Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm not the best painter in the world but I say was at a good enough standard. I've had 2 armies, one space marine and one eldar and I've gotten better at painting with time.

I got into 40k for the painting and now I feel I'm at a good level I thought I try a new project. Ive always wanted a draigo grey knights list and I finally got around to buying a box of paladins... But no matter what I do I'm not happy with how they look. It's driving me mad, I've gone on you tube, looked a painting guides, I've even gone back to basics. But no matter what I do I'm not happy with the end result...

I'm at the point where I think grey knight aren't for me. Please inspire me internet :(

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a draigo grey knights list but I hate the silver paint scheme so I painted them up in a bone colour, it was very striking and received a lot of praise from other gamers, I'm afraid I no longer have any pics but this is how I painted them if your interested? for the armour i used dheneb stone foundation, followed by a wash of devlan mud, highlight with commando khaki, then a hbighlight of 3 parts commando kahki to one parrt bleached bone, then for the next highlight add a little more bleached bone then add a little more for the next highlight eventually finishing with an extreme highlight of pure bleached bone on the edges of the armour. Unfortunately gw changed the names of their paints but with a bit of detective work you can get the equivalents

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
maybe just an idea of what your not happy about or what you feel your getting wrong??

Ive seen many gk armys painted from a basic colour scheme( mithril silver, blue wash them hightlighted silver again , t more complex layering involving mixing silvers and blues.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Looks like you may be able to modify a Space Wolf style colour scheme to get a GK-like effect.

Either that or go white. I have no idea how I'm going to paint the terminator squad I just got either...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the feedback, I like the idea of not using silvers, i think that is the reason I don't like the scheme as gold and silver is very bland. A grey is a colour easier to blend.

Shame you don't have the pics of the bone coloured GK, that would be cool to see

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do like the bone colour and it's an easy colour to work with. The question is are they still called grey knights... Or do I now call them boner knights?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think some Rainbow Knights would be cool...
Now your just being silly haha

But i'd love to see someone have a go at it, there's a challenge for next months painting competition right there :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think non metallic grey is the way forward, I'm not sure what shade of grey that is though, look very clean

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
@Varakir, what colours do you think that armour is? Very sharp.
I assume it's just black and grey done very precisely with an airbrush. I think the guys name is Davepaints on facebook, he might have some more info on his feed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts