Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playing hundreds of games of 40k recently, im interested in trying something different. Something that bends the rules of the game.

Various new mechanics come into play. Deep strike, infiltrate, scout moves, the Daemons which defy all laws of deployment, and now outflank.
I want to create an army which uses a completely new game mechanic, a totally new look on the game.

I was considering a Skeleton theme, with something like a Vampire/Necromancer leading the army.
The big difference though, is that the Troops (and possibly Elites etc) are bought as wargear for the Vamps/Necros, and summoned.

Think similar to a Tervigon.

Lets say the Skeletons would be worth around 10 points each with their stats/abilities.
Instead of buying the model for 10 points, a Vamp/Necro can have the ability to raise from the dead say 2D6 Skeletons at the start of the movement phase with 100 points (or whatever the suitable number is) added to his cost.

They could also have the option of raising from the dead somewhere else on the table rather than in contact with the Vamp/Necro, using the deep strike rules.
They would always scatter (even on a hit, perhaps even 3D6), but if they came in contact with an enemy they count as close combat rather than misshap. They wouldnt get the bonus for charging though, perhaps the opponent would even get the bonus. Id imagine the opponent would at least get first attack on them.
Could have ghosts of some sort too, which would work against vehicles. Actually going inside the vehicle itself to attack. Perhaps S3 with 2D6 AP to represent it, or else Lance+Rending or something. Havent thought about the details yet.

Anyway, its just an idea, and something that i may consider working on.
The Vamps/Necros would obviously be quite expensive points wise, and the army would be quite weak early in the game, but could potentially build later in the game.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well theirs a thread like three down from you that has vamps and skeletons so you might want to check that out, but as far as buying units as war-gear that sounds very interesting. I do have a question, when the HQ dies wouldn't all the units go bye bye?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I can't help thinking that this would be a very VERY fragile army. It's certainly an interesting idea.

When I got bored with 40k after few weeks of constant gaming our group started to play it using the LotR initiative system and turn sequence. Turns it into a whole new gaming experience. loads of fun.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Wouldn't an army like that be hard countered by Eldar forcing PotW or Hoods or... well, artillery for that matter?

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Summoned Skeletons in b2b would form a retinue for him, which he could keep his retinue growing each turn.
Ability would have to be an ability rather than a psychic power, otherwise the army will be useless.
Artillery would be effective, but not if he summons ghosts/spirits. That would be the armies key anti-tank. Probably wouldnt have models for them either, just assume they appear, do their job, and vanish again.

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is an example.
Feel free to tear it to pieces. :)

Vampires use up 1 HQ choice, and Necromancers use up 1 HQ choice.
You may use any number of each though.
For example, you might have 3 Vampires in 1 HQ choice, and 2 Necromancers in another.

Vampire
200 points

WS 6
BS 3
S 5
T 5
W 5
I 5
A 4
Ld 10
Sv 3+ inv

Eternal Warrior
Independent Character
Power Weapon

Skeleton Trophy: 50 points
Spirit Trophy: 50 points
Bat Trophy: 20 points

Necromancer
100 points

WS 4
BS 3
S 4
T 4
W 3
I 4
A 3
Ld 10
Sv 5+ inv

Eternal Warrior
Independent Character
Power Weapon

Skeleton Trophy: 50 points
Spirit Trophy: 50 points
Bat Trophy: 20 points

A Vampire or Necromancer can take any number of trophies.
Each Skeleton Trophy in the army takes up a Troops choice.
Each Spirit Trophy in the army takes up an Elites choice.
Each Bat Trophy in the army takes up a Fast Attack choice.

Skeleton Trophy:
At the start of your turn, you may summon D6 Skeletons. These come onto the table via deep strike.
You may elect to bring them on in 1 of 2 ways.
You can bring them on in base contact with the Vampire/Necromancer. They will not scatter. These will form a retinue. If there is already a retinue, then these will add to the existing unit, and the whole retinue will count as 1 kill point still.
The other way is to have them come in from any point on the table. Roll to scatter as normal. If a hit is rolled, then roll the scatter dice again. If the unit scatters off the table or into impassible terrain then it is destroyed. If it scatters into an enemy unit, then place the models in base to base contact with the unit. The Skeletons count as having charged for that turn, however they will not gain the bonus attack for doing so.
A Skeleton has the following profile...
WS 4
BS 0
S 4
T 4
W 1
I 2
A 2
Ld 10
Sv 5+
Feel No Pain

Spirit Trophy:
During your shooting phase, you may summon D6 Spirits.
These do not have models. Simply resolve them as you would a shooting attack, however this ability does not count as shooting, does not need line of sight, and does not have a range.
Place the large blast template over a vehicle you wish to summon the Ghosts inside. Roll to scatter as normal.
If any part of the template touches the vehicle, then it will suffer 1 hit for each Spirit summoned.
Resolve the attacks at S4+2D6.

Bat Trophy:
During your shooting phase, you may summon a swarm of Bats.
Choose an enemy unit you wish to target.
All shots fired to and from the target unit count as shooting through terrain, and will grant a cover save.
In addition, the unit must make a pinning test.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like the trophy idea.
I'm the creator of the "vampire" thread mentioned by Goofy209.
We have necromancers and vampires in the thread, however when it comes to working the abilities I feel it could be vastly improved.
If you don't mind, could you help a bit? Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow so then im just gonna throw all my tanks fire power at that hq and charge with my berzerkers, and good day to you sir! I mean sure the skels come back and what not but i dont think they will stop a dreadnot. However with that said i like the vamp you got posted so far

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow so then im just gonna throw all my tanks fire power at that hq and charge with my berzerkers, and good day to you sir! I mean sure the skels come back and what not but i dont think they will stop a dreadnot. However with that said i like the vamp you got posted so far
Thats the idea of the army. Weak early in the game but builds up towards the end.
Point values are only a rough guesstimation. They can always be dropped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts