Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the middle of play testing an marine army currently and I have a squad of sniper scouts. To be honest I have been less than impressed with their performance in the games I have played. Im thinking of dropping them and swapping around a few points to take a squad of sterngaurd. Are a squad of these worth the points? I dont think I have ever seen them fielded before. I want them to be a close fire support style squad so may arm them with some combi melta's and combi flamers.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
:shok: Oh your serious.

Ofcourse Sterngaurd are awsume. The basic jist is that they have a total of 4 types of bullets (Normal one that ignore cover, Always wound't on 2+ but otherwise normal, 30" range and lower AP(Ap4) and a Ap3 but have gets hot)
apart from the last type of round, every single one is worth it's weight in gold. Also they have a +1Ld and +1A making them even mroe awsume. A normal marine costs 16pts, Sternguard cost 25pts for all that and cheap Combi-weapons. They are so worth it and possibly the msot unsed Elites in my opion with Assault temrintors coming a very close second.

As for the Sniper Scouts i have to question how you use them. The wya you use ANY Sniper makes a diffrence on how effective they are. Some use them as objective compers often gettign them to go to ground for the 2+ cover save(with camo cloaks) and at 75pts they are cheap(for Marines) and fill in the required troops choices. Normally the larger the game the less useful they are and they should shot at Monsters and the eilite stuff and NEVER the hordes

·
Registered
460 Posts
I haven't personally seen Sternguard in action, but my friends Scouts sat on the edge of the table and pinned my guard over and over again while taking only 1-3 casualties. So Jaws, when all it takes is one round of shooting to keep a unit comprising a lot of models pinned, they can take on horde armies. All it takes is a failed leadership check.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that scouts can be effective, but in the scheme of my army I dont think they are. I did initially want to use them as objective sitters but they are easily out manouvered and lack sufficient firepower to defend themselves if required.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sternguard are a great unit but can be hard to fit into an army. Any mech list with them (i.e. Rhinos or RBacks) has a huge "SHOOT ME" target painted on them as they are so much better than Tacticals in terms of damage potential. If they weren't 25 pts this wouldn't be too bad. Generally this means Sternguard are best used via pod with 2-3 squads maxing out combi-weapons for a huge bang on the drop but Drop Pods armies have their own inherent weaknesses and then you lose up to 3 Dreads.

They are a great unit on paper but hard to fit seemlessly into lists.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am giving them a try tonight on my army list so i can let you know how they performed.
i agree they can be hard to fit to a list as most people would go for terminies instead, it was the Vengence Round on rapid fire which wone me over for tonight though.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I also think that sternguard are definitely worth it, especially if their unit includes a heavy flamer and combi-weapons, but I've also seen them used poorly. They really need a transport of some sort, to help them get within effective range. A rhino, razerback, or drop pod will work nicely.

What doesn't work, is sitting them without a transport in your own deployment zone. It'll be a long time before the enemy gets within range, and even then, they might not come close to earning back their points.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that elite choices should do more than wait for the enemey (dependant on the mission), but getting points back is not always what is required. I can see that giving the squad combi weapons is pumping up the price and I think I will see how they go with just plain bolters with special ammo (I will be mounting them in a razorback for mobility).

·
4,491 Posts
They are definitely effective in what they do... they just aren't effective for their points.

They are great at taking out a MC, vehicle, or similar via a Drop Pod.... but they are worth more than what their target is worth, which for a suicide squad is epic fail.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Im just finishing off my imperial fists army and ive got a unit of 7 sternguard with 2 combi meltas in a drop pod with lysander and im hoping to see big things from them, they need transport to get the most out of them, and lysander needs to get into the action a.s.a.p so ive given them a drop pod. they can deal with tanks with their melta guns and troops with their reroll to hit and 2+ to wound hell fire rounds etc. so in most game they will have a use.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The main problem with sternguard is that they are just as durable as normal marines, whereas things like term/hamm/inators are alot more durable. Because they are good they tend to attract alot of anti marine fire or engaged in CC where their ammo is useless.

They can be good but they need realy good placement or they end up dying rather fast before they really do anything

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sternguard are rather popular at my FLGS - mostly in combination with Pedro Kantor (which makes them capturing units). Their effectiveness I can't really comment about as I've only played two games against such lists (1 loss mostly due to tactical blundering on my part, 1 draw).

The painful part about it is that neither of those players actually have a Crimson Fists army, but have their own custom chapters, so Pedro seems a bit out of place to my fluff-sensitive self (then again, I use Eldrad - albeit a heavily converted female version - in a Biel-Tan army so who am I to complain)

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did think that adding Pedro would be an idea but the point cost would be unwarranted as I would only be taking a single squad of Sterngaurd.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Killer combo: Pedro Kantor + Stenguard + Drop pod = Dead tangos... I love them, cause they kick ass if used to get onto your foes ass, especially if hes sitting duck...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Killer combo: Pedro Kantor + Stenguard + Drop pod = Dead tangos... I love them, cause they kick ass if used to get onto your foes ass, especially if hes sitting duck...
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

MUST AGREE!!!!

I love my Sternguard.......I have a custom chapter whose Chapter Master is a counts as version of Kantor.....a little modification and bam: Chapter Master Hasor Nassim is born. Due to this choice, I field 2 5 man Sternguard and 1 full Sternguard squad, all mounted in Razorback/Rhino's respectively. That generally only happens in 2k or more games, but I have been known to take my Chapter Master, 3 5 man Sternguard w/ Razorbacks and 2 10 man Tact squads backed with some Preds....very fun.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I haven't personally seen Sternguard in action, but my friends Scouts sat on the edge of the table and pinned my guard over and over again while taking only 1-3 casualties. So Jaws, when all it takes is one round of shooting to keep a unit comprising a lot of models pinned, they can take on horde armies. All it takes is a failed leadership check.
I might not have extra codex but don't most horde amys have fearless in some hay for form. Nid are fearless as long as they are in synapse range, I belive orks are or don't need to test if in large enought numbers and Foot Guard must have something like a Commasiar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sterngaurd are like cheaper terminators without the armor/invulnerable save, they also get the cool bolters that shoot the crazy rounds (godamn ap3 bolts, funny how they blow up alot tho) AND a group of 5 sterns can take two heavy weapons, while marines need a full 10 to do that. (5 x 25 + 2heavy weapons, or 10 x 16 + 2 heavy weapons) the math works

sadly they are elites and can't hold objectives like scouts or combat tactic 10 man squads (unless you bring pedro, who allows sterns to be taken as troops, and makes all marines stubborn to boot)

It all depends on how your using them, sterns make great plasmacannon whores that don't compete with devastators or other heavies for slots. with the higher LD and attacks they can fend for their own alot better if they happen to get assaulted. also packing very versitile bolters that can penetrate cover-huggers or MEQ armies easily (if your lucky that is) These guys are definately worth their points, but they are still marines. and they still die like marines.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
In my opinion yes. But no how GW sell them, with Heavy Flamers and assault weapons in my opinion, much more worth the points. Don't go with combi weapons (wish I hadn't...). Flamers in my opinion, Sternguard without a drop pod is silly.

I personally always think of them as more close shooty type squads, I personally think, forget the ammo loadouts, think more about what you want them to do. And for me its a high impact squad...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a sternguard squad about half the time that I play SM, and have had moderate to good results with them. As has been said, they are excellent at killing high toughness and monstrous creatures. Hellfire rounds are, imho, the best shots they have access to. Vengeance rounds are a close second, assuming you can catch your MEQ enemy out of cover.

ALWAYS give them a transport of some type. You don't want them to deploy, kill one thing, and then spend the rest of the game running after targets they'll never catch and getting shot up.
I do not think that sternguard are usually worth the points if you field them unsupported. Any competent foe will realize that he needs to get a dedicated cc unit into combat with them asap to minimize their shooting, and while they are decent in cc they can be bogged down if you don't put a lot of weapon upgrades in the squad. I don't like to do that because the points add up too quickly. Instead, I prefer to place a special character of some type. This obviously increases the unit cost, but it can also mean that when they get assaulted the character can help them break out of combat sooner, allowing the squad to go wreak more havoc.

One build I have been testing out lately is putting them in a drop pod with a librarian. My librarian takes Gate of Infinity, so even after getting out of the pod (or being stuck in cc) they can simply teleport away. With a bit of scatter dice luck you can then rapid fire another target in that same turn.

Last night this squad shot to death a Bloodthirster on the first turn before it could assault. It then got charged by an upgraded Khorne daemon prince and did 3 wounds to it before disengaging. The librarian really pulled his weight and I was very pleased.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts