Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever created an army list, calculated it, found how big your army is, left the list as is, then just added on the extra points for what ever new unit youve bought, only to find after youve decided to recalculated your list that its ends up 100s of points bigger then you realised,
this just happened to me, as i bought the forgeworld khorne conversion kit and termies today, made up the squad added it to my army list, calculated the points and just added it to the total points, thinking to myself i finally reached 7000pts and one a whim decided to recalculate how many points my army was to find out that i was around 500pts out, bloody surpising that, so instead of just reaching 7000pts its instead 7440pts.
happened to anyone?
it starting getting hard to keep track of how many points i have with such a large army

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Nope. Never happened.:grin:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've been way under before, but not I can't think of a time I had way too many points... I once went a few turns at -300pts before I noticed we'd agreed on different sizes, but that's it.

@Yanlou: Have you seen the WD after Apoc was introduced? The battle report had a nice little disclaimer that the staff wasn't able to count everything up, so it was more guesswork and approximation than anything else. The bigger the fight, the less important that extra squad becomes. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just the other day I tallyed up 2k of Night Lords in my head, checked everything once I'd found a calculator(that is my girlfriend reminded me I have a phone with a calulator) and was nearly 300pts out, so got some more raptors!

Never turned up to a battle with the wrong points by miscalculation, but have once before thinking we'd agreed on different points size. It happens.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah unfortunataly i started after apoc was introduced, but from the sounds of it they make a gd point, everytime i add a new unit it gets harder to keep track, whats it going to be like when i reach 15000pts lol

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
When I first started playing again, I wrote myself a 1500pt, 2000pt and 1850pt list for my Eldar. Wasn't until ~4 months of playing my housemate every week before I realised all of my lists were 300pts under (because I had copy-pasted the 1500pt list and then just added stuff). I still won or drew every single game though, so it wasn't that bad! :laugh:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
For a long time (as in until a few weeks ago), I had been playing an 1850-point list in 2000 point games. The list was 2000 in the last Codex: Space Marines, and I think sometimes I just sort of let memory take over. Not only did I win 150 points in the hole, but I consistently beat power builds and silly crap with a handful of Tactical Squads and mad skillz.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've found that explictly marking squad, upgrade and other such costs and subtotals and then going over it with a graphing calculator whenever I make a change helps a lot. It sounds like a lot more work, but since you can check any given thing seperately you can double-check everything and it costs you almost no time/work. Additionally, it gives you a better idea of how everything breaks down when it comes to making changes/tweaks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't really know how big my CSM army is, just that I could probably manage to make an army somewhere over 4000 points. I've got a decent chunk of old 2nd ed models, most of which looks so bad I'd never dream of taking them out unless I was desperate.

I've not even tried to see how big an army I could field, because if I took as many models as I could it would be a pretty rubbish army. I don't really have fixed squads, just a load of random marine models with various weapons and stuff. So until I form them into some kind of army it's pretty meaningless.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i try and keep my squads fixed as possible i do have a few single marines around, all have some sort of special or heavy weapon, but thats just incase i want more then 1 of the same weapon in a squad, having fixed makes it easier to keeo count of my points,
i havent even played with my full force of csm's just dont have any carry cases to take them for gaming, i reckon ill have about 10000-15000 points before i get a carry case lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have 18000+ pts of BA. I've had to put them into squads, simply because when you have 300+ red marines running around it gets kind of crazy. But of course with the new codex some of my squads have to be shifted around to take advantage of the changes in squad construction. Oh well. Gives me something to do.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I had around 10,000pts of marines at one point. added a lot since then, changed squad set ups, and went through a new codex so I have no idea what I'm sporting now..... In games, especially the pdf codex for BA I forgot to add the jump packs for free DC til the very end And from that i'd be a bit up but I'd always let my opponent take soemthing extra because of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts