Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:victory:my friend colleccts necrons and he has a cheesy monolith which is cheaper than a land raider and is immune to AP1 ,melta and STX weapons and also close combat weapons do you think this aswell:so_happy::eek:k:

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
1 alone no, 2 now were having troubles, 3 OMG this is the easiest win against necrons ever

1 is so easy to kill or just ignore
2 is harder to ignore and takes more effort to kill while leaving plenty of points for other things
3 is piss easy to ignore cus they usually only have a handful of warriors

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
I think their point cost should be upped a little bit but they should also be immune to crew stunned/shaken.

They are one of the only viable options in the entire codex so I think they should be given a little leeway.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I think they are pretty mint for there points cost, they are actually the vehicle which i consider best appropriated to its cost as i think the guns on it are far worse than your standard hammerhead railgun and have less chance of taking out a land raider than your average lascannon land raider does.

The melta thing makes them very very tough but to my experience they are manageable. Take a lascannon stick it in a squad or on a vehicle and hope you get lucky. Its your best hope of killing it.

Other than that ignore it, have a go at the sqauds and try and phase them out

Plus as has already been said, there is very little else they can field viably so we cant really complain

·
Registered
123 Posts
Considering how uncompetitive the rest of the Necron army is, let them have their one shining moment in the sun!

Yes they are a pain to get rid of, yes the rules make them powerful, but none of that makes up for phase outs and outdated glancing weapons.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well cry me a river... you do realise that you're complaining about a 3rd Edition army that is no longer competitive since 5th Edition? Just learn to play instead of crying about something that manages to be almost as good as your Land Raider. And as a SM player you are in no position to call anything cheesy.

Oh look, you're banned, wonder why...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Several misconceptions in the thread so far.

1. Monoliths are not immune to AP1. AP1 adds a +1 to the damage result. All Living Metal does is negate bonuses to penetration. So if you should happen to glance a Monolith with a meltagun, you would still get the +1 to the glancing damage result.

2. Monoliths are not completely immune to shaken/stunned. The Gauss Flux cannot shoot if the Monolith suffers a Shaken or Stunned result.

3. Monolith are not "immune to close combat weapons". Certain weapons (Chainfist and Monstrous Creaures comes to mind) don't get bonus penetration, but all others work as normal (yes, powerfists get their 2xST, see GW Necron FAQ).

·
Registered
90 Posts
For every monolith he takes. That's less guys needed to kill for phase out.

Being the only vehicle the 'Crons have (excluding apoc where the 'crons have it even harder), the monolith HAS to be resilient for the battle perks it offers (reroll WBB, teliporting, firemagnet, LUNCHBOX OF DOOM)

but the fact remains. One monolith is worth more then 12 warriors. Thats 12 less flayers to worry about, 12 less guys to kill for phase out, 12 less potential WBB, the list goes on.

there you have it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You could try to charge it with Wraithlords, they have ten strength and a pair of them will make mincemeat of one, especially if it didn't move. Otherwise Carnifex charge! :biggrin:

·
Registered
566 Posts
"Oh hey warriors how do you like not getting shot at?"

"It's pretty good man."

"Great to hear that I'm just sitting here particle whipping and arcing the opponent into submission."

at least that how it is at 1k with 2 liths. Yes you have less troops so phase out is more of an issue but walk em out of LoS behind the 2 lith wall.

Sorry I like to make my models talk sometimes

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Monoliths are tough tanks, but there are other balancing mechanics than just the points value. Once you know how the whole codex works you see that it is about right in terms of points.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
It's actually a bit of a liability for Necrons, I think. While it's probably something that you need to bring in this day and age due to the emphasis gamers have arbitrarily placed on vehicles in the metagame, the fact that it's (what it costs) and isn't a Necron actually severely hurts your army overall. In place of the Monolith, you could bring what, almost 15 more Warriors?

At the end of the day, the monolith is only marginally harder to stop than a Land Raider (purely because you can't melta it.). If you're an Eldar player, you're probably screwed, purely because the lance rule doesn't work on it; but for everyone else, there are simple fixes outside of melta weapons. Hell, a good ol' lascannon does the trick just fine. One of my Predator Annihilators has a kill tick on it for every monolith it's shot down on turn 1. It actually got to the point by the end of 4th edition (note the Monolith really hasn't changed at all since the Codex came out in regards to actually killing the thing) that each tick began to represent five kills.

If you're having Necron issues, murder the Warriors. The Monolith goes away when the army phases out-- and you've got a reasonable chance of hitting that number if they've got a Monolith on the table. Even more so if they brought a C'Tan along, too.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I love the monolith rules, its awesome. But its also costed right (for once). Its much harder to kill then a land raider but it generally has less offensive capability and we're forgetting that at LRs main job is to be an assault vehicle: its delivering the 400pts character+termy unit straight into the assault with the enemy heart, winning you the game that the tank is designed for. While monoliths are good, they dont have that sort of game winning potential.

Mostly I think of monoliths as defensive- they survive, they help your army survive (unless you spend too many points on them) but dont do vast amounts of damage to the enemy. I'm only just starting to build up my necron army, but Im not really intending to have monoliths in it (might buy 1 just because I can... but its the last heavy support option on my list).

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Eldar should not have any problems: there are many S9 units, and the Wraithlord is S10, Wraithguard and D-Cannons ignore AV, and Haywire grenades as well. Just because Lances don't work does not mean Eldar are going to struggle vs a Monolith.

Also I agree that Monoliths are more of a defensive unit, in fact they are what a proper Heavy Support unit should be.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You could try to charge it with Wraithlords, they have ten strength and a pair of them will make mincemeat of one, especially if it didn't move. Otherwise Carnifex charge! :biggrin:
And since it can never move faster than 6", you'll only need a 4+ to hit it even if it did move.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
No it's not over-powered, like most have said it's rightly costed and rightly does what a heavy support do - support and survive... defensively! and 200pts of TH/SS Terminators deal with it in seconds or minutes depending on how slow you roll dice!

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Eldar should not have any problems: there are many S9 units, and the Wraithlord is S10, Wraithguard and D-Cannons ignore AV, and Haywire grenades as well. Just because Lances don't work does not mean Eldar are going to struggle vs a Monolith.

Also I agree that Monoliths are more of a defensive unit, in fact they are what a proper Heavy Support unit should be.
Eldar are the very best army for dealing with a monolith... problem is that the common eldar set-ups cannot touch the monolith- its the rarely seen units that are utterly amasing vs monoliths (with the notable exception of wraithlords- they are pretty common, especially the 3 wraithlord build).

No it's not over-powered, like most have said it's rightly costed and rightly does what a heavy support do - support and survive... defensively! and 200pts of TH/SS Terminators deal with it in seconds or minutes depending on how slow you roll dice!

Um... how do TH/SS termies deal with a monolith? They cannot actually destroy it, ever. S8 can only glance AV14, and a glacing hit that isnt AP1 cannot do more then immobalise or reduce the flux arc shots by 1... it can never destroy the particle whip, or the flux arc, so can never upgrade to a destroyed result. Now if you bring Lysander, Arjac or thunderwolves with TH then the thunderhammer will be a problem for the monolith...
Also worth a mention is just how useless the SS is vs necrons- very few necron weapons ignore 2+ armour... while a large proportion of those that do also ignore the 3++. Heavy gauss cannons, the particle whip's centre and the staff of light (combat) ignore AP2 and allow 3++, warscythes on lords, pariahs and the attacks of C'Tan ignore all saves of any kind... means TH/SS are worse then standard termies vs necrons- just about the only army where that is true.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Thunder Hammers can only ever Glance it, so they will never destroy it ever, it will stay stunned a lot of the time. 5 Termies Charging, you'll get 7-8 hits meaning 1 maybe 2 glances.

Aramoro

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
Ahh soz was thinking S10 for some odd reason :p mental blank!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts