Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im quite confused right now about some things still. I learned about 40k 5 years ago when I was 11 and I watched some games played. Im still abut confused could someone explain to me a little bit more and anybody got any ideas to get some money fast I need to still get my army together.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A job helps. Or get your parents to get you a rule book as a gift. Not much we can do for you besides correct you on rules you get wrong. Well we can sorta discuss rules, just not stat lines and such.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If there's an army that draws your attention the most, the community here may be able to suggest small army builds with specific economic stipulations in mind that are still effective on the table. It really helps save money to go after a specific list of models rather than buying whatever looks cool, but bear in mind I like playing the game the most out of this hobby. I've bought a few models based off the 'rule of cool', but most have been specific to strategic intentions.

Are there any factions of 40k that interest you more than others? I myself am primarily a Blood Angels fan, but venture out into many other factions within the Imperium and even Necrons as well with my collection of models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The three main armys that I will play as are the Space Wolves < Word Bearers, and Tyranids. I heard that the Necrons are real confusing to play with and I also heard that imperial battles are mainly won because you have to amass such a large army of imperials. I went onto Games Workshop today and listed my army and supplies that I need. It all totals up to over $5,000 I tried to apply at the subway across the street from my school but I have no word back yet. Maybe my mom can get me something for my Seinor graduation present next year. maybe something like an assault pack. Do you think I could make my Tyranid Marines army and use them in battle and just use basic rules of space marines and throw in a few Tyranid rules for my army.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I don't find Necrons very confusing, but hey. What can you do. Imperials don't always win, by and large the most powerful armies right now from what I understand are Tau and Eldar. As far as count-as models go that's entirely up to your opponent and your ability to make clear what models are using what rule sets. I don't see any reason why you couldn't convert an army of marine and Tyranid hybrids. I have long considered converting a squad of Death Company with a Reclusiarch to look like they've been salvaged from the battlefield by Necrons and re purposed for the Overlord's uses, controlled through Mindshackle Scarabs (though I have enough projects on the go).

If you want advice for building a Space Wolf, Word Bearer themed Chaos Space Marine, or Tyranid army try posting in any of their respective Army List threads. If you post with some units you think are cool and want to play, how many points you'd like to play up to, and potentially a price limit to your spending, there are many Heresy members that can help you out. A way to save a lot of money is buy purchasing models via eBay or other various independent model retailers, who can often offer discounts where Games Workshop just takes your money with a smile.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
5000$? I think you should take a step back begore you burn yourself out! Start small and leave the greater goals as a farflung dream for now. I have been in the hobby for almost 10 years now and had my first experience with it 20 years ago. I have still not put that kind of money on it combined. And I have two armies that I collect. Buying to much or to have to big plans that take far to long to accomplish will only burn you out. Start small, I would advice you to play around with some army lists around 750-1000p. These don't take that much time to collect. And since you don't have a job, try make most out of the money and look for 2nd hand stuff.

Good luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
My suggestion is to buy the Rulebook and read it through. After that select one army and buy the codex.
Read the codex through and select one HQ and 2 Troops and maybe something else to do a 500pt list. Then play a game and start buying units one by one in accordance with what you need.

A tip to stay cost effective is to buy magnetize your army, so you can easily change your options.

Building an army takes time - painting a unit well takes time - so there is no point buying everything at once since you won't be able to field it asap.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
FIVE GRAND!?!?!? Were you trying to purchase an entire company of marines?1

You can start the game out with just 100 quid, so 200 dollars should be plenty. Aim for that.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Yeah, you seem to be shooting for the stars from the outset.

Start off small, one unit at a time. There's nothing more daunting or disheartening than having a huge pile of boxes of unassembled stuff lying around. Pick a single army to start off with, and buy a single unit to try and get painted up. When you get them done, treat yourself to another purchase. This can help motivate finishing a unit, but it also means that if, after painting up a box or two, you realise you're not enjoying painting or playing with them that much, you've not sunk that much cash into the army. This can be a big factor if you haven't got a lot of spare hobby cash to begin with.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Another option that people don't seem to have said is things like eBay and other such sites. People are continually flogging off stuff they don't use, having either got bored with it or have moved on to something else or given up the game.
Taking a look at stuff in your price range and reverse engineering the price to see if it is worth what the person is asking is kinda easy to do. Things like Vehicles (Dreadnaughts in this case) are listed on there for £1 to start, and normally reach about £5-10 at the end in my experience. Considering brand new they are £28 it is a hell of a saving.

I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS SELLER OR HIS STUFF, BUT USING IT AS AN EXAMPLE!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer...78?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item43d0f5a2e2

for example has a:
Land raider (£45)
2 Dreadnaughts (£28 each)
Rhino (£22.50)
Whirlwind (£35)
5 Jump Pack Assault Marines (£20 for 5)
5 Terminators (£28)
5 Devastators (1 heavy bolters, 1 lascannon, 1 multimelta, 1 plasma cannon) (£20.50)
1 Captain (£11)
1 Techmarine (£13)
20ish other marines (some with flamers and stuff) (£25 for 10)

So aprox price for all that would be about £300 if all bought separately from GW. THOUGH of course not every listing can be trusted on eBay and all that. But as you can see it is over 1/3 off if that one is genuine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thats what Im going for right now. I could start it all off small and get to my goal of it all together.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You can start a decent army with just £200 or so, £5grand is a dream im sure even many seasoned vets don't reach!
Start with the rule book, then the codex
Many try to loan some armies off of friends or whoever first to see if you like them or not... Everyone plays different and likes different things, when I joined I made the mistake of thinking I'd like what my friends liked, I wasted £150 on smerfs before I realised I liked tau, and eventually blood Angels all melee...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts