Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as some of you know, I bought AoBR for my son and I to start with. The dilemma i'm having is he isn't ready to expand his army yet I've found that if I don't use my Termies he can fairly easily wipe me out once in CC, but if I use the Termies I have to sandbag on my rolls to avoid killing him quickly.

So my thoughts were to sit my Termies and add a squad of Tac/Assault SM and perhaps 1 5 man squad of scouts to give me some tactical options without adding transports etc yet. I want to keep my pt total at 500 for now.

What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
122 Posts
i wouldnt go for RAS with vanilla marines as they arn't scoring and without a punch like a meltagun or sanguinary priest in the Blood Angels codex arn't really hard hitting enough.

i would go for another good ol' tactical squad and try and give them a plasma cannon and watch bits of ork flesh go flying. (tip: if thinking of buying devastators in the near future, buy the set and also a combat squad as you have left over weapons from the dev's boxed set and can use the legs and heads from the combat squad so no weapons go to waste, just a tip for future heavy weaponry against orks, works a treat!).

would always go for tactical squads over scouts, unless you can think of a really good reason for using them, as the tacticals would be able to kill more things at 24" and do better in cc.

hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
use the chaos codex get a box chaos space marines get 1 rhino put your lord and a squad of chosen in the rhino make it a 5 man squad with 5 flammers. move up disembark and unload the flammers. you will rape those orc so fast they wont know what hit them. and its only 145 for the chosen with the flammers in the rhino. then just proxy the rest as noise marines with blastmasters on foot with sonic blasters and shoot.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
use the chaos codex get a box chaos space marines get 1 rhino put your lord and a squad of chosen in the rhino make it a 5 man squad with 5 flammers. move up disembark and unload the flammers. you will rape those orc so fast they wont know what hit them. and its only 145 for the chosen with the flammers in the rhino. then just proxy the rest as noise marines with blastmasters on foot with sonic blasters and shoot.
Sledge, I haven't gotten to CSM yet, still learning with the SM while trying to each my son at the same time. Lol....

So I think i'll follow Sanguinous' advice and get another 10 man Tac Squad, those plus existing 10 man TAC Squad/DN/Cpt should be sufficient to continue learning with. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Yep, just grab a second Tactical Squad so you can have a 'legal' army. The Terminators aren't terribly useful anyway since they don't come with any special weapons so you shouldn't miss them much.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sledge, I haven't gotten to CSM yet, still learning with the SM while trying to each my son at the same time. Lol....

So I think i'll follow Sanguinous' advice and get another 10 man Tac Squad, those plus existing 10 man TAC Squad/DN/Cpt should be sufficient to continue learning with. :biggrin:
no remember hatred kill the loyalist just scratch those eagles off and you have a start plus you can field 5 man chaos squads legally. god every time you type something like Tac Squad its like someone took a kitchen knife stabbed me in the testies. ahh think of the inocent blood you could spill. your son could play chaos OrKs.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
no remember hatred kill the loyalist just scratch those eagles off and you have a start plus you can field 5 man chaos squads legally. god every time you type something like Tac Squad its like someone took a kitchen knife stabbed me in the testies. ahh think of the inocent blood you could spill. your son could play chaos OrKs.
I don't think it's very constructive to tell someone new to the game that's trying to learn to pick up a new Codex and learn a whole set of new rules. Try to be constructive, perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
And he's asking for help with his codex marines force, not a chaos marine one; so please either start helping him or stop wasting his time with useless crap like that. Save it for if/when he goes to chaos not when that is most obviously not what he is asking for help with.

Oh and by the way, yes it is useless crap, because after making mention no transports at this time, thats damn near the first thing you tell him to grab.

texcuda, if your sticking around the 500 point mark than I would suggest a unit of sniper scouts and maybe even a landspeeder depending on how many points you spend on upgrades for various units.

The landspeeder is a tougher unit to use, and due to point limitations you might not have any points to put a second gun on it. Thats actually fine, since you don't want it murdering your sons orks anyway, but at the same time not wasting points in your own army. A scout squad would be useful in learning a bit more than a second tactical squad. While you won't have the ten extra power armoured bpdies, scouts get you used to a unit with different stats, lighter armour, a static role, and a reliance on cover (the last two specific to sniper scouts.)

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
I would run something like this for a small(ish) game:

HQ:
Captain, Bolter, Power Weapon

Elites:
Terminator squad (for higher games, 1500pts and over, use a Land Raider)
Dreadnought, Melta, Power Fist, Perhaps a drop pod?

Troops:
Tactical Squad, Flamer, Missile Launcher
Sniper Scouts, I would use Telion after about 1000pts or 1500pts along with a MLThis is got to be at least 750pts, if not more.

I would reccommend getting Rhinos for your tactical squads, they are useful, but aren't vital I don't run them and I have won a few games. I prefer the hang back, then deny them the charge tactic (run into assault not allowing them the bonuses on CC). I wouldn't put Tactical Squads in Drop Pods, they just don't work well, since the squad needs some sort of protection. The sniper scouts, I personally woul run with a missile launcher and telion, because the squad are all heavies telion fits in better - and it more worth it.

Hope this helps, its all IMO though :victory:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And he's asking for help with his codex marines force, not a chaos marine one; so please either start helping him or stop wasting his time with useless crap like that. Save it for if/when he goes to chaos not when that is most obviously not what he is asking for help with.

Oh and by the way, yes it is useless crap, because after making mention no transports at this time, thats damn near the first thing you tell him to grab.

texcuda, if your sticking around the 500 point mark than I would suggest a unit of sniper scouts and maybe even a landspeeder depending on how many points you spend on upgrades for various units.

The landspeeder is a tougher unit to use, and due to point limitations you might not have any points to put a second gun on it. Thats actually fine, since you don't want it murdering your sons orks anyway, but at the same time not wasting points in your own army. A scout squad would be useful in learning a bit more than a second tactical squad. While you won't have the ten extra power armoured bpdies, scouts get you used to a unit with different stats, lighter armour, a static role, and a reliance on cover (the last two specific to sniper scouts.)
My thoughts as well regarding scouts, also it gives a him a realistic chance of hitting something. Kinda figured I would pick up a box, paint 'em up and at least have them for days I want something different, as it doesn't really count if I lose to his Orks right now :)

As for Sledge and the Chaos thing, no worries, I did tell him that I would eventually like to field a CSM army, he's just trying to edge things along abit. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
yea thanks tex for backing me. but yea here is some tips to make worth of the 500 points. reaver is right landspeeder and scouts are good options for a small 500 point game plus scout snipers cause pinning which is fatal to orKthen again land speeders can take assualt cannons or 2 heavy bolters or 2 heavy flammers. not bad for 60 points. but yea hope that is a bit more constructive towards your loyalist pig army.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i add my vote to scouts and as dark reever suggests, maybe a speeder, these if your focus is to learn diversity of play over a 'build your favorite super killer army as soon as you can' approach. gg and gl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts