Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live in the Chicago land area, however, our HQ has vanished and gone somewhere else to become smaller. Every games workshop store that used to be in a mall is also gone. It was really weird, because a couple months ago I wanted to make a new army of stuff from our original HQ called "The Bunker." Not only was half the store completely not in use and perhaps renovated, but the customer service was absolutely horrible. It was like they didn't give a shit if I bought something. They had two sales associates there and were almost antisocial. I thought this was very weird considering the customer service I used to get. They always try to sell you the new stuff you know? Contacted the 1-800 number... and they were like... we are soooooo so sorry. LOL

Today I randomly found this. Granted this was a few months ago. I was just wondering how the GW community has been doing generally.

Article Link

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
GW closed its mall locations due to the expensive mall rents. There's literally 5 LGS's near me in western mass, all with healthy 40k presences.

The topics in those articles you posted have been discussed, and it really is just typical internet doom and gloom, overanalyzed by individuals with too much time and not enough business knowledge to really understand what they're talking about.

Infact most if what the moron in that first article is babbling out is false, and backed up with zero facts, only sensationalism and what sounds like emotionally driven prattling. He didn't even spell Malifaux correctly. Everyones stock and earnings ebbs and flows, especially in a wounded economy like we have had in the US since 2008.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Our New England community is HUGE. Weve got tourneys and friendly home games all the time.

Do what I did: Start yourself a Facebook group for local players. Give it a catchy name. Mine is "The Astronomicon - The NH/MA Wargaming Resource". Then invite your local players to it, and encourage them to invite their friends, so on so forth. Then start advertising in the "local gaming" threads on here, Dakka, B&C, etc. Its not going to blow up overnight but as work gets out you will see the community grow. Hit up local gaming stores, get them to join and advertise tourneys and sales.

For the first couple months I had maybe 15 people on the site. I started it last year. Now I have well over 100 members, 5 different stores advertising tourneys, daily traffic of model showcases and other such banter, tactics discussion, news and rumors, and everybody gets together for game. Just three days ago I posted "Who wants to have a team Beerhammer at my place"? I filled it within the hour.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Woah! Small world!
I just saw your western MA post. Look us up and join! Weve got peeps out your way; maybe you know Damien he drove up to my place once and I think hes a couple hours out.

See guys? This is how you network.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I just saw your western MA post. Look us up and join! Weve got peeps out your way; maybe you know Damien he drove up to my place once and I think hes a couple hours out.

See guys? This is how you network.
Will do! I'm still fairly new to the hobby, but I visit Off The Wall over in Hadley on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
There's literally 5 LGS's near me in western mass,
I just noticed both your posts Einherjar667, and d3m01iti0n. I use to be in Derry, NH but now I'm in Boston, MA. Where are you guys located??

On that same note the New England community is strong for 40k players. I feel this is in part due to the 2 massive Conventions we have every year, the 'Eavy Boyz Tourney at Harvard University and Pax East held in Boston, MA. Warmachine and Hordes is slowly creeping into the area but I think 40k will remain strong until all the Sci-Fi Nerds move on or grow to old to compete.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm right south of Springfield, and about 15 minutes north of Hartford along I-91.

There's a strong Fantasy and Dystopian Wars scene out here too, on top of 40k and Warmahordes. There are ALWAYS people playing at Off The Wall and The Battle Standard when I visit (multiple times a week).

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just noticed both your posts Einherjar667, and d3m01iti0n. I use to be in Derry, NH but now I'm in Boston, MA. Where are you guys located??

On that same note the New England community is strong for 40k players. I feel this is in part due to the 2 massive Conventions we have every year, the 'Eavy Boyz Tourney at Harvard University and Pax East held in Boston, MA. Warmachine and Hordes is slowly creeping into the area but I think 40k will remain strong until all the Sci-Fi Nerds move on or grow to old to compete.
I lived in Derry almost ten years ago. Im now up in Weare and work in Manchester. I think you and I chatted a while back.

I say the more the merrier on my site. Weve got a few Mainers and Vermonsters; I want to encompass all of New England. I strongly suggest you guys join up and bring your friends. We all take trips so we will all game eventually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts