Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Well, I don't really see why. I mean, a Missile Launcher would have the Frag and the Krak, good range... really, there's no need when you have the option of the Missile Launcher.

Besides that, an ordinary Sniper Rifle can take out some light tanks already, and I doubt that there'd be any need for an anti-tank rifle anyways with the amount of power you already have in your arsenal (although Vindicare Assassins come with a "Turbo-Penetrator" round that takes out tanks pretty well).

Really - although it's an inventive idea, I grant you that - there just isn't any need for the anti-tank rifle.

Of course, if you really wanted to you could model it and create rules for it anyways, just to make your army look cooler and be a bit more... personal, if you know what I mean.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
also you have to remember that anti-tank rifles throughout history have generally been a steaming pile of useless junk at killing tanks, which is why during WWII most countries just stopped using them or used them to shoot soft skinned vehicles or armoured cars, as tanks just advanced far too fast while AT rifles stayed the same.

also a reason why we don't use them today and instead have anti-material rifles, to shoot soft skinned vehicles, or through cover.

something with a range of 36", str6, ap4, heavy 1, ignores cover, would probably do quite nicely in representing an anti-material (tank) rifle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
krak missiles dont scatter duh! :laugh:
silly old me
its just that i already moddeled anti tank rifles for my guard out of the scouts snipers.(the cloak is a pain n the ass to get off of the guard one)
i like the rules you came with stella i think i might use that if u dont mind

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know a guy who uses anti-tank rifles for his models and he just counts them as lascannons. Of course that makes it seem like a seriously powerful rifle but hey we are playing sci-fi battles with army's of miniatures that have at time taken over the dinner table so just about anything goes.

Sure a great deal of modern militarys no longer use anti-tank rifles after WWII; but that shouldn't be an excuse to dismiss the idea.

I like the anti-tank rifle Stella Cadente presented with ignore cover saves; but I would make it Str 5 and with the sniper rule so you benefit from rending and pinning plus you get a chance to kill even the mightiest of tanks.:victory:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Why ignore cover? I agree with the heavy bolter stats, and sniper, but not the ignores cover. I'd actually give it the Venom Cannon mod, -1 on the damage chart unless open topped.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Why ignore cover? I agree with the heavy bolter stats, and sniper, but not the ignores cover. I'd actually give it the Venom Cannon mod, -1 on the damage chart unless open topped.
because the modern anti tank rifle, is now an anti material rifle, and is designed to engage targets behind hard cover and soft skinned vehicles, a brick wall for example is no match for a modern day barret 50-cal round, either normal or one of its special rounds.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Yeah, but you still can't see through it, and the PTRD didn't have that benefit.
you don't have to see through something to know its there, I'm sure even with the crappy technology in the 41st millenium I'm sure they can keep up a little with us, since we have experimental sights that can see through thin walls via thermal.

and I never fired a PTRD, but since it was a more successful AT rifle against the tracks of PZ IV's and the rear of some lighter tanks, I doubt it would suffer shooting through thing walls, sheet metal and other such things

·
Registered
83 Posts
I certainly argree on that point, and if you think about it, the imperium has machine guns and pistols that fire mini RPG's and man portable laser cannons, why couldn't they have advanced the Anti-materiel rifle with the technology they have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts