Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if noise marines can be competitive since I think they are really cool. Also, I was hoping someone could tell me what the optimum builds are for the unit. I have a lot of MEQ killers in my army currently and it seems like noise marines are good at popping light infantry like imperial guard and tau, so I thought they may be a good addition to my army. Lastly, should they be mounted up in a rhino or can they foot slog? Thanks in advance, death to the false emperor!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Noise Marines are very good and can even be competitive (wich is strange in the chaos marines codex...).

If you plan to use them against big units of soft targets i suggest these configurations:

6 Noise Marines, doom siren, ccw+pistols, Rhino w/ dirge caster

5 Noise Marines, 4 sonic blasters, rhino w/ combiflamer

If you need them to act as long range support my take is usually one of these:

5 Noise marines, blastmaster, rhino, havoc launcher

10 Noise marines, 2 blastmasters, icon of excess, rhino w/havoc launcher

Note that the various configurations are gret if mixed due to various roles and sinergy (with blastmasters pinning enemy units while the small assaulters approach).

Consider this list, for example:

1500 pts, single CAD

Slaanesh Lord, Bike, meltabombs, power axe, power sword, sigils of corruption (160)
5 Bikers, MoSlaanesh, 2 meltaguns, icon of Excess ( 175)

5 Noise Marines, 4 sonic blasters, rhino w/ dirge caster (147)
5 Noise Marines, 4 sonic blasters, rhino w/ dirge caster (147)

6 Noise Marines, doom siren, ccw+pistols, Rhino w/ combiflamer (172)
6 Noise Marines, doom siren, ccw+pistols, Rhino w/ combiflamer (172)

5 Noise marines, blastmaster, rhino, havoc launcher (172)
5 Noise marines, blastmaster, rhino, havoc launcher (172)

6 Havocs, 4 lascannons, veterans of the long war (180)

Lord and bikers form an extra resilient unit, screened and supported by the two sonic blasters units with dirge casters to boot.

Doom sirens units grab objectives, assaulting units pinned by the blastmasters.

Havocs kill big armoured targets.

Of course you have to forget about anti air but... you can always drop a doom siren unit and add a quadgun + aegis AND more bodies for the remaining doom siren unit.

Just food for thought :)

GLORY TO CHAOS!!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I face Noisemarines a lot with my Blood Angels. While I have no advice on how you should run them (I suggest listening to nef here, much knowledge to be shared from his corner) I do know they are quite effective at killing things.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The way I read it was that you can only have one blastmaster in a 10 man squad though I may be incorrect. I have a ton of MEQ clearing in my list already (2 vindicators, helldrake, and plasma guns) so I was looking more at the long range fire support role for my noise marines and light infantry clearing. If I dont want to mount them up is it better to have a larger unit? I own 8 rhinos so if they are much better in one I can always go with that too.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The way I read it was that you can only have one blastmaster in a 10 man squad though I may be incorrect.
"One Noise Marine per 10 models" is pretty clear I'd wager. At least that suggestion wasn't a part of the list, though sometimes there's backdoor ways of getting around things. Hey @neferhet, how did you come up with this?

10 Noise marines, 2 blastmasters, icon of excess, rhino w/havoc launcher

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
faq'd like it should be.
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloa...0k/7th-faq/Chaos_Space_Marines_v1.0_May14.pdf

Also, @Lord of Lustria , if you are using Vindicators and plasmaguns as MEQ killers, you just using a big hammer to kill termites :grin:

Vindicators love to kill everithing, especially vehicles squadrons, big bunch of not-in-cover infantry or even small elites, while plasmaguns are just the bane of any 2+ (Terminator equivalent) low model count units. Since marines are going to run in 5-10 models squads, usually in cover or inside metawl bawkses, noise marines are the right way to dispose of them.
This said, you can't go wrong if you boom them away with vindicators and mop the survivors up with plasmaguns!

To answer more directly to your need, i'd use this to kill squishy infantry

5 Noise Marines, 4 sonic blasters, rhino w/ combiflamer (152)

You spam 6 of these units and i bet at least two will arrive on target! And if you do the math, 4 blasters shooting at any mediocre infatry unit are going to kill and pin the bastards down! Also, remember that pinning is your friend here, since you can cause more than one Pinning test if more units cause a wound with a pinning weapon!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting the FAQ, I never would have caught that I'm able to use 2 unless you hadnt mentioned it so you have done me a great service today :) I think I'm going to go with the 2 blastmaster unit in a rhino build you mentioned. Also if you could answer whether Hellbrutes are viable or not that would be great so I dont''t have to make another thread asking about them. I was going to make one wit ha plasma cannon and missile launcher also so I don't know if that is the best build or not. Thanks for all the help guys.

EDIT: I was also wondering if a noise marine champion can fire a range weapon and a doom siren in one shooting phase since the doom siren is not a handheld weapon but a backpack attached set of speakers.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Thanks for posting the FAQ, I never would have caught that I'm able to use 2 unless you hadnt mentioned it so you have done me a great service today :) I think I'm going to go with the 2 blastmaster unit in a rhino build you mentioned. Also if you could answer whether Hellbrutes are viable or not that would be great so I dont''t have to make another thread asking about them. I was going to make one wit ha plasma cannon and missile launcher also so I don't know if that is the best build or not. Thanks for all the help guys.

EDIT: I was also wondering if a noise marine champion can fire a range weapon and a doom siren in one shooting phase since the doom siren is not a handheld weapon but a backpack attached set of speakers.
Glad to help :)
About helbrutes, honestly they are viable almost only as part of an Helbrute Formation
See my tacticas:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184641
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184609
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184593

Otherwise you don't get so much bang for your bucks.
Also, the noise champ can only shoot a weapon, regardless from where the weapon hangs :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts