Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been staring down the barrel of some new imperial guard for a while now... It feels it anyhow
I had a nice list worked out- tempestus scion+commissar in Valkyrie as allies... For now...
The. Two thing happened
1: I realised having scions in a Valkyrie was pointless as they can deep strike, Valkyries just limit their options and increase risk
2: 7th came out and gave me options! Damn it! I've been institutionalised by the FOC and can't get my head around anything now it's possible

So what I decided I could do if have a vulture rather than the Valkyrie and have an imaginary Valkyrie over head dropping the scions off :eek:k:

But I don't know how to arm it...
I regularly face grey knights so power armour and termie there, tau so 4+ there but didn't include that as theirs no AP difference their between 3+ and orks, so 6+ there
I was bored in a physics test so put my calculator to use with some maths!
Then checked in combat calculator and got... (This has been copy/pasted from notes so expect errors)

Vulture MathHammer

Punishers: 3+: 3.971 2+: 1.975 6+: 9.877

Missile pods: 3+: 2.667 2+: 1.333 6+: 12

Lascannon/missile pods: 3+: 1.889 2+: 1.16 6+: 4.741

I assumed the missile pods each hit 4 against termies/power and 6 against orks, (I may have forgotten to change the it's from 4 to 6 in the lascannon/missile pods for orks... So give them some leeway there, in fact looking at those numbers there I would say defiantly, when I get around to correcting it I'll update)

As you can see the numbers all tell a different story...
Punishers come up, tops on the first 3 yet missiles pull it against orks, tau I presume will be a draw

I rarely face vehicles and no flyers so the las cannon will be lost for that purpose I think

In fact now I've typed to up and Evaluated it, Punishers have it, but I'll still post this for others opinions, maybe a poll?
And are their any situations I've missed in which is should take another thing? Their May be some flying deamons pooping in so +1 for the Punishers there :)
Also Punishers look sexy... +1 condom there...
Punishers cost more... -a bunch there :/

PS= I apologise for any and all rambling... That leaves about a sentence in the middle of the thread that belongs :)
Sorry mods, I tend to get off topic every time I have someone to discuss things with :cray:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
A couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Punishers are probably a good option, if your group allows Forge World Models. And if you're not looking to kill Land Raiders.

Why are you using Aircraft to do a job a Leman Russ does better? I'd kit out your aircraft as dedicated anti tank, myself.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Punisher is best with either the Twin-Linked Punisher Cannon or four Multiple Rocket Pods, depending on whether you face blobs of infantry or more elite groups. Given you face GK and Tau, that says Punisher Cannon - the MRPs will be better Ork-killers, but if you can only have one loadout then it's probably overkill if you hit against GK/Tau and less reliable due to scatter.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rule of cool mainly...
I could take a Russ, but a vendetta is awesome....
Also fluff, they'll be elysians so no tanks, they'll be allied to my blood angels so speed fits

This army evolved from a pipe dream late 6th, from a vet squad all plasma'ed up in a Valkyrie, it was pointed the tempestus do it better, and the supplement gave them troops, it was tempestus riding in a Valkyrie. Then I found out scions have deep strike and unbound is a pick and mix, not like pick and mix from one army + allies

Basically they'll tempestus models with the elysian heads FW does I've decided eventually :)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I use vulture witb punishers and am getting a second one. they are f'ing awesome and will usually kill whatever infantry or rear armour you can point it at - total A10 style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts