Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
101 - 120 of 172 Posts
I think the big brand asda apples are over rated. I get English Grown apples delivered to my door for around 10p each when bought as part of a local produce fruit and veg box. I would struggle to believe the asda 75p a piece ones were really that much better.

Yes, but asda has stores, which is a proven business model. You can even go there and chat with someone that knows a bit about apples, but will mainly try to sell you the apples on the poster. It's how apple are introduced to apple-hobbyist. Trying to buy apple from around the corner and have them delivered is evil and asda should try and prevent that...

Phil

The only option is to NEVER buy apples again, at those prices. You should go to tesco and start eating oranges instead!
The overkill situation of only self service tills in most tescos has actually led to a price decrease in apples (and virtually anything),
this is mainly due to the fact that everything can be rung up as carrots :whistle:

Yes, but asda has stores, which is a proven business model. You can even go there and chat with someone that knows a bit about apples, but will mainly try to sell you the apples on the poster. It's how apple are introduced to apple-hobbyist. Trying to buy apple from around the corner and have them delivered is evil and asda should try and prevent that...

Phil

Phil
Ah but no!

While some people will buy their apples from the stall around the corner, for less. Asda still sells a lot of things that that stall doesn't. Bananas, mangos and cherries. You can't currently get these fruit at that stall, so asda is still going to get custom for those.

Now if asda were to lower the price of their apples, not down to 10p, but perhaps to 50p. A LOT of people would return to asda for their apples, because their nicer than that stalls apples, and they are affordable.

The stall is then force to sell things that asda doesn't currently sell, exotic fruits perhaps? That way people benefit from lower prices in asda and more variety overall. And in 6 months time, Asda will only raise the price of apples again anyway. . .

No, I swear, the stall around the corner had better price and the same choice as asda. They even delivered. But, unfortunately, that stall bought it's apples in bulk from asda. Now asda has forced that stall to stop delivering to my place because it wants me to go to the nearest asda. It's a lot more expensive, but they have those shiny apple displays and posters. You can even taste an apple with the staff. Now, I've eaten and cooked apples for years, so I don't need that, but asda insists. They say it's better for me and apple-lovers at large.

Phil

Ah but no!

While some people will buy their apples from the stall around the corner, for less. Asda still sells a lot of things that that stall doesn't. Bananas, mangos and cherries. You can't currently get these fruit at that stall, so asda is still going to get custom for those.

Now if asda were to lower the price of their apples, not down to 10p, but perhaps to 50p. A LOT of people would return to asda for their apples, because their nicer than that stalls apples, and they are affordable.

The stall is then force to sell things that asda doesn't currently sell, exotic fruits perhaps? That way people benefit from lower prices in asda and more variety overall. And in 6 months time, Asda will only raise the price of apples again anyway. . .
Now cherries I grow at home, 4 nice little cherry trees in the back garden, home produced might be hard work, it might be a bit pricey to start up, but the results are very satisfying.

I win on the apple front.

I buy mine from Aldi and pay roughly the equivalent of 20p per apple at most and they taste the same as the apples from bigger supermarkets but are cheaper because they have a brand name that no one knows about.

The 75p per Apple bits pays for is mainly for the Asda brand more than anything else.

It's all gone pear shaped, why couldn't everything go back to being peachy?

I win on the apple front.

I buy mine from Aldi and pay roughly the equivalent of 20p per apple at most and they taste the same as the apples from bigger supermarkets but are cheaper because they have a brand name that no one knows about.

The 75p per Apple bits pays for is mainly for the Asda brand more than anything else.
No I believe I win, I get mine for free from work and they get them from Coles.

Lets not all be Sour grapes. If GW gives you lemons make lemonade...slightly more expensive lemonade, but at least it tastes better than slightly more expensive lemons.

Lets not all be Sour grapes. If GW gives you lemons make lemonade...slightly more expensive lemonade, but at least it tastes better than slightly more expensive lemons.
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give You lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give You lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
That is, by far, the most aggressive lemon-related post I've ever read. You've really squeezed out every drop of anger...

:biggrin:

Would it be stealing Asda's Intellectual Property if you bought their apples, ate them and then planted the pips to grow new apple trees producing near identical apples at minimal cost?

Would it be stealing Asda's Intellectual Property if you bought their apples, ate them and then planted the pips to grow new apple trees producing near identical apples at minimal cost?
Yes it would and as a community we should frown on such blatant piracy and make tutting noises at anyone doing such a thing.

101 - 120 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.