Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read several short stories in both WHF & WH40k. But I must say, hats off to you, Mr. Bowden. :eek:k:

Savage Weapons is THE best short story published by Black Library in my opinion, and I've read alot of them. The story, characterization & dialogues are masterfully written.

The story has some extremely cool moments, such as the "friendly" conversation between two Night Lords honour guards & their I Legion counterparts :laugh:.

And my favourite moment of the story has to be "Forgive me brother". Absolutely hilarious moment.

Also THE most important revelation for Dark Angel players :

I give this short story 10/10. A brilliantly written story in an exceptionally good collection of short stories. 2nd best has to be Rules Of Engagement in my humble opinion. Graham Mcneil proves that he's the better Ultramarines writer than Nick Kyme. Very well written story.

I would really like Mr. Bowden to write the next Dark Angels HH book, continuing the story from Fallen Angels. I also have Blood Reaver, but am gonna start reading it now.

P.S. And the ending...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
God I want to click that spoiler. Where did you get the book?
I preordered AOD, Blood Reaver & Caledor the moment they were avaliable for pre-order. Avaliable at www.blacklibrary.com . They arrived Friday evening.

And hey, dont worry too much about clicking the spoiler. It's NOT bad news for Dark Angels fans, I assure you ;)

I suck at being a reviewer, but am going to do my best to explain how Blood Reaver turns out. Need a day or two to finish it though. But I must say, when talking about cover art & presentation, I think that Soul Hunter's blue tint & glossy cover made that novel's cover look far better than BR. But lets not judge a book like this one by it's cover ;)

Giving away the prologue is OK IMO, so lets just say that Uzas ( my favorite character in ADB's NL series ) goes all Hannibal Lecter on a live Marine Errant...

P.S. Sorry forgot to add, read Rules Of Engagement, then you'll know why Graham Mcneil is still king of the Ultramarines.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Just to note, the "revelation" about the Lion wasn't really much of a "revelation" since most people already knew that.

I am interested to see if this really is a 10/10. I very..... Very much doubt it, but, at this point, color me curious.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just to note, the "revelation" about the Lion wasn't really much of a "revelation" since most people already knew that.

I am interested to see if this really is a 10/10. I very..... Very much doubt it, but, at this point, color me curious.
If there is only one gripe about this story, it's that Curze's gift of foresight is a bit too powerful. So powerful that he can see beyond the WH40k universe & into the discussions that Dark Angel players have on forums about the Lion's loyalty :laugh:

But still very nicely done there by Mr. Bowden.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
If there is only one gripe about this story, it's that Curze's gift of foresight is a bit too powerful. So powerful that he can see beyond the WH40k universe & into the discussions that Dark Angel players have on forums about the Lion's loyalty :laugh:.
True but considering that his powers caused horrible migraines and began to damage his sanity over the years, its really a trade-off. His powers are very strong, but they cause him a lot of harm in return. And they are involuntary, most lore shows that his visions came on without warning and he couldn't just call on this power when he chose.

Lord of the Night

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True but considering that his powers caused horrible migraines and began to damage his sanity over the years, its really a trade-off. His powers are very strong, but they cause him a lot of harm in return. And they are involuntary, most lore shows that his visions came on without warning and he couldn't just call on this power when he chose.

Lord of the Night
That is correct, but no one in the 40k Universe other than a few of the high ranking Dark Angels in the 41st millenium may or may not have that doubt. Everyone else ( the citizens and the rest of the Marine chapters etc. ) regards him as a mythical hero of the Imperium.

But Curze was talking about US here. As in, we the people in REAL LIFE, not the citizens of the fictional WH40k universe lol.

But still, it's a nice touch, a fan-service I guess :biggrin:

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
But Curze was talking about US here. As in, we the people in REAL LIFE, not the citizens of the fictional WH40k universe lol.

But still, it's a nice touch, a fan-service I guess :biggrin:
I can't really comment, not having read Savage Weapons yet. But are you sure that is how it was intended?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't really comment, not having read Savage Weapons yet. But are you sure that is how it was intended?
I can't say for sure, as I'm not the author, but I do believe that the way ADB wrote Curze's prediction, he intended it to be a joke at, or at least humour the discussions that we have about the Lion nowadays.

Because it's crystal clear that in the 40k universe, NO ONE apart from the fallen & the uppermost echelons of Dark Angel command ( not even the all-knowing inquisition!! ) has any doubts whatsoever on the Lion's loyalty. It's us in real life who are constantly debating wether he was loyal or a fence-sitter.

And that is precisely what Curze predicted. :shok:

But that pales in comparison to what follows in the next paragraph. :biggrin:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Gav Thorpe wrote Angels of Darkness and threw in a bit at the end which suggested that the Lion was a fence sitter. He has stated that he didn't expect it to become such a huge thing. It is not a Lost Primarch thing and is, therefore, not something that was required to remain unknown.

The character who accused Johnson of being a fence sitter then appears in the HH novels and is importantly left behind on Caliban.

We then have the Age of Darkness preview vid in which ADB says 'crux of his story is whether the DAs were traitors or not'.

The story is a nice tale. I don't think it's the best short story I have ever read. The stories in that anthology are all of a good quality and they are enchanced by revelation.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I can't say for sure, as I'm not the author, but I do believe that the way ADB wrote Curze's prediction, he intended it to be a joke at, or at least humour the discussions that we have about the Lion nowadays.

Because it's crystal clear that in the 40k universe, NO ONE apart from the fallen & the uppermost echelons of Dark Angel command ( not even the all-knowing inquisition!! ) has any doubts whatsoever on the Lion's loyalty. It's us in real life who are constantly debating wether he was loyal or a fence-sitter.

And that is precisely what Curze predicted. :shok:

But that pales in comparison to what follows in the next paragraph. :biggrin:
Fair one. I guess i'll wait til I get to it and see how its worded. :)

Did you get them through the bl website?
Yes. Pre-ordering through the BL website costs you more, but you get it 3 or 4 weeks in advance of release date.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Hm..

Lord of the Night

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Dark Angels being loyalists... how sentimental. It touches me. It truly does. [Saracasam]

Kind of dissapointed really. I thought BL would have eventually turned the traitor corner for the Lion. But I suppose the idea was still over the top. Even despite it being an idea turning the corners for some years.

The way I think of it, what better idea than to arouse the whole 40k fan base. Especially those who flip out and go ape shit on the forums. Blah blah blah, there's no evidence of the Lion being traitor even though there's a whole book. Blah blah blah, Age of Darkness was bullshit, and all that other crap. I thought it was hilarious.

But oh well I guess. I guess opened presents are suppose to be ruined.

·
Registered
421 Posts
spoiler for fallen angels

havent actually read age of darkness yet so it's def something to look forward to. Even now as you say the speculation has been put to rest I still think that the Lion was a dick playing politics in the middle of an armed insurrection in Fallen Angels (end of book)

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I still think that the Lion was a dick playing politics in the middle of an armed insurrection in Fallen Angels (end of book)
Theres no better time to play politics... :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So is it too late to order it now online from BL and get it early?
Nope, it's still avaliable for order, you can order now & get it within 3-4 days.

All new stuff can be found at http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles

Oh, another thing.

No matter how much Curze denies being a slave of Chaos & using it only as a tool, it's clear that he has been mutated by it. Of course, the mutations are more subtle than say, growing a few more arms or becoming a huge Daemon prince with horns etc., but the physical changes are clearly visible according to how ADB describes them.

Even Lion's shocked to see the changes in his brother's physical appearance.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.