Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is a sad day when a another long term veteran has to give up on his hobby, but that is what has happened to me. GW prices has forced me out of the one true hobby I love.

Thank you GW for killing off another veteran. For me to continue would mean spending 10 thousand Aussie Dollars and more just to keep up.

However i'll continue to add my two cents worth from time to time.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I feel your pain. I want to support my local bricks and mortar store as I really like the manager a great friendly person, and I play at the store whenever I get the chance. but when for instance the new space marine codex cost $90au I brought mine online from England for $70au posted. the only things I can remember purchasing in store were paints and thousand sons upgrade packs.

it is just to expensive to buy the stuff from GW. e-bay is how I've managed to stay in the hobby competitively.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What do you absolutely need for a 10K australian dollars cost ?

As a "veteran", I came back into the hobby for less than 1/10 of that cost spread upon 6 months (plus what I had in stock, of course ... prices from GW seem more a difficulty for incoming players to me) ...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I can understand what the OP is saying, if you compare the cost of items in AU$ (or even worse the NZ$) to those of the rest of the world you would see the cost of the hobby gets very expensive paying the GW prices.
for example
$90 Space Marine codex (to update to the latest)
now if you take the two demi company formation for free transports so, $55 for each additional rhino, razorback or drop pod.
and you have spare points left over because you aren't paying for transports so you might need to add some more Marines so $65 for a tac space marine squad so it adds up fast .

maybe $10000 is a bit dramatic but you get the picture.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Dramatic Goodbye Threads and Posts will not be tolerated. Anyone that attempts to kick up a fuss with a childish throw the teddy in the corner leaving thread will be immediately banned from the site. If you want to leave do so - with our blessings. Don't advertise the fact you're doing the off. If the time comes jog on quietly - posting a thread about it will be the last thing you do on the site.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post Dramatic Goodbye Threads and Posts will not be tolerated. Anyone that attempts to kick up a fuss with a childish throw the teddy in the corner leaving thread will be immediately banned from the site. If you want to leave do so - with our blessings. Don't advertise the fact you're doing the off. If the time comes jog on quietly - posting a thread about it will be the last thing you do on the site.
Baam, headshot!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
His whine is more of the same thing he has been ranting about for years now. I honestly thought he stopped playing long ago. If I had thought it was a 'quiting HO thread' I would have curb stomped it.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Yea, goodbye forum is bad, goodbye hobby is okay but this is really just goodbye gw.

And I can completely see where he's coming from. Prices here are getting beyond ridiculous. I remember when a tyrant was $60au and now they are over a hundred.

I've been treating this like a long term hobby, and it helps but it does feel like I'm not really participating at times.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
...it is just to expensive to buy the stuff from GW. e-bay is how I've managed to stay in the hobby competitively.
Given the robustness of the second hand and knock-off market I don't see how or why anyone pays retail price for GW stuff. Unless maybe one is too young to have their own eBay/PayPal account.

If I buy a new product on the second-hand market below RRP I'm not screwing GW. It was already purchased from GW and in circulation. True, GW don't make a retail sale but they aren't guaranteed that anyway. In my area if I bought new it would be from a FLGS who would (like an eBay seller) have paid wholesale somewhere along the way.

If I were buying sometime used via eBay GW wouldn't have benefited anyway. Of course, they would obviously rather I buy new from them.

It's all supply and demand. If the demand is substantial but the market is unwilling to bear the prices replacement markets will be created to meet the demand.

P.s. @Achaylus72 what would go into that 10kAu that you mentioned? I dune really have time to play anymore but I still try to keep up on rules incase I somehow find the time (wishful thinking!) but I do still collect here and there. Though my last purchase was a long oop armorcast daemon engine and not anything new or current.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can understand what the OP is saying, if you compare the cost of items in AU$ (or even worse the NZ$) to those of the rest of the world you would see the cost of the hobby gets very expensive paying the GW prices.
for example
$90 Space Marine codex (to update to the latest)
now if you take the two demi company formation for free transports so, $55 for each additional rhino, razorback or drop pod.
and you have spare points left over because you aren't paying for transports so you might need to add some more Marines so $65 for a tac space marine squad so it adds up fast .

maybe $10000 is a bit dramatic but you get the picture.
I didn't know that prices for AU or NZ were higher than for Europe. Nevertheless, a demi-company is not a requirement to get into the hobby (modelling, painting and playing). A veteran probably has the base models for 1 to 3 armies that could easily be completed according to the new codices and with the help of second hand market.

A 10K australian dollars (a little more than 6.2K euros) amount represents, for me, 3 brand new complete armies bought at full price from GW, with a delay of months (at least) before being able to field them upon table after modelling/painting. Maybe such costs are motivated by an Apocalypse meta, or by sending the models to professional studios for painting, or something like that ? The question I would ask myself is : isn't there any other way to go on with a hobby I love without spending so much money in it ?

Apart from that, two things about GW :

- GW products have never been cheap, but have not increased far more than common products (like beer or fries, to compare with basic Belgian food and drinks :D) in 20 years (about the double),

- GW is (apparently for me) still GW, which is somehow a performance compared with the other game companies that existed 20 years ago. What would 40K be today if it had been bought by Hasbro or Disney ?

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Erm okay.............

Ebay? Thats a thing ya know. There are plenty of ways to stay in the hobby without buying from GW direct. Plus, if you've already been in the hobby is it really that expensive? Sure you need to buy the new Rulebook and Codex that comes out but thats about it, not like you're forced to buy all the new stuff each go around. Hell alot of these 7th ed updates are just releasing updates, I think Orks were the only army to get a slew of new models with their new book, all the others just got a book and some boxes ghot redone. If anything its more expensive to get into as a new player, but if you're a 'Veteran' then the cost shouldnt be as bad as you're making out unless your netlistting stuff every few months.

Also, on another note, look at FW if you want to stay in the hobby, it's my understanding thats one of the reasons that Age of Darkness/30k has taken off they way it has in Australia, is because the price is about the same as buying 40k from GW all in all.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Man, I sure do like fast cars, but frankly Lamborghini has priced their products way too high - I just can't afford their ridiculous prices.

In other news, people continued to be baffled by the fact that you pay a shitload for luxury products.

My advice, honestly? Play Age of Sigmar, where you need free rules and no minimum size army, or Infinity or something else closer to your price range. I've never understood why 40k seems to have a tonne of people saying 'I really like it, but I can't afford it'; I mean, that's a refrain heard universally, but only the 40k community seems to get hung up on it as a valid complaint. I'd love to stay at the Savoy every night (hell, I'd love to stay there for one night), but I don't complain about not being able to.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
...I've never understood why 40k seems to have a tonne of people saying 'I really like it, but I can't afford it'; I mean, that's a refrain heard universally, but only the 40k community seems to get hung up on it as a valid complaint....
I can't speak for the OP, but I think what sets 40k apart is the difference between the perceived value of the product and the cost of the raw materials.

As an example jewelry is a luxury item but the high cost of gold and silver heavily influence the retail price. Cars are not too dissimilar. The actual production cost of a Lamborghini (e.g. hand made Italian luxury sports car) is really high.

I don't know what GW's actual production costs are but the perception of the cost of producing plastic miniatures is pretty far away from the RRP. I say that even if the real cost of designing models, creating molds, buying raw materials, man hours for casting control, packaging, and shipping completely balance out.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
This has all been discussed and told to the OP in the past on the site. Every year he predicts GW will fail when the profit numbers come out. I wouldn't put much effort into the thread ppl.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
People still buy stuff for GW???? I haven't bought anything from GW in about 10 years. My local store gives me 20% of all GW stuff to start but as a veteran I buy stuff off ebay. I also sell my old or wanted models on Ebay and then buy the stuff I want. I use swap sites like bartertown to trade away old models or models I don't want for stuff I do want. There are other sites craigslist,offer up, etc... that people are selling whole armies for cheap. Power gamers especially are quick to sell their old armies and get the newest latest and greatest.

I agree with ALT-f4 that new players probably have a harder time than veterans in this hobby. I wouldn't call yourself a victim of GW just less creative than some. Your only a victim if you want to be one. I choose not to so I don't buy from GW. I can't see buying from them in the future either and I plan to be in the hobby a lot more. So even these leaving GW threads are kind of annoying. You don't like GW prices find another way to buy their models. Simple as that and enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I can understand the OP's frustration. Trying to keep up with all the latest releases can sometimes feel you are just treading water. Looking for cheaper alternatives as people have suggested e-bay, flgs, etc is the way forward.

Or maybe just download the Age of Sigmar rules pick up a unit of troops and maybe a hero and get playing again.

I suppose it all depends why you are in the hobby. Model making, painting, army building or gaming?

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Trying to keep up with all the latest releases can sometimes feel you are just treading water.
Only if you're collecting every army, in both systems.

Most only have one, maybe two armies, so while I agree that compared to other systems, the GW brand is horribly expensive and desperately poor value for money, but if you are a dedicated player it should be reasonably easy to keep up with with whatever army you're collecting, as even with the accelerated release of codexes any given army only has new releases every couple of years.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts