Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend is starting a KDK army, and this gives me the 'excuse' I need to finally get off my ass and push towards Grey Knights again, because, you know, demons. I have lots of random different lists, and just keep making up new ideas.

This one is assault based, and I'd like some opinions.

Should be worth mentioning flat out that this is NOT a NemStrike, but instead a CAD. Someone else suggested using a CAD for 3 NDKs, but I went with 2 and added a Stormraven to the mix.

Librarian - Liber Domina, Stormbolter, Level 3, Teleport Homer

Terminator Squad - Hammer, Psy/Halberd, Halberd x2, JustiFalchions

Interceptor Squad - Sword x8, Incinerator x2, Teleport Homer, Melta Bombs

Interceptor Squad - Sword x8, Incinerator x2, Teleport Homer, Melta Bombs

Stormraven - Lascannons, MM, Locator Beacon

Dreadknight - PT, Psycannon, Incinerator, Greatsword

2000/2000

There's some upgrade bloat, and if I dropped all the extra stuff (melta bombs and homers and stuff) I might get one or two more Terminators, but that's about it. I wanted to at least keep the Homers on the Interceptors so they can shunt forward first turn with the NDKs and help usher in their big brothers.

Thoughts?

PS. I should probably add that the current Terminator loadout is my preference. I'm terrible with Magnets, and I'm trying to center every GK army around 3 squads of Terminators with a standard load out, to make the army kind of modular. This felt to me, like a good 'all-comers' load out. Plus they look cooler than just swords everywhere. :)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
There's some upgrade bloat, and if I dropped all the extra stuff (melta bombs and homers and stuff) I might get one or two more Terminators, but that's about it.
Could you trim it down to where you can add a second HQ and run dual NSF detachments?

Aside, can Techmarines be taken as HQ choices or can they only be taken in conjunction with a HQ choice and devoid of FOC slot? I know it's expensive, but a self-repairing Stormraven can be pretty lol's-worthy. I did this with a Land Raider Redeemer in my last game and it took 7HP of damage to take it down over 3 turns.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you trim it down to where you can add a second HQ and run dual NSF detachments?

Aside, can Techmarines be taken as HQ choices or can they only be taken in conjunction with a HQ choice and devoid of FOC slot? I know it's expensive, but a self-repairing Stormraven can be pretty lol's-worthy. I did this with a Land Raider Redeemer in my last game and it took 7HP of damage to take it down over 3 turns.
The two questions work well together. The only thing keeping it from a second NSF detachment is a second HQ, which means, for instance, a techmarine. And to answer your question, based on RAW and general consensus, in 6E and early 7E (basically, just GK), the Techmarine is still 'free' (no slot needed) if you have another HQ, but can also count as an HQ slot if you wanted to, or don't have another.

Don't believe the lies that Battlescribe tells you.

So yes, a GK army could technically JUST have Techmarines if you wanted.

I had considered putting one of the Terminator Squads into the Raven (hence why the locator beacon was there), to have a couple deep striking and one in the Raven. It's really not needed, however. I could ALSO drop the Raven, and run three NDKs by using two NSF Formations.

Are you suggesting simply flying the Raven around as a gunship with a TM in it, for shits & giggles?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Ugh....Battlescribe is not where rules are found, and those that take it as such need a rulebook.

It makes sense, Techmarines are listed as HQ selections in their own right and their rule isn't a "must" scenario it's more "if you want you can":

Adepts of the Armoury: For each HQ choice in your Detachment (not including other
Techmarines) you can include a Techmarine. These do not use up a slot on a Force
Organisation chart.
I am definitely suggesting putting a TM in the Stormraven for shits and giggles and because it's awesome, it wouldn't even change your ability to put 5 Terminators in the SR as well. Heck, if the timing is right he could even charge with the Termies adding his Flamer/Plasma Cutter to the mix then his Harness (PF) attacks once in combat.

I think he's also the least expensive HQ option to garner you a second NSF detachment, granting you access to that T1 DS/shoot and run on impact. ObSec is nice but I'm finding it less and less relevant.

Whoa...if your Stormraven has a Locator Beacon and has moved more than 6", when the squad deploys via Deep Strike along any point the SR has traveled can it then capitalize on the lack of scatter thanks to the Beacon/Homer? 'Cuz that's pretty god damned swanky.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's no way that I can think of to get 3 NDKs And a Stormraven into the same list. At least not without cutting something else. Even without most of the upgrades peeled away, adding an extra Heavy (tank or MC) Plus an extra HQ is just a bit excessive.

I could go with 2 NDKs, and have the double Strike Forces, to have the Techmarine in the mix in the Raven. But not have both. Which I don't think you ever said, but I admit, I got a little greedy. :)

*tinkers a bit*

Based on 2 NSF Formations --

Librarian - Storm Bolter

Techmarine

Interceptor Squad - Sword x8, Incinerator x2

Interceptor Squad - Sword x8, Incinerator x2

2000/2000

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The list doesn't look like it changed much in effectiveness with the changes to be honest and now you have a little Stormraven surprise for people. At first I was at a loss for losing ML3 on your Libby, but you don't lose the point when you add in the TM just his ability to cast three powers a turn.

I could go with 2 NDKs, and have the double Strike Forces, to have the Techmarine in the mix in the Raven. But not have both. Which I don't think you ever said, but I admit, I got a little greedy.
I didn't, but hey: why not try anyway right? :laugh:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer your original question: the locator beacon has to be on the board to work, so yes, Skies of Fury WOULD work, but it means nothing's leaving the 'raven until at least turn 3.

And yeah, all of the points for the TM basiclaly came from the random upgrades, and the super-libby. The various Homers on the Interceptors, the Melta bombs, etc. The locator beacon was the last 10 points I had left, basically.

I'm not sure if the overall effectiveness would be better if I got rid of the fancy weapons on the terminators (I know what @MidnightSun would probably say) in favor of, for instance, getting homers on the interceptors for when they rush forward.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
To answer your original question: the locator beacon has to be on the board to work, so yes, Skies of Fury WOULD work, but it means nothing's leaving the 'raven until at least turn 3.
From my perspective this could be an excellent way of deploying Fragiosos in my BA army while keeping my Stormravens in the air and dealing with other flying things (the only real reason I ever take them anyway). They are a bit better coming out of Pods T1 though...I'll see if I can swing it somehow. It could be the birth of the non-pod list for me, who knows?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on 2 NSF Formations --

Librarian - Storm Bolter

Techmarine - Hammer

Terminator Squad - Hammer, Psycannon, sword x4

Terminator Squad - Hammer, Psycannon, Sword x4

Terminator Squad - Hammer, Psycannon, Sword x4

Interceptor Squad - Sword x8, Incinerator x2, Teleport Homer

Interceptor Squad - Sword x8, Incinerator x2, Teleport Homer

2000/2000

Minor changes here and there. Gave up some weapons on the Terminators, got more Homers running on the Interce ptors, and gave the Techmarine a hammer incase he gets too close.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
gave the Techmarine a hammer incase he gets too close
Hmmmmm.....why the hammer?

A servo-harness gives the bearer two servo-arms, a plasma cutter and a flamer. In the
Shooting phase, the bearer can fire both harness-mounted weapons, or one harness-mounted
weapon and another weapon.
Servo-arms are AP1 power fists.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
:laugh: so a thunder hammer, two servo arms, and a power axe. Not gunna lie, I like yer style!

EDIT: I've started tossing digital weapons on a lot of my HQs just for when I need to get some wound on. Nothing worse than scoring a lone hit just to wiff on the wound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts