Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
161 - 172 of 172 Posts
I started buying models from Mantic games to use for WFB late last year, because they were so much cheaper and decent sculpts some even superior to GW. Then I tried their fantasy game system called Kings Of War, and I like it way better.

Now I'm buying a new army for that game, purely Mantic models. The next step for me is to find a different paint line. When my friends want to play WFB or 40K I'll just use the armies I already have. When my books become outdated I won't replace them, since GW minis can also be used to play Kings Of War my friends who play can play that with me or I can just do some painting in my free time. I will not buy anymore overpriced gaming products just because they have the GW logo on them.

I would like to add that for about 10 years now a friend of mine had been constantly trying to get me to play other systems and buy other companies models. I used to be one of the die-hards, and had been into Warhammer Fantasy since 4th edition and 40K since 3rd. I know for a fact there are a lot of other people like me out there too.

I'm not going to bitch about this price hike and say I'm going to switch to other companies models. Because I already have switched. So this fall while everybody grumbles and complains about GW's price hikes, and gets depressed because now they're bringing home less models for the same amount of money, I'll be busy assembling painting and enjoying all the sweet free stuff that Mantic sends me for pledging in their kickstarter program :victory:

I find the 1% to be very low. I can't even begin to guesstimate the real number though. One thing I personally think is that customer retention isn't high enough on GW's priorities. Beyond the price increase, I think that keeping people with older codexes interested is the worst part. If all armies had 1 unit coming out each year, Vets would jump on those. GW is trying with things like the fliers, but too many armies are commonly left out. My gaming group is slowly leaving, not because of prices (most of us now have well-paying jobs), but because the game is becoming ... stale. The next ed. will revive 40k for a while, but each iteration, we lose a few...

But then again, having played SoBs and GKs for about 8 years before the GK dex came out (there is no SoB dex!!!) and Necrons for 6 years before the codex came out might have left me bitter :)

Phil

I don't care if magic is more easily broken.

at least wizards makes you feel like they want you.

though, if GW relies on new blood, they're still making a bad decision. A price hike doesn't just give vets the boot. It bars new blood from doing what GW wants them to do as well as GW wants them to do it.

So, you see, it's a lose/lose situation.

£25 for a fucking codex? less than 150 pages, less than the average £5 magazine? It's not even in full colour! £10-£12 is a REASONABLE cost for something like this.

GW ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? I can get Rules for pretty much any gaming system printed for less than £20 in the shops! and that's for a 250+page rulebook!

Even my club managet has lost heart with GW now. He's moved on the Dungeons and Dragons and Kings of War. I might have to do the same.

This title is misleading!

I was helping my local GW mark up the new prices on stuff on Wednesday and we found out that Dark Elf Corsairs had actually gone DOWN by 50p!

Also most of the price rises are barely over a quid in a lot of cases it's just the few bigger ones that have been highlighted out.

This title is misleading!

I was helping my local GW mark up the new prices on stuff on Wednesday and we found out that Dark Elf Corsairs had actually gone DOWN by 50p!

Also most of the price rises are barely over a quid in a lot of cases it's just the few bigger ones that have been highlighted out.

No, it really isn't. If I were to go through and run a calc for the average increase across the entire product line I am reasonably sure I would come up with a net increase.

The title says that this is the annual price increase, which it is, and it gives a list of what was brought up in cost, implying that not EVERYTHING was affected. In short, the title is only misleading is you can't read.

Funny: Maelstrom games has a 20% voucher for ROW customers. Of course, they still can't sell me GW products. So, for the next few weeks, I can either buy GW products at +20% MSRP OR non-GW products at -20%MSRP. Let me think about what I'll buy for a minu... Done!

Soooo happy I bought everything I needed from Wayland when I upgraded my all-metal GKs to all-plastic GKs. Now, maybe a FW dread or two and the 6th ed. book will be my only GW purchases for this year. And then again, it'll be one rulebook between 2-3 friends...

Phil

Problem is Ive only been playing for two years now. I have spent approx 5 grand on GW. I cant get a single friend to do the same since they dont make all the money I do. It kills the hobby since no one can/will buy into it.

Funny: Maelstrom games has a 20% voucher for ROW customers. Of course, they still can't sell me GW products. So, for the next few weeks, I can either buy GW products at +20% MSRP OR non-GW products at -20%MSRP. Let me think about what I'll buy for a minu... Done!

Soooo happy I bought everything I needed from Wayland when I upgraded my all-metal GKs to all-plastic GKs. Now, maybe a FW dread or two and the 6th ed. book will be my only GW purchases for this year. And then again, it'll be one rulebook between 2-3 friends...

Phil
And i have repeatedly asked Wayland when they are most likely going to begin their ROW section and so far they are more secretive than the old KGB.

gen.ahab:+1000 for the pic xD definitely sending that to my girl she will LOVE that!

on the O.P.:GW has officially dug themselves even DEEPER in a hole they won't be able to get out of with their ego. I hate how they function as a business. Love their game. I will continue playing it and pass it down to my children if they see my minis. Just getting tired of forking out all this money. I am not looking forward to spending near 50 USD on the WoC book when it comes out. Not looking forward to forking out even more just for the new models they will have out.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.