Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm going to play tournament 25th of May.
I will go with Grey Knights List.

Please, say your opinion!

Crowe with Land Raider Crusader

Librarian (lvl 2 with gap disformity, summon call, etc... )with Purifiying of Crowe (9 with Nemesis Sword and 1 psycannon) in StormReaven

Stormreaven with 10 Purifiiying of Crowe (7 with nemesis sword and 1 psycannon, 2 with nemesis hammer).

Rhino with 5 Purifying of Crowe (2 nemesis sword, 1 twice nemesis swords, 1 1 nemesis hammer, 1 psycannon) with a TecnoMarine with Beam and orbital transmitter.

All vehicle have Disform Stability.

1998 points.

I tested that army list and have good results. My objective is played agressive in one direction and anybody walk!

Sorry if any name not is correct. My codex is Spanish (for misfortune, not in Catalan...) and don't know the names in English.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi!

Why are you spending 255 points to transport Crowe around solo?
not only is this massively in-efficient but you're completly wasting his "The Blade of Antwyr" rule

Librarian (lvl 2 with gap disformity, summon call, etc... )with Purifiying of Crowe (9 with Nemesis Sword and 1 psycannon) in StormReaven

1 psycannon seems like an odd choice, either take all 4 or replace with some incinerators.

Stormreaven with 10 Purifiiying of Crowe (7 with nemesis sword and 1 psycannon, 2 with nemesis hammer).

same as above.

Rhino with 5 Purifying of Crowe (2 nemesis sword, 1 twice nemesis swords, 1 1 nemesis hammer, 1 psycannon) with a TecnoMarine with Beam and orbital transmitter.

I really don't understand the point of this unit, it's an expensive small close combat unit in a rhino with a techmarine with TWO heavy weapons, 1 of which wants to be at least 42 inches away.
honestly i would either just drop this unit entirely or drop the techmarine and add psycannons/bodies.

THANKS!!

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I don't see the point of Crowe by himself in a land raider and only one psycannon is a waste for the Purifiers.

I'm not a fan of the Orbital Bombardment either but if it works for you all well and good.

For a little help with the English translations:
Disformity = warp
Gap Disformity = Warp Rift,
Summon Call = "The Summoning"
Disform Stability = Warp Stabilisation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi!

The intention of Crowe will be a focus for enemy team. Incinerator do low damange and sacrifes a nemesis sword.

If I don't put a TecnoMarine, you would put?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crowe Solo? Crowe always go Solo. Better in transport that go alone walking in the battlefield.

Awtyr rules is only when enemy assault you.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Hi!

The intention of Crowe will be a focus for enemy team. Incinerator do low damange and sacrifes a nemesis sword.

If I don't put a TecnoMarine, you would put?
Psycannon not Incinerator. 4 x S7 Rending shots at 24" are better than 2 x S4 (maybe 5) AP3 in Close Combat only.

The Techmarine is a solid choice, I'd just not bother with the orbital bombardment.

Crowe Solo? Crowe always go Solo. Better in transport that go alone walking in the battlefield.

Awtyr rules is only when enemy assault you.
Fair enough but the Land Raider can be put to better use than just driving Crowe about.

You can diffuse a lot of Crowe's bad points by placing him in the middle of a squad so the enemy can't get to him, and he is VERY effective in challenges.

Reactions: Arlequí Bergant

·
Registered
396 Posts
good day

make all purifiers with swords have halberds. you go first with int more so then not. land raider with with stormraven makes for expensive units and point sink. suggest more units.

suggest puriifeirs have 4 psycannons if equal to 10. the weapon is deadly and can take down units fast. Have libby purifier have 2 incinerators which are free if you wish for counter attack ability plus again halberds mean 2 attack models go first more so.

these are grey knights with many abilities dont limit yourself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enough but the Land Raider can be put to better use than just driving Crowe about.

You can diffuse a lot of Crowe's bad points by placing him in the middle of a squad so the enemy can't get to him, and he is VERY effective in challenges.
Yes, I know it, but if I put all units in transport and Crowe can't join a unit, i can't put alone, Crowe would be a sieve.

Better maybe to be put Crowe at the back of terminators or some unt that go walking...

This sunday will test vs other enemies. I will send my feelings.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I know it, but if I put all units in transport and Crowe can't join a unit, i can't put alone, Crowe would be a sieve.

Better maybe to be put Crowe at the back of terminators or some unt that go walking...

This sunday will test vs other enemies. I will send my feelings.

Thanks!
stormravens can carry 12 models, put crowe with the 10man purifier squad.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hi!
I know this sounds blunt, but I just wouldn't use Crowe. Purifiers are fine, but I'd just take them as Elites, shifting them to troops is not worth the Crowe tax, especially when you can just take Strike Squads.

I assume this translates to Librarian with ML2, Warp Rift, The Summoning, Hammerhand and 10 Purifiers with 1 Psycannons in a Stormraven?

All vehicle have Disform Stability.

1998 points.
I assume the plan is to bring Ravens on aggressively and then use the Summoning to bring more aggressive threats into the opponent's lines? There are a few problems with this:

1. You cannot cast the Summoning on the turn you arrive from reserves. It's just a quirky rule in the BYB Psychic Powers section; any power that happens at the start of the turn cannot be cast after the psyker has arrived from reserves. This leads into the next problem

2. if your opponent brings any reasonable amount of anti air Firepower, you're pretty much going to die. Tau, Guard, and Necrons will be able to shoot down your zooming flyers before you have an opportunity to summon (or assault for that matter), and that means the guys inside those ravens are each going to take a S9 AP2(?) hit when that happens, which will instant death your Librarian. Also note that the three armies i noted above are pretty much the most common allies as well, since they're Allies of Convenience with basically everyone.

This really all boils one to one problem, and it's a problem I've noticed with a lot of GK lists posted on this forum: You're trying to play Grey Knights as an assault army, when that's really not what they're good at. At best, Grey Knights are a combined arms army, and they really are more of a shooting army that blasts away at their opponent, and then assaults whatever is left in order to finish them off.

Sorry if any name not is correct. My codex is Spanish (for misfortune, not in Catalan...) and don't know the names in English.

THANKS!!
Don't worry about your English, it's still far better than a lot of the native speakers around here! (or so I remember)

You can't, Crowe is not an independent character, and hence cannot join a unit, including in a transport. It's the whole reason he's terrible.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
As has been said, you can't do that.

Crowe is a useful unit and can make a real difference particularly in challenges and making Puries Troops is a great help.

It's getting him to and from is the tricky bit.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

Crowe is a useful unit and can make a real difference particularly in challenges and making Puries Troops is a great help.

I don't know why you'd bring Crowe when you can just as easily get scoring purifiers via grand strategy. You just need to invest an inordinate amount of points into making him work that it's just not worth it.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I don't know why you'd bring Crowe when you can just as easily get scoring purifiers via grand strategy. You just need to invest an inordinate amount of points into making him work that it's just not worth it.
The number of troops in your army is too important to leave to the vagaries of a D3 roll.

You can't take 6 squads of puries and hope to get troops with GS. Of course you need a GM to get GS and I often save the points and take a BC.

If you don't take Crowe you have to spend points on Termies or GKSS to fill the troop slot.

Crowe works just fine if you deploy him with just a little bit of thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my experience of Crowe, only to be able to put purifier for Troops is a good inherit. The purifier is a lot better that normal troops.

Destroy Land raider can be slow job and yes, if i fight towards Tau or Necron, I will die, but I do lists to at least have fun.

That list is fun, believe me.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm sure it's fun, I have fun with plenty of substandard lists. I'm currently working on a Vanilla SM detachment to bring with my Grey Knights for small scale local tourneys that I want to take casually, but that doesn't mean that the list is necessarily viable at a high end competitive level (although it would be viable if flyers weren't so damn busted...)

You submitted a tournament list for critique, and so I critiqued it from a competitive standpoint. You're more than welcome to accept or ignore that critique, but the fact of the matter is that your list simply will not excel in a competitive environment; several key factors within the metagame will effectively prevent you from doing well in the tournament. This list is pretty much going to kill anyone who isn't able to bring it down. The trick is that people who wouldn't be able to beat this are generally not going to be playing at the top tables, because if you can't deal with this, then you certainly can't deal with the stronger lists in the game. So effectively you'll only be able to beat down on the bottom of the field, so you're basically limiting yourself to placing somewhere in the middle.

But hey, so long as you're aware of that and that's fine with you, then more power to you, I wish you the best of luck at your event and hope you enjoy yourself.

EDIT:

The number of troops in your army is too important to leave to the vagaries of a D3 roll.

You can't take 6 squads of puries and hope to get troops with GS. Of course you need a GM to get GS and I often save the points and take a BC.

If you don't take Crowe you have to spend points on Termies or GKSS to fill the troop slot.

Crowe works just fine if you deploy him with just a little bit of thought.
You see, I see people saying this, but I don't think anyone ever actually plans on bringing 6 squads of purifiers ever, you just don't have enough points for that. I can't see a list bringing more than 3 squads of Purifiers (even that's a lot), and I'd happily bring GKSS to fill up my troop squads. They're one of the best troops in the game for a reason. What do purifiers bring over GKSS in the troop slot? Better combat prowess (in your shooting army), and more psycannons at an inflated cost? I guess Fearless is pretty good, but not enough to justify the cost.

This is assuming you value scoring Purifiers at all, which frankly I don't. They don't need to score. Yes, objectives are important missions, but that doesn't mean that every goddamn model in my army needs to be scoring in order for me to include them.

Reactions: Arlequí Bergant

·
Registered
23 Posts

My bad i didn't realise he wasn't an independant character, new GK player here :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys!

Yesterday played the list. Well, I was playing towards other GreyKinght with Crowe and Mordrak. We played mission of Greatest Cannon Never Stop (literal translation). The other man have more luck. (resist two Orbital attack 10/1 withMordrak and Ghosts with 5+....)
Important Stormraven with Librarian don't enter until 4th turn but with Summon Call in 5th turn I put Land Raider in objective and Librarian and Purifers destroy other unit in his objectives.

All game, his Mordrak fight towards TecnoMarine and my Crowe. My tecnomarine have a Stick Nemesis Protector and Mordrak can kill with 2+ invulnerable.

I won, but strange game and my enemy also played strange.

P.S: I failed all Fusion Cannons of my StormRavens and Crusader... great day with dices...

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
My bad i didn't realise he wasn't an independant character, new GK player here :)
You know what mate? I don't think there is one of us that didn't at one stage think Crowe was and IC, I know I certainly did, just seems logical that he would be !

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
This is assuming you value scoring Purifiers at all, which frankly I don't. They don't need to score. Yes, objectives are important missions, but that doesn't mean that every goddamn model in my army needs to be scoring in order for me to include them.
I wasn't really talking about the relative merits of Purifiers, rather just pointing out that :

I don't know why you'd bring Crowe when you can just as easily get scoring purifiers via grand strategy.
Isn't really the case, mainly because there is no way to make >3 purifiers troops without Crowe.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts