Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it.

As I understand it, there was an intention for the Black Library digital book thing to get some coverage at GDUK.

Does anyone have any news with particular reference to whether the back catalogue is going to be available and whether it's just going to be novels/short stories/ezine or whether the ninety odd page books like xenology will be available?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm hoping for some good news here, too. I was so happy when I saw that they were going to distribute books online. I had just purchased my eBook reader when I found out, which helps a little there :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Black Library Digital had a quiet presence at GDUK. Their e-book store will be going live in mid-October and will have formats for the iPad, Kindle and iPhone amongst others.

They intend to eventually have their entire catalogue available, though begged for patience as this will obviously take time.
I'm not sure how much time it would really take. Most books have to stored as a file type, you just need a conversion program. Unless BL is using an old school printing press :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is usually more to it than just changing the file format and putting them on the site, but I don't know how much they would actually have to do since they own and publish all of the books themselves already.

I guess it depends on what DRM and stuff they're putting on the eBooks. They may also be testing the books on various readers, just to be sure.

I just finished reading all of the good books I have on my Kobo, so I want this to hurry up :)

·
BL's Most Prolific New Author.
132 Posts
I'm not sure about the P.O.D. range - I'll direct the question to the Right Person [tm] and let you know.

:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the information/assistance so far.

I presently have too many books (is that actually possible?) and i am seriously considering a Kindle, or the like, to replace the Black Library stuff. However, I think i might develop a tic if half my BL collection is digital and half paper.

·
BL's Most Prolific New Author.
132 Posts
Hi

Have asked the BL Digital team re: P.O.D. titles and it looks like yes, they will probably ultimately feature in the digital range. However, not immediately!

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's actually not an issue as long as you have the right reader.

Something like an iPad is a pain to read from as it has a backlight, like a computer screen. An e-ink device, such as the kobo, doesn't have a backlight, and actually looks like real paper. Reading from it is just the same.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found this:

It’s fitting to close this report with the Black Library, which, it’s fair to say, seemed to own Games Day 2010. What with the roll out of their writing talent, the announcement of the new open submissions period and their sales booth in prime position in the centre of the mail hall, it’s easy to see that the success of Games Workshop’s publishing arm has seen it grow in stature. Sunday’s announcement of Black Library’s new digital books was well-received and will bring the battlefields of both Warhammer worlds to iPads everywhere when they launch later this autumn. Delivering the full range of the publisher’s books – both those currently in print and those which sold out years ago – will delight many who remember the early releases, including Ian Watson’s iconic Space Marine, so fondly.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/09/27/games-day-2010-report/

Whoop whoop!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wonder why the report mentions ipads specifically?, there media devices not e-readers. Same with the promo image on black library, it's all ipad this and ipod touch that, not a Kindle or Sony reader in sight. Not many non-e-book readers seem to realise that hardly anyone actually uses their ipad as a reading device, serious readers read on a Kindle. Amazon outsells the itunes store in e-book sales by a vast amount and 80% of those books are read on it's Kindle devices.

I went and bought a Kindle as there is no-way I'm reading on ipad, even though I have the Kindle app on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Because Apple is just ubiquitous. Seriously, everyone seems to have an iPhone these days. I would frankly laugh at a digital publisher if they limited themselves to eBooks on Apple platforms. I wouldn't read any books on any of their platforms. Or anything with a standard LCD screen screen, for that matter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I read books on my PDA/Smartphone, I have for years. When I read normal books, my vision gets blurry for a bit. I can read Digital devices no probs. I actually have about 3 BL books that I bought last two months that I have not opened yet due to eye strain, so the digital thing for me would be well worth it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Would be lovely, is some way to perhaps get digital versions of books we already own.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Agreed, I've pretty much run out of space for my books at home.

My work lot go a bit grumpy as i had, like, 20books on/around my desk.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I see the BL website is launching Tom ?

Starting off with Free E-book Fridays for next 4 Fridays ?

They should do one from each major Series...

If First Heretic is available for purchase, Borders Bookstore will never see me again that's for damn sure...Even though I get a 30-40% Discount there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts