the look on the opponants face when you start that units shooting

:biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts