Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Death Cult

Votes: 3 10.7%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the different kinds of assassins is the best for a WH/DH army?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Most people tend to go for the Callidus. Personally (and as I don't play much) I go for the Vindacre just because the fluff of the ultimate sniper is to good to pass up. Its cheesy but my god its good. Plus the mini is nice. But yes *ahem* back on topic, ah the Callidus is the way to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Callidus, as has already been mentioned, is the best value for points, and has a wide range of advantages and possible uses.

You could pretty much write the thing its own tactica.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Statistically it doesn't kill as much as the Callidus due to it using a ranged weapon that isn't blast.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I think it sort of depends on what you need in the army. I like using all four of them (not at the same time, of course!) just to use 'em. The Vindicare is the most fun to use, I think, even if it's not the most effective overall. My experience has been that the Eversor is the best buy for the points, as it's quite inexpensive, it's very quick, and it'll pay for itself in close combat without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i used to use the vindicare before 3rd ed and now i realised you cant use him.

i believe all assassins are great depending on which army you face

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
i would go for vindicare. I like the idea of an umltimate sniper

·
Registered
666 Posts
Why can't you use the vindicare anymore? Anyway the vindicare can kill indepedant characters and sergeants and on a good roll...tanks. In addition he has some awesome fluff and the model of him standing on the skull is sweet.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Sadly the vindicare isn't as cool as the fluff states. It only has less than 50% chance of wounding a model, even less if the model is in cover. Most of its cool stuff is one use only. It is a very tactical unit and don't expect it to make its point back in the game. That being said you can do some nasty things with it, picking off pw fist sergeants, or my favourite picking off the middle guy in a devastator squad to make the fall out of unit coherency.

I say go with the callidus or eversor

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> I say it depends on what army your playing. If you playing as WH against Eldar wi Farseers and/or Warlocks, then use the Cellexus as its hard as fuck against psyker heavy armies. Anything else with either WH/DH, then take the one you think will fair better against enemy. Vindicare for sniping big gribblies, Callidus against combat troops, specially meqs. Eversor for just about owt. Other peeps will say differernt, but these are just my thoughts.:victory: Buy them all dude, then you dont have to decide on only one.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
these are pors and cons of the assassins which i've come up with there are probaly a lot more for each but this is what i've got so far

vindicare
pros:
  • opponent has to roll to see them
  • AP2 sniper
  • always wounds on a 4+
  • different types of rounds
  • good models
cons:
  • expensive points wise
  • rarely gain points back
  • an obvious target for assault squads
  • a command squads nightmare
  • bad model
callidus
pros:
  • good special rules polymorph etc
  • c'tan blade
  • neural shredder can be very nasty
cons
  • slow moving
  • obvious target for shooting
Evesor
pros:
  • very quick
  • lots of attacks
  • always wounds on a 4+
  • bio-meltdown
  • good model
cons:
  • obvious target for heavy weapon units
  • difficult to deploy when infiltrating.
cellexus
pros
  • a psykers nightmare
  • great model
  • lots of special rules
cons
  • only usful when facing an army with a psyker
  • will get raped incombat
  • obvious target in opponents tactic relys on the psyker

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
dark angels can take assassins now ya?
i talked to a dude about it and he said u have to take an inqus before u can take an assassin, but u CAN do it now

·
Registered
368 Posts
I field a vindicare in my witch hunters 90% of the time. If i have a very specific objective in a game i take the callidus as she is essentially a one use only assassin. You put her somewhere she kills what she's told to then she gets shot loads and dies. But she usually gets the job done.
If i'm just going to wing it i'll take the Vindicare. Sniping out powerfist/plamsa pistol champions is always a good option. If you get lucky maybe even a HQ choice

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buy them all dude, then you dont have to decide on only one.
The reason I started this thread is because I only want to pick one, two at the most. At least until I get a large army and a decent sum of money, getting all of them is out of the question for me.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The vindicare is probably my favorite assassin. It may not get its points back but when your enemy buys 75 points worth of space marine tactical squad to field 1 lascannon by taking out the lascannon you take the teeth out of that squad and it's like they wasted 75 points. The most dangerous part of an ork mob to a Demonhunter is the nob with the power klaw. Take him out and your termies/whatever will have a much better time in cc.

The points killed by the vindicare really don't reflect its usefulness.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
also the strength 5 AP 2 pistol that the vindicare carries does a decent amount for anybody who attempts to get in close to him. mine has personally forced an assaulting chaos space marine to retreat from only himself.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts