Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, just a question from me today:

I've collected Marine armies for years but I've never had Scout Snipers (or Scouts alone for that matter), I was just wondering how you guys rate them?
At present I've a 6K army of Blood Angels and play predominately tournament and Apocalypse matches with an allied force of Necrons, but they're a hugely mobile force that I send straight into the enemy forces, which to me doesn't warrant leaving units back to hold the line.
However, as I'll be throwing my Imperial Guard into the mix with my Blood Angels soon, I was planning on using groups of Scout Snipers to cover long-range artillery units. For general engagements though, do you find they work at taking out small units, HQs, MCs, etc?

A Blood Angel Scout unit is relatively cheap for a unit of five and they get sniper rifles for free, you can throw in an extra five Scouts for less then the cost of the first five, add to this missile launcher of heavy bolter for a meager amount of points and this unit isn't an expensive one at all.
Adding camo cloaks adds a further few points, or swap it out for a locator beacon to drop in my Terminators/Drop Pods, etc.

So yeah, how do you guys rate Marine Snipers? To add to that, any Eldar/Imperial Guard/Etc players who use their own snipers who rate them? My Necron Deathmarks are excellent but they're just MC hunters for me, nothing to compare to these Scout Snipers for ranged fire it seems.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Snipers tend to be the preferred weapons choice for Marine scouts. They're good, but keep in mind that there's ALOT of firepower that says 'cover? Ha!' (I'm looking at you, Heldrake).

Please remove the exact cost models and upgrades. GW doesn't like that.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Snipers are a good way or providing cover fire for advancing units. I run rangers in my eldar army to provide support for my assault troops as they advance, pinning is a wonderful ability that is often overlooked. Also, in the marvelous new world of Monstrous Creatures 4+ wounding weapons are always useful.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I almost always run exactly one unit of scouts (eldar. but i would for marines too). They sit behind the defense line and simultaneously claim my home objective, man the quad gun, and provide some long range sniper shots (all with a 3+ cover save). Marine sniper scouts i'd always give them a ML because snipers (and the quad gun) tend to aim for bigger targets (seriously, a sniper rifle to kill a gaunt is stupid), so the missile launcher compliments the scouts well.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Marine Scouts are kind of tricky because of lower BS. They aren't awful but can be pretty mediocre. If you already have Deathmarks, I'd stick with them. They are honestly the best Snipers in the game. If you want Scouts to hold rearguard Objectives, consider Shotguns or close combat Scouts. They'll be better suited to that task.

·
Registered
115 Posts
recently tried sitting ratlings (ig) behind a defence line, payed their points back by turn two after gutting a keeper of secrets.... but I view snipers as situational.. sometimes good sometimes bad

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
They're great if you're strapped for points, but never go 5-man because they're too easy to kill (even with stealth the best you're ever getting is 3+). They are, however, a static unit and don't sound like they fit with your army well. Unless you wanted to man a quad gun with something, I'd leave them behind in favour of more Assault Marines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts