·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any cool 40k with necrons in them apart from hellforged

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
None that I know of where they feature as prodominantly as in Hellforged (though I'm far from the authority on Necron fluff). Otherwise, Necrons feature in the first Ultramarines novel Nightbringer and in DOW:Ascension and some Necron ships make a very minor appearance in DOW:Tempest.

Edit: Just remembered Caves of Ice (a Ciaphas Cain novel) and also Dark Apostle (again only a minor appearance).

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
They arn't the most exciting topic to write about. I think they appear in one of the word bearers books, but other than that I don't know.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id like necrons to be the main enemy cause I don't really know a way to have them as the main characters for 2 reasons
1.gw would never do it
2.they don't think

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
It would be similar to a vamp counts situation or tomb kings. You would probably have two main characters and the rest would be your average mindless manican of death.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm not aware of any beyond those already mentioned, but if BL wanted to do something with necrons as the primary antagonist they would really need to blow open the stuff touched on in xenology (i.e. necrons imitating human form and infiltrating the Imperium). Maybe too much like Battlestar Gallactica?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what happens in nightbringer not realy any spoilers basic run down

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
id like necrons to be the main enemy cause I don't really know a way to have them as the main characters for 2 reasons
1.gw would never do it
2.they don't think
1: That`s why we write fanfics. :biggrin:

2: Yes they do. They are the most logical race in the galaxy, and each is capable of independent action should the lord be disabled. Granted much of this is preprogrammed logic drives, but not exclusively.

what happens in nightbringer not realy any spoilers basic run down
Some internal political strife on some backwater planet, Ultramarines go to investigate, find some beaurecrat in league with dark eldar looking for secret weapons built by ancient civilisation. End up finding a star god. Necrons are only a minor plot device that appears near the end of the book, the rest is a few skirmishes with DE and a whole lot of political bullshit.

Worth the read if you`ve got the patience... :)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
An awakened Necron empire would be the biggest threat to the galaxy. There should be some novels about that, but it will probably have to be after the next codex so that there are no spoilers of how GW are going to ret-con the current history.

Only Tyranids and Necrons have the drive/motivation, coherency and numbers to pose such a threat to the Galaxy. Only these two. The problem seems to be that there is not enough imagination among the GW stock authors to give these factions enough 'character' to make a full novel about them. The Tyranids of the second Ultramarine novel features Tyranids as an abstract terror that must be resisted and tests the 'metal' of the humans and Space Marines, individual creatures play only an illusory role to reference codices and their units. Likewise, the Necrons found in the first book of the series.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Darklove is right. I for one would love to see the 'nemesis' factor crop up a bit more often. Granted, they are for the most part a singular force, but it is still fun to see a villain or antihero distinguish itself from the crowd now and then.

Hell, even the zerg from starcraft had a few heroes. And there`s Grid from AvP. Why not so with nids or necs?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
If it's right, rep+ it :eek:k:

Only joking; I'm not into fishing for rep, and if I ever did it seriously, rather than ironically as in this case, please feel free to negrep to the max.

So, on with the show. GW generally have a policy of 'the good guys always win', doctrine if you will. This seems simple.

It is.

It has resulted in some of the biggest plot holes I have ever encountered in any novel. I could not finish reading the Vampire Wars Trilogy, for example, because this doctrine was implemented so harshly that the whole focus of the novels changed in only a few pages. A twist in the plot is one thing, but to do it to such an extent as was presented in these books; I could not suppress my incredulity, suspend my disbelief, to such an extent that I would be prepared to continue reading. I left a few hundred pages unread.

On the other hand, some novels have been published that feature renegade Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines as the heroes of the piece. Certainly they do not represent the 'good' of the 40k galaxy.

Why not have a series of novels about the exploits of the Deceiver for the last 1,000 years? Current canon has it that the Deceiver was the first of the C'tan to emerge from stasis, and has been abroad for thousands of year, and has worshippers/followers in the galaxy. That sounds like a really interesting basis for some novels, right?

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I would read that book.

I also think GW should follow Dark Angel`s lead and publish a series based on the necrontyr`s discovery of the c`tan.

Or the War in Heaven. That`d be a good series. Really fucking long, but good.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
So, on with the show. GW generally have a policy of 'the good guys always win', doctrine if you will.
What good guys?
It's more like the money makers always win.
Also gives the hardcore space marine fanboys a reason to get up in the morning.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I would recommend "Caves of Ice", as apart from being a good book, it really showcases how a necron tomb wakes up after a few (?) millenia of sleep... Buy it, it is a good one...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
basic run down of cave of ice necrons main villians? which posterboy is main character?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
are there any with the c'tan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts