Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this doesn't seem like a selfish request but I live in a country lacking any GW Shops / English book shops and so I get all my books either online or I buy them when I'm in England. The problem being that I sometimes miss major BL releases and discover them only years later (I finished Dan Abnett - Salvations Reach yesterday but am actually a huge Gaunt's Ghosts fan... I just missed the book completely :()

So here's my book collection, are some your guys must reads / favorite books missing here? My preferences are Imperial Guard and Inquisitor stories but I basically read any good books. Just trying to get some new books since I don't have anything to read currently.

Thanks for the help :)

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I don't see any of Chris Wraight's SW novels in there. Battle for the Fang is one of the few good SM Battles novels, and Blood of Asaheim and Stormcaller, while containing a few blatant fluff fuck ups, are very good.

I also didn't notice John French's two Ahriman novels. Great books.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Talon of Horus!

If you liked Priests of Mars you should continue with Lords of Mars and Gods of Mars. I have not read the last book myself yet (waiting for the paperback), but I think people really liked it.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I can only comment on books concerning Chaos, But I agree with @Khorne's Fist that the Ahriman books are really good. Highly recommended.

Beyond that I would look into the Wordbearers Trilogy which I didn't spot. They are excellent books as well.

And lastly, while I'm still reading it currently myself, @Sev is right about Talon of Horus. It's SERIOUSLY good so far :)

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Missing the Talon of Horus?? I would say it is a must read for any BL fan now.

The rest of the Gaunts Ghosts novels, you seem to be missing The Saint omnibus, which is odd, as you have The Lost. Have you lost it, or at least read the four novels contained with The Saint arc? Otherwise that would be very confusing. Also Salvations Reach, which comes after Blood Pact.

I quite liked the Sundering triology from the Time Of Legends series. Malekith, Shadow King and Caledor.

Battle of the Fang has been mentioned, as has Ahriman.

Titanicus, is also quite a good read, you seem to like Abnett, so would enjoy it no doubt.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I dont see the recent dark eldar trillogy. Its really one of the top warhammer 40k reads, bringing the druchii to cruel and macable life.

Path of the Renegade, Incubus and Archon.

Edit: Its out in an omnibus with related shorts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the many replies guys! I'll definitely be checking out these books :)

Missing the Talon of Horus?? I would say it is a must read for any BL fan now.

The rest of the Gaunts Ghosts novels, you seem to be missing The Saint omnibus, which is odd, as you have The Lost. Have you lost it, or at least read the four novels contained with The Saint arc? Otherwise that would be very confusing. Also Salvations Reach, which comes after Blood Pact.

I quite liked the Sundering triology from the Time Of Legends series. Malekith, Shadow King and Caledor.

Battle of the Fang has been mentioned, as has Ahriman.

Titanicus, is also quite a good read, you seem to like Abnett, so would enjoy it no doubt.
I was reading Salvations Reach at the time of the pic and the Saint omnibus is lying around somewhere in my house :p

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I would definitely recommend Battle of the Fang aswell. Also Emporers Gift and the Night Lords Trilogy by ADB are awesome books!
All but Battle of the Fang are up there on the bookshelf.

Is that all the Ciaphas Cain novels as well? Hard to pin them all down with the variou omnibuses.

·
Registered
332 Posts
All but Battle of the Fang are up there on the bookshelf.

Is that all the Ciaphas Cain novels as well? Hard to pin them all down with the variou omnibuses.
Ooops didn't see the bottom shelf!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Betrayer is on the bottom shelf. I think he might be missing Scars? The complete randomness of the Heresy books is driving me crazy, it makes me want to break into his house and put them in order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:laugh:

Yeah sorry about that book order it's just by colour because I don't have all of the HH books so I just did it like that. It's true I don't have scars because I'm not really a fan of the chapter. There are actually a ton of HH books I don't have I think... there are just too many :shok:

And yes those are all of the Ciaphas Cain novels, they're great because one usually never sees a such humorous side to 40k novels.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Scars, Ahriman novels, Battle of the Fang, Fire Cast, Death Watch, Talon of Horus definitely should be there.

I don't think these others are "extremely good" but they are still pretty good and enjoyable in my opinion:

Enforcer Omnibus (Matt Farrer), Lords of Mars and Gods of Mars, The Gothic War, Valdeor, The Path of the Eldar Omnibus, Baneblade, Yarrick: Imperial Creed, Death of Integrity, The Tallarn Novellas (Heresy)

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
:laugh:

Yeah sorry about that book order it's just by colour because I don't have all of the HH books so I just did it like that. It's true I don't have scars because I'm not really a fan of the chapter. There are actually a ton of HH books I don't have I think... there are just too many :shok:

And yes those are all of the Ciaphas Cain novels, they're great because one usually never sees a such humorous side to 40k novels.
Like a lot of the Heresy series, I would say that Scars, shows a very different depiction of the White Scars, and gives them a lot better flavour and personality, much like Prospero Burns or Know No Fear, did for the Space Wolves and Ultramarines respectively.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I already ordered some of the must-reads that were recommended and will check out the rest the next time I'm in a GW store.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts