Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Half the problems the paperwork... half the problems that jails are full of people that could be gotten rid of....

Cops hate paperwork and so try and do the least amount possible. I've got friends in the police and I know if theres a way they can possible let someone off so they don't have to arrest then, even though the law says they should, they'll take it.

Then the jails.. I believe its something like 30% of prisoners are foreign nationals... Why the hell aren't we deporting these people back to their own countries?

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Then the jails.. I believe its something like 30% of prisoners are foreign nationals... Why the hell aren't we deporting these people back to their own countries?
"Human Rights" or something..... :ireful2:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
"Human Rights" or something..... :ireful2:
after watching Boarder Force tonight this is apt. An African male who served four years in prison raping a 12 year old girl was deported back to his own country and he still filed an appeal....he was escourted all the way back to Lagos with four burley security guards to make sure he got there.

our prison system is overloaded and as Tawa says Human Rights and all that...when i was a kid, i was always taught when you entered Prison you lost your human rights, except bed and food and you had to pay your debt to society.

nowadays they get TV, Radios, treated with kid gloves and if they start a riot, the Prison Officers have to watch what they do or else they get sued...no wonder some people wanna go back inside...its more cushy then out here.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
after watching Boarder Force tonight this is apt. An African male who served four years in prison raping a 12 year old girl was deported back to his own country and he still filed an appeal....he was escourted all the way back to Lagos with four burley security guards to make sure he got there.
Those are the guys that should just be stood against a wall...... :security:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
No-one fears the consequences anymore... that's the problem with the world...

Quite frankly prison needs to return to being locked up in solitary for 20 hours a day and only let out for hard labour in a chain gang breaking rocks with minimal basic rations... screw human rights for those that have violated those said same rights in others.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Yes, this is the most troubling news. They should dump them on some island and let them fend for themselves.

I actually must disagree on the Human Rights though. It's the lawyers in my opinion. The Defense lawyers make money if there guy is aquitted or released (Probono by the state I believe). Thus they don't want to let him get to jail because it makes them more money than if he does.

In my opinion 10 is the most you should ever be arrested. Again, depends on the crime but a robber for instance should never go beyond 5. Murders 2, Rapist/Series Killers 1, Pot users zilch, Capitols never. It's sad the messed up Law system we have, but it's in the name of freedom and democracy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Arrested is not the issue, how many times he was charged with some kind of crime should be what counts, after all you can be arrested for something you didn't do.....

As for putting people in solitary/up against the wall etc: there are a great many mistakes made by the "justice" systems of all western nations, wrongful imprisonment is bad enough, 20 years in solitary would be much worse, shooting even harder to put right, so human rights have their uses. The price we pay for a reasonably fair system is that it must be moderate and, insofar as is possible, respectful of individuals within it. If you want a harsh legal system, go live somewhere like China, where hard labour camps, solitary confinement and state executions are all common, along with torture and political opression....

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Arrested is not the issue, how many times he was charged with some kind of crime should be what counts, after all you can be arrested for something you didn't do.....

As for putting people in solitary/up against the wall etc: there are a great many mistakes made by the "justice" systems of all western nations, wrongful imprisonment is bad enough, 20 years in solitary would be much worse, shooting even harder to put right, so human rights have their uses. The price we pay for a reasonably fair system is that it must be moderate and, insofar as is possible, respectful of individuals within it. If you want a harsh legal system, go live somewhere like China, where hard labour camps, solitary confinement and state executions are all common, along with torture and political opression....
Couldn't agree more.

"Up against the wall" is the cry of those dullard who want the easy fix, a certain late 30's early 40's Central European leader for example.

I also see that most of her crimes are relative misdemeanours but in true style someone that needs our help is left to be dealt with people who can only really punish.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
our prison system is overloaded and as Tawa says Human Rights and all that...when i was a kid, i was always taught when you entered Prison you lost your human rights, except bed and food and you had to pay your debt to society.
This^

If you offend against society in a serious or ongoing and proven way then I fail to see why you should continue to enjoy the gifts that soceity gives you. You've shown you don't respect the common laws of soceity so why should you be protected by them?

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
If you offend against society in a serious or ongoing and proven way then I fail to see why you should continue to enjoy the gifts that society gives you. You've shown you don't respect the common laws of society so why should you be protected by them?
Unfortunately the liberals have decided that prisoners are just people too, and deserve every right that a law abiding, tax paying, constructive and contributing member of society has, even though in many cases the same prisoners have never done or been any of the above.

I've worked in the Irish prison system for the last 5 year, and it constantly shocks me just how soft the system is. We have so many groups sticking their noses in, like the Red Cross, Amnesty International, the Inspector of Prisons, the CPT, which is an EU group that investigates torture, it's endless.

Governments, particularly European ones, are afraid of being slated by bodies like this, and will do anything to avoid being labelled human rights abusers, when really they should be giving them the finger and telling them that human rights is a two way street, and that you need to earn those rights by abiding by societal norms. If you choose to ignore the law and impinge on the rights of others to go about their lives without the threat of harassment/mugging/rape/murder etc, then the system should make sure you forego your right to be treated in the same manner as a law abiding citizen.

Prison is a punishment, and should be treated as such. I'm not saying prisons should be like gulags, but they should be run in a way that actively discourages people from going back to it. The bleeding hearts that bleat that loss of your liberty is punishment enough have never been the victims of serious crime, and are not in touch with the ordinary Joe who thinks the punishment should fit the crime.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Prison is a punishment, and should be treated as such. I'm not saying prisons should be like gulags, but they should be run in a way that actively discourages people from going back to it. The bleeding hearts that bleat that loss of your liberty is punishment enough have never been the victims of serious crime, and are not in touch with the ordinary Joe who thinks the punishment should fit the crime.
I couldn't agree more. While I understand that not every individual that is convicted is guilty and there should be an appeal process that appeal should be limited to 1 attempt. if the case hasn't been settled after 6 months then the appeal fails. simple as that. why allow it to drag out or to get extensions. I understand that there will be individuals that may be innocent that get burned but even with the best process we have available that will happen anyway. What this will eliminate is having taxpayers pay millions of dollars per year to keep murderers and serial killers alive while they contest their "rights" in a legal battle that is drawn out over the course of a decade.

Nothing gets to me more than having to sit and watch people get off easy because they are "insane". Rabies causes insanity in dogs and we end up putting them down, even if it was our most beloved family pet. You cannot sit there and tell me that the Boston bomber suspect, or the guy that shot up the movie theater in Colorado are not insane. Why on earth do we need to be sensitive to these people? They certainly weren't when they did what they did.

Human rights are essential I will never disagree with that but at what point can we as a society draw a line? Do we really want to give rapists a second chance to repeat offend? Would any parent on here want to live next door to a man/woman that molested little kids? Its not a question of how many times should someone be arrested. That answer is simple. 1. A Better would be: How do we make the punishment fit the crime?

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Prison is a punishment, and should be treated as such. I'm not saying prisons should be like gulags, but they should be run in a way that actively discourages people from going back to it.
A climate of fear only works on some people, and even then relies on criminals thinking they will get caught (based on the experience of coppers I have discussed it with most repeat offenders think they are much smarter than they really are).

I much prefer a criminal justice system that investigates whether someone can be redeemed before it abandons them to an oubliette.

The bleeding hearts that bleat that loss of your liberty is punishment enough have never been the victims of serious crime, and are not in touch with the ordinary Joe who thinks the punishment should fit the crime.
A blatant generalisation.

I have been attacked several times, once by four men who left me needing dental surgery, and still believe that a return to the Victorian brutality of hard labour is not the answer. I am not the only liberal who has faced violence.

Also, as the history of Christianity shows from both sides, being in the majority does not automatically put one in the right on issues of ethics or psychology, so ordinary people wanting vengeance does not make it the best solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts