Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the advent of Dataslates, Datasheets, and Datashits, models are becoming less and less exclusive to any given army. You can bring just about any combination of models you like nowadays (Tyranid players, my heart goes out to you). So it begs the question; would you cope with Desperate Ally status for a Dataslate or Datasheet? Obviously not for Cypher or Be'lakor, but for a Stormwing Formation? A Firebase Cadre? Any fairly independant option I can see being quite popular, despite Desperate Allies status.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I guess it depends on the combination, I mean for instance a Firebase Cadre in a predominantly assault army (Orks spring to mind but I can't remember their alliance status) then its would be easy to keep both sections apart as the orks would be advancing while the Tau stay back and shoot so it would be rare that a 'one eye open' roll would be triggered let alone actually failed.

I personally wouldn't as I can't see an army that can't get something similar elsewhere and if you are limited on points a formation may not be a wise use.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it depends on the combination, I mean for instance a Firebase Cadre in a predominantly assault army (Orks spring to mind but I can't remember their alliance status) then its would be easy to keep both sections apart as the orks would be advancing while the Tau stay back and shoot so it would be rare that a 'one eye open' roll would be triggered let alone actually failed.
Orks and Tau are Allies of Convenience :) But that makes a lot of sense.

I personally wouldn't as I can't see an army that can't get something similar elsewhere and if you are limited on points a formation may not be a wise use.
This makes sense also.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The allies table is jacked up anyway... Why are orks/tau allies of convience? Their like arch enemies! Blood angels/necrons too... Just really!
But yeah, if it's easy to keep the too sides apart, who cares? I wouldn't play say too gun line or assault armies together though, I roll enough 1s as it is without having my guys picking their noses for it...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've considered adding some support to my Dark Eldar. Unfortunately, with a Battle Brother like Eldar, it is hard to take their Desperate Allies. The most common idea I've had is for the Ally to be a Death Company assault force. It would soak up a lot of fire and attention and should operate far enough ahead of the DE to avoid "One eye open." And since Death Company cannot be Scoring anyway, it won't matter they aren't Battle Brothers. Plus, this opens the door for a Storm Raven and/or Baal Predator to join in. Sadly, this quickly becomes an expensive ally.

But I can see it working fluff wise. The DE are using the Death Co. Not actually controlling them but sneaking behind their wake to claim souls and attack a weakened enemy. The DE are confident and arrogant enough to try such a maneuver and the Death Co would give them a spectacular show of carnage. It certainly would not be fun to fight if coordinated right. A match made in Hell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts