Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first model for my new Blood angels jp army and its the first model i have put serious effort into (washes,highlights, trying to take mouldlines off, etc). Looking at these i see all the bad things, it really does look nice at least to me, and on the mould lines i tried my darndest and at times went a little too far. Try to be nice:p all that is left is squad marking and chapter/company transfers which will go down once i get a slightly steadier hand, if i ever do i shake so bad i have to steady the model on the table.

(the vents look much dirtier in person)

(the eye booboo is not so noticeable either)

(yucky mould lines i know, i tried to get them all but must have missed these)

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
copy and paste the img code. nice model by the way, i like the dark red, it looks better than the citrus blood angels :),

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
one bit of advice, water your mechrite red down to a relatively thin consistency, it may take an extra coat of paint to get full coverage, but it stops the tiny lumps from appearing. i would do this with all of your paints if you want really smooth finishes

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i just now noticed that sort of stuff now that you mention it, how do you thin the paints in a controlled manner?

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
yeah i just now noticed that sort of stuff now that you mention it, how do you thin the paints in a controlled manner?
put a blob of paint on the palette then add a few drops of water until it is a nice smooth consistency, about that of milk. that is what i go by

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrighty going to have to try that for the next one. It's tricky bc the paint really doesn't seem thick, especially the yellow, took like 6ish coats.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The paints definitely need watering down, but your painting is nice and neat so you've done the hard part. Thin out your paint and this will be looking even better :victory:

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
If you want a good tutorial vid on go with painting awsomepaintjob on YouTube it good.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow I'm humbled by the compliments especially from varakir, I look at your models and despair but maybe there is hope. And a quick but silly question. How do you get the paint from the pot to the palette?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
And a quick but silly question. How do you get the paint from the pot to the palette?
The vallejo dropper bottles are brilliant for this, but for GW paints i use cocktail sticks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright will give it a go for the next one. Thanks again everyone it's heartening to know I am not the only one who likes him even partially:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I find a good way to paint yellow is to use vomit brown, and then golden yellow. Vomit brown is already almost yellow, so it works well as a base, and is already thick enough to go on in a coat or two. Yellows are tricky because they don't go on most colours well, so it takes a lot of coats and begins to build up (even though the paint may seem thin), so its always better to stop if you see it building up, and maybe touch it up later. Overall, good marine, good luck with the blood angels!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I might have over done the wash at times as it was my first time using one that and I really wanted it to seem like they had been campaigning for quite some time.

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you have white primer, use it to spray just the helmet separately. It'll go on smoothly with less coats. But don't buy a $15 can of white primer just for helmets. You could use white on the entire model, to make it a little brighter that this one. The red you have now looks a little more like Flesh Tearers (?) red, which quite frankly I prefer.
Also for brighter colors try the Sephion Grephia (?) wash instead of the Devlan Mud. It's a little more subtle and gives your model more of a shade effect than the discoloration that Devlan does on light colors. Other than that, great jop. +REP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts