Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , Im 17 and work full time , Just starting college :)
Ive just started painting my first model and reading a few books.
Im craming as much fluff into my head as I can.
GW just opened up near me and its a 2 min walk
so il be gaming alot.

Anyway my question is :

Are Blood Angels & Grey Knights Competitive ?
There my 2 favourite chapters and I really want to play them.
But I also want to win , alot.
Im very competitive and hate losing.
so I just want to know how good they are :)

Thanks alot guys :)

Ross x

·
Registered
246 Posts
BA are a newly released codex so have a very good capability of being built to a highly competitive list, GK on the other hand have more trouble as they are an older codex, but the models are just beautiful especially the terms. that being said i beleive the Daemonhunters codex is due to be updated in the near future or at least the models so maybe go blood angels now and gk later.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Blood Angels are fairly good.... Gray Knights are a wee bit outdated but with a new dex coming out that will change. It really depends on you and your list tbh.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the game isnt just about models ,

you actually have to be good to play competitively ? :)

I heard alot of rumours about new Grey Knights.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
you actually have to be good to play competitively ? :)

I hope that is sarcasm but if it isn't........ yeah, you have to be good. There are some idiot proof lists though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope that is sarcasm but if it isn't........ yeah, you have to be good. There are some idiot proof lists though.
No sorry Im new to the game..........

I mean to seperate the best from the best.

2 Identical lists , Better player wins ?

a bad list (good player) vS a good list (bad player) , who wins ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
A part of learning something new is sucking at it for a while. In 40k especially, it will take more than a couple games to learn things like good target priority, the various ways to counter threats, and the quirks of your army.
Even if you find some amazing BA list online, you will be losing sometimes, so brace yourself and make sure every time is a learning experience.

That caveat aside, yeah I think Blood Angels are pretty solid.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A part of learning something new is sucking at it for a while. In 40k especially, it will take more than a couple games to learn things like good target priority, the various ways to counter threats, and the quirks of your army.
Even if you find some amazing BA list online, you will be losing sometimes, so brace yourself and make sure every time is a learning experience.

That caveat aside, yeah I think Blood Angels are pretty solid.
Yeah I understand that il suck at the start , but I just wanted to know that if I put my time into learing I could be very good.

Are there many 40k Tourneys with prizes ?
also like national championships and stuff ?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
BA is competitive, and probably a top tier list.
GK currently is not, and is at or near the bottom of the pile...I'm guessing you mean pure GK otherwise you would have wrote DH.

With an upcoming Codex GK should be compeitive again...well they damn well better be.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
No sorry Im new to the game..........

I mean to seperate the best from the best.

2 Identical lists , Better player wins ?

a bad list (good player) vS a good list (bad player) , who wins ?
Yeah, the better player wins. Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel bad or anything. :eek:k:

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Yeah I understand that il suck at the start , but I just wanted to know that if I put my time into learing I could be very good.

Are there many 40k Tourneys with prizes ?
also like national championships and stuff ?
If you study some basic tactics than you will have a leg up on other beginners, that is for damn sure. However, nothing teaches quite like real life.

Yeah there are a shit load of them. lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
i've honestly not seen or played a BA list that i've been scared of yet, but then i do run a chaos lash list so not much scares me. Infact every BA army i've faced and my friends have faced has been utterly destroyed (we always run competitive lists, except when i play players that run balanced/friendly lists i will tone down my armies so we both have fun).

If anyone has seen a scary BA list please do inform me, as me and my friends have yet to see one that we would take to a tournament.

Grey Knights indeed suffer badly from thier outdated codex, they are immensly cool models but being metal again suffer due to limited poses and conversion options.

Hopefully the codex is soon to be released along with some new plastics, which will almost certainly convice me to pick them up as a new army.

Also a note about wanting to win, never take that too far. If you run lists designed to win every game such as lash lists you'll have trouble finding people to play unless you happen to come across players like yourself. As i've already said i'll tone my army down so a friendly player can have fun with me and if i lose oh well we got to beat the crap out of eachother and thats always fun. IMO the best games are always the closest ones when a wrong decision or the dice gods favour can turn the tide, in my local GW on vets night there's always laugher and cheering and ultimately it doesn't matter who won and who lost because everyone enjoys themselves.

I think thats the most important lesson anyone can learn in this hobby.

That said when in a tournament, it's win mode and i while i'll be friendly and jokey with my opponent i'll be aiming to win by the largest margin possible.

wow thats alot of waffle but this is what i tell everyone new to the hobby :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the better player wins. Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel bad or anything. :eek:k:
Lol nah im fine :p
Just trying to get a grip with the hobby.

If you study some basic tactics than you will have a leg up on other beginners, that is for damn sure. However, nothing teaches quite like real life.

Yeah there are a shit load of them. lol
I want to be able to go to tournements and win :)
so im gonig to paint hard study hard and GAME HARD :)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Lol nah im fine :p
Just trying to get a grip with the hobby.
Good. lol

I want to be able to go to tournements and win :)
so im gonig to paint hard study hard and GAME HARD :)
Ok but don't be surprised if you get beaten your first few games. Oh and like OpTi said, don't go overboard. No one likes an ubber competitive prick. Just don't turn into one of them and you should be golden.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i've honestly not seen or played a BA list that i've been scared of yet, but then i do run a chaos lash list so not much scares me. Infact every BA army i've faced and my friends have faced has been utterly destroyed (we always run competitive lists, except when i play players that run balanced/friendly lists i will tone down my armies so we both have fun).

If anyone has seen a scary BA list please do inform me, as me and my friends have yet to see one that we would take to a tournament.

Grey Knights indeed suffer badly from thier outdated codex, they are immensly cool models but being metal again suffer due to limited poses and conversion options.

Hopefully the codex is soon to be released along with some new plastics, which will almost certainly convice me to pick them up as a new army.

Also a note about wanting to win, never take that too far. If you run lists designed to win every game such as lash lists you'll have trouble finding people to play unless you happen to come across players like yourself. As i've already said i'll tone my army down so a friendly player can have fun with me and if i lose oh well we got to beat the crap out of eachother and thats always fun. IMO the best games are always the closest ones when a wrong decision or the dice gods favour can turn the tide, in my local GW on vets night there's always laugher and cheering and ultimately it doesn't matter who won and who lost because everyone enjoys themselves.

I think thats the most important lesson anyone can learn in this hobby.

That said when in a tournament, it's win mode and i while i'll be friendly and jokey with my opponent i'll be aiming to win by the largest margin possible.

wow thats alot of waffle but this is what i tell everyone new to the hobby :)
Yeah :)
When im not in tournement play il be nice to everyone and have a laugh :)
but in tournement play I want to win no matter what.

Sorry if I seem to competive , I was a very highly Rated Halo 3 player so Im used to being good.

I know im going to suck alot at this game for a while though :p

Good. lol

Ok but don't be surprised if you get beaten your first few games. Oh and like OpTi said, don't go overboard. No one likes an ubber competitive prick. Just don't turn into one of them and you should be golden.
I expect to lose at the start , ALOT :p.

and I wont be very competitive until tournements :)

Thanks Guys x

·
Registered
648 Posts
Blood Angels are definitely competitive. They've got lots of options so you can put together all sorts of viable builds.

I'd recommend a few practice games to get a feel for the rules, then try out a couple lists and see which fits your style of play. Netlists are great for creating a framework you can build your experience off of, but as you go you'll probably end up adapting it to fit your preferences.

Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blood Angels are definitely competitive. They've got lots of options so you can put together all sorts of viable builds.

I'd recommend a few practice games to get a feel for the rules, then try out a couple lists and see which fits your style of play. Netlists are great for creating a framework you can build your experience off of, but as you go you'll probably end up adapting it to fit your preferences.

Good luck
Thanks for the advice mate :)
Il take my time learning the rules so I dont miss anything.
going to buy that £60 book from GW too :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, BA are extremely good in the right hands, but crap in others. I know many people who play BA who I can quite easily beat with both arms tied behind my back. But if they are a seasoned veteran, then it might just be a bit harder......

·
Registered
120 Posts
there is a major difference between halo3 and 40k. halo3 is both perfectly balanced and skill based with no luck.

40k is not perfectly balanced, and luck can greatly influence the outcome of the game. ba are a very good army. many people feel that the imperial guard is the best army right now, and that pure grey knights and necrons are the current worst. every other army can be good or bad depending on the list, player, mission, and opponent.
imperial guard will probably move more to the middle in time.

skill of the player is probably the most important part of any game. i would like to think that most skilled players wouldn't be fielding a terrible list, but sometimes there are very different opinions on whether to make units able to do any job versus able to do one job very well.

list building is an important skill, as is strategy to try to win the mission, as is tactics that can make a huge difference.
if you want to play this as a game that you only want to win, then it may not be the best game for you. a few bad dice rolls and you might lose a game that you did everything perfectly in. also other players won't want to play someone focused on winning every game, that isn't having fun when they are losing.

this game needs a lot of energy spent on modeling, painting, and knowing and understanding the fictional universe to be best enjoyed.

hopefully this game is enjoyable to you. and if you love gk and ba, then ba are great right now. and gk may be coming out very soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts