Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else missing the older codices?

Don't get me wrong the newer ones are still good enough, but I myself prefer the older ones for Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids and Eldar.

I honestly have no opinion on the others as I didn't use them much, but is anyone else feeling the same way?

It seems like there's a lot of the good stuff being taken out of each army as each new codex is released, whilst more new stuff is added (sometimes cool, sometimes not so).

No?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I miss the huge amounts of fluff the 2nd edition books had compared to now and the fact that chaos marine armies could be more individual like the separate marine chapters. Personally i don't see why they don't since they would get more book sales and the gamers and fluffers would also be appeased. (This could also be applied to the eldar too)

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I miss parts of theold chaos codex. I loved possesed dreadnoughts with amplifiers and a big icon of slaanesh, combined with 4th edition could give you a -8 leadership roll if you killed a couple of models in hand to hand. Mutated hull was something else I miss from the same codex.

As for other armies, Im not sure. IG hasnt really lost much and Marines are pretty much the same with a twist.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I miss the massive amount of customization you could do in the old tyranid codex, at least back then thought went into the price of upgrades, whereas now every upgrade is a multiple of five.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I don't miss the previous marine codex, the whole chapter traits system was more broken than a 5yr old ran over by a bus...twice, I did quite like the 3rd ed marine codex though and miss that quite allot, but then its back in a day when I enjoyed the whole rule system entirely.

I don't miss the previous chaos codex either, as that was just as broken as the previous marine dex, and all you ever see people play was iron warriors everywhere, but there are parts of it that should of been kept no doubt about that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I miss the customisation you used to get in pretty much all the army books as well. The old marine codex had loads of cool upgrades to personalise your army, most are gone now and I miss that.

The old Chaos codex was overpowered definitely, but I miss some of the less common cool stuff you used to get (when people weren't playing Iron Warriors or World Eaters) like Death Guard (who I nearly collected at one point) and all the cool upgrades you could give, it was probably (and sadly will remain if fear) one of the most customisable army books ever written.

I also miss the cool sketches that watermarked all the army books (including fantasy), made the books feel so much better, they even inspired a few conversions in my collection. The new ones just have more of a cheap feel without them.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
I actually just read the previous chaos codex about a week ago and my jaw just dropped. That was such an awesome codex! There was so much customization and the ability to take different legions with different rules was very cool.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
I defiantly miss the old IG codex. I like all the new tank & artillery variants and the orders system is interesting (although they screwed up voxs in the process).

I really liked the Doctrines, they allowed for great variation & creativity and you could make your army unique & flavorful. Some people will always min/max and powergame with any customization system but you can just ignore & not play those people.

My two main grips with the new codex is that Enginseers can't get their own transport and IMO Vets should not be troops, should be 0-2 choices or you should only be able to get 1 Vet squad per Platoon you take. If you want your entire army to have BS 4 play Eldar or SM.

Just my opinions.

Like everyone else I think the latest CSM codex sucks but I won't beat that dead horse. :headbutt:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Marines' fluff has been mutilated worse than if a Keeper of Secrets had done it. Thanks, Ward!

Things were better when Marines had more options, divergent chapters in the main 'dex where they should be, and (above all) terminator command squads.

Seriously, I want terminator command squads.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Chaos Marines, of course. That Codex was awesome and made of win. I miss the 4th edition Space Marine Codex too because the Traits were really neat. I actually prefer the current Tyranid book though, as you can finally use an army made of tons of little ones and not put yourself at a massive disadvantage by doing so. Not being shoehorned into specific builds generally makes the new books superior in the end, though.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I miss the last edition ork codex. THe choppa rule combined with the new 5 edition rules would have made it great. The current codex is good but the looted wagon instead of havving looted vehicles that still retain some of their former aspects were great. The different cults that allowed different upgrades and rules. Of course the old 2 ed. orks would be great with the lifta-droppa cannons and the bubble cannons would be great fun especially now that everyone is mech heavy. "I lift up your landraider and drop it on your terminators hahahaha" comic ork violence in the future.

·
Registered
534 Posts
2nd Edition Ultramarines Codex was full of awesome, when Invictus and Helvictus and Tigirius where all badass mofos. Plus the ridiculous amounts of fluff you got, and free wargear cards!!

I hated the 3rd Edition codices, they were all so small and had so little fluff in them. I like that GW has gone back to a slightly larger book, with a good background section as a key component rather than the 3rd edition "This is the army...and the special rules...oh, there is some nice story here...ignore that...look! shiny models!! Look at the shiny shiny...."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since i'm relatively new, i can't really add much to this thread other than i really wanted to play a chaos space marine army, i bought the codex, and they were nothing like what i expected: Dreadnaughts were practically worthless, the armies seemed bland, just a clone of space marines, and demons weren't really anything that was all that interesting. After i bought that book i ended up buying the space marine and blood angel books before finally deciding on sticking with the blood angel codex.

-Narik

·
Registered
230 Posts
To the CSM dex or layout?

CSM dex (and Marine/Eldar/IG but these are all good books (well decent for Eldar) in terms of competitiveness now and Marine/IG have a ton of options) had hundreds of combinations. Things like Legions, Doctrines, Chapter Traits have all been tossed out to make the rules more 'streamlined' and less complex. GW tried to band-aid fix this by making so-so FoC changes (much better ones now i.e. Biker Marines). Books like CSM & Eldar got shafted becauses of this in 5th (Eldar to a much lesser extent) in limiting them to only a handful of good units whilst IG/SM got quick updates which made their books more flexible.

In regards to layout, the majority of rules for a unit where in it's entry. Whilst the current codex layout is fine once you've memorised the codex, memorising is a much bigger chore ans you flip back and forth (I'm currently getting in 8th fantasy so that's 13+ books I need to do a lot of flipping back and forth between). Whilst the army list section is a lot more compact with the new books, it's also generally at the back and GW binding isn't great... (my 3rd ed rulebook is held together by the barest of strings lol).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts