Truth be told, this isn't my idea. I saw this trick a long time ago by someone else.
While I was cleaning the flash from my next model (I'm already up to building the retinue) I noticed the shoulder pads on the first guy looked kinda plain. It's not that they lacked the correct shape or size but they were just missing something. The rivets. The plastic shoulder pads have rivets and the ones I made did not.
I remembered this technique and decided to give it a go on one of my mockups to see how it would look. I used "tacky" glue and a small nail to apply tiny drops at the corners of the shoulder pad. It takes three passes to get a rivet that stands out enough to be noticed.
This is going to add a good deal of work to the squad overall but I would be dissappointed with myself if I didn't make the extra effort. I think the results are well worth it. The "glue rivets" blend rather nicely with plastic ones on the rest of the armour.