Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started a snow-world themed Tau army, and I was wondering if anyone had a really good way of creating realistic basing effects for various wintery terrain.

I've always found achieving a powdery effect when applying basing snow. The last time I used basing snow I was pretty new to the hobby so maybe I was applying it wrong, but any tips would be great since I haven't tried it since. I use GW brand snow, but if anyone knows of anything better that would be great.

Also, I've never tried to achieve a slushy/icy effect on a base before, so if anyone knows of good materials and techniques for achieving that sort of thing, that would be super helpful!

thanks for the help :victory:

-Big Mek LugNutz

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I have always just mixed some baking soda and PVA glue (white glue) together and applied it to the base.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting method, it definitely sounds a lot cheaper than using the GW stuff. The appearance of the snow that the 'Eavy Metal team is sort of what I'm after. Could it create the same, powdery sort of texture?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looked promising, however the video says it no longer exists when I clicked on it. Is that just my browser?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool idea :eek: I hadn't considered icicles. Thanks for the link :) I'll try this method out.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I some people mix PVA glue with the snow flock and put it on like a texture paint though you may want to experiment with consistency and ratios of flock to glue

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely have to try that one out, it sounds like it would yield a really cool result. Thanks alasdair :)
@falcoso: someone mentioned a PVA and baking soda method earlier. It's not the PVA that causes yellowing overtime is it?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
No PVA always stays clear, if it goes yellow it will be the baking soda, I personally think the GW flock gives a higher quality finish but obviously it will be more expensive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cost isn't a big issue for me since I bought a bunch of flock several years ago when I was a dumb little kid :grin: Thanks so much for the clarification and for the help :good:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I take some snow flock, that I had gotten fairly cheap at a hobby store, and mix it with pva glue and a little water. This seems to make for a good packed snow look. I then sprinkle a little more of the snow stuff over the still drying snow-mix for slightly more powdery areas.
This has been working great for my Space Wolves

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Roganzar: Does the snow you're sprinkling on after stick? Like should I do this after I dip the base in the flock, but while the glue is still sticky? Also, do you have any ideas as to what the water does to the overall look?

thanks so much for the tip :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
@Big Mek LugNutz: A little of the snow flock will stick to the mixture that I use. Giving a fresh-esque appearance. While I've found the little bit of water, like about 1/4 to 1/3 of the mix (I don't really use precise measurements) makes the snow have a more packed appearance. And a little bit of an icy look if spread over base materials.
[/url]Wolf Priest Helgrim 2 by Roganzar, on Flickr[/IMG]
This is what it looks like with some flock sprinkled on top of the wet snow mixture.
[/url]Grimm Rimesrage by Roganzar, on Flickr[/IMG]
This guy's base didn't get an extra coat of the snow flock. As you can see the snow looks a little more packed and settled.

Reactions: Big Mek LugNutz

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pics :D I'll give this a go. The results are exactly what I was looking to accomplish. 1+ for helpful :good:

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Wolf priest Helgrim looks lovely. I like the subtlety. The detailing is good. And I like the elongated skull face mask.

Grimm Rimesrage however needs some help.

He needs a different weapon.
A) it's crooked.
B) it looks like an oar from a big mekk's canoe

He could also use more of his metal work detailed. The bionic arm is all one colour, and the studs on the arm could use a bronze or a brass. The red/yellow metallic provides a pleasing colour contrast as well as more detail and visual interest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts