Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
81 - 100 of 172 Posts
I talked to my FLGS owner today (where i pre-ordered an ork fighta (@ 20% off :so_happy:)) and he told me that his rep couldn't figure out the price increase either, its too drastic for inflation (which would be closer to 3-5%). so he guesses that its prolly because GW just decided to up the price. He is pissed, but he also expects to get a lot of business before the 1st, and then nothing until 6th.

the overal percentage would look like 3% if you averaged it over the whole range. but gw doesnt put every price up only a selection. This means some stuff may go up 10%,20% whatever and others not alot, and then most of the range stays the same. obviously if you only happen to want stuff that goes up it will have a bigger impact on you. when you think about it 3% wouldnt even cover the increase in petrol cost this year, which gw pays on all its products to get materials to its factory, then again to ship out to stores, retailers and homes.

just checking people understand how the whole australia and canada thing works. you realise there money is worth more than ours, so technically they earn more than we do. therefore an equivilent of a £14,000 a year job here earn someone $20,000 in aus, so the tank you buy for £40, actually cost them the equivilent of £28 when they were allowed to buy with our currency.

so when gw sells to a stockist in aus and they pay say £24 for the tank, plus the cost of importing it and their own rent, wages etc... they actually pay more than it costs it order it from a net company in the uk. who mearly unpack a box and relabel it to make their profit and put independent stockists out of business the other side of the world.

I have 2 friends who run independent stockists and they both think gw are doing the right thing by them, and although many wont say this to the customer who walks in moaning about "evil gw and there awesome products i want" as you pay them your money, it means that in 5 years time there will actually be a player base in AUS, and Canada and the uk, as people can actually get into this hobby.

its exactly the same thing wizards of the coast did a few years back, and after a few years of the evil wizards fist rasing, magic the gathering is now back into growth in the uk. again we "earn" more than the americans so if we could buy direct from them, it would be hugely cheaper than buying from the local store in the uk.

just checking people understand how the whole australia and canada thing works. you realise there money is worth more than ours, so technically they earn more than we do. therefore an equivilent of a £14,000 a year job here earn someone $20,000 in aus, so the tank you buy for £40, actually cost them the equivilent of £28 when they were allowed to buy with our currency.

so when gw sells to a stockist in aus and they pay say £24 for the tank, plus the cost of importing it and their own rent, wages etc... they actually pay more than it costs it order it from a net company in the uk. who mearly unpack a box and relabel it to make their profit and put independent stockists out of business the other side of the world.

I have 2 friends who run independent stockists and they both think gw are doing the right thing by them, and although many wont say this to the customer who walks in moaning about "evil gw and there awesome products i want" as you pay them your money, it means that in 5 years time there will actually be a player base in AUS, and Canada and the uk, as people can actually get into this hobby.
1 AUS$ is worth 62.3p, £1 is worth $1.60AUS so how exactly is their money worth more?

And even if it is more, we currently pay £41 for a land raider, Aussies pay $110 which is best part of £68.50. Is Australia really 67% more expensive than the UK?

The high prices will not ensure a player base remains in Australia in 5 years. Have you not seen the annual sales dropping consistantly in Australia? The constant increases in prices is only diminishing the player base and preventing more people from getting into the hobby

GW needs to look at lowering their cost rather than raising the prices to cover the cost.

1 AUS$ is worth 62.3p, £1 is worth $1.60AUS so how exactly is their money worth more?
I think he meant that the Au$ is worth more, compared to itself. For example, the pound was worth 2.00 CDN$ 5 years ago. Now, it's worth 1.65 CDN$. Yet, GW products are still twice the price in Canada. I call that money-exchange profiteering, and won't EVER buy something at a profiteering rate. Most big companies do it, and it's disgusting. Higher money value is BAD for a country(hurts the local economy, since there's less exports, ensuing job losses...), and the only real upside is the capacity to buy out-of-country at a better price. When companies block that possibility for self-profit, I refuse to buy from them. I could still wiggle around for GW, but it's more difficult. I had to haggle a lot with a local stor when buying my Panasonic projector (managed to get the US price, 20% off...).

Phil

the overal percentage would look like 3% if you averaged it over the whole range. but gw doesnt put every price up only a selection. This means some stuff may go up 10%,20% whatever and others not alot, and then most of the range stays the same.
It is very hard to work out what the average increase is across the range, because you would have to know the relative sales of the different kits to calculate it accurately.

As an alternative one can look at the long-term price increases. I recently found a receipt for a visit to Games Workshop in March 1997 - 15 years ago - when among other things I paid £10 for a space marine attack bike. This is priced at £15.50 as of today. If we work out the average price increase per year then it is just under 3% per year.

The Bank of England have a really cool inflation calculator - see http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Pages/inflation/calculator/flash/default.aspx - which will calculate how the average price of items has changed over the centuries. I can put £10 in for 1997 and it tells me that on average inflation would increase the cost of such an item to £14.93 in 2011, with inflation running at an average of 2.9%. That's very close and it also compares the 2012 price with 2011 inflation, and doesn't include all of the price increase due to the VAT rise.

Obviously this is just one item in a large range, and perhaps price increases have been larger for other things (army books and codices spring immediately to mind), but on balance it looks to me as though GW price increases have been fairly reasonable, once you take the long view.

It's also worth noting that I bought some knights panther on the same day. At the time these were metal riders on plastic horses, and the knights in the current plastic box set are still cheaper per model then the price I paid back in 1997. I paid £3 per knight in 1997, and today it is £20 for eight knights, or £2.50 each - so we're still benefiting from the reduction in price due to the conversion from metal to plastic.

Inflation is unpleasant, particularly if your income does not keep pace - my pay is down about 10% relative to inflation over the last few years, and it's only going to get worse - but Games Workshop do not look particularly villainous in this regard.

I think there is a big problem with the overall squeezing of budgets and the truth is that in the current economic climate to invest in a 1500 pt army- or multiple armies in GW systems is very expensive - Yes there are people who can afford the prices but many of us faced with wanting a better bang for our buck will and are switching to more affordable systems. I know my GW collection is on hold for the time being. I just cant justify paying the prices (even at discounted stores like Dark Sphere - 25% off).E bay and second hand figures are also suffering from rising prices.

Seen the email from GW today with mine own eyes, price points will be officially released next week.

Land Raiders are at $75.
As a point of interest, I looked up on solegends the price of the Land Raider in 2004/5 - the earliest I have been able to find - which was US$50. So over eight years the increase in price is 50%, which is approximately 5.2% each year compounded. Does anyone remember the price of the Land Raider when it was released in 2000?**

Using the US inflation calculator - http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ - then you can see that an inflation-only increase from 2004 to 2012 would lead to a price of about US$61. This is an average increase of 2.5% per year. Notable that this price would even be below the current price of US$66.

So the Land Raider price increase does look a bit steep, but part of this might be because inflation in the UK has generally been higher than in the US.

** Being generous to GW, I'm going to assume that the Land Raider was priced at US$50 at release in 2000. An inflation-only increase yields a 2012 price of US$67, so if the Land Raider was US$50 at release, and if it stays at its new price of US$75 for a while, then it could be merely inflationary increases in price.

waylands have sent out a UK rrp price rise list

Regular predators up to £35 Stormraven to £50, Razorbacks to £25... Space marines codex to £25 space marine battle force up to £80, imperial bastion up to £25 dark angels vets up to £20

waylands have sent out a UK rrp price rise list

Regular predators up to £35 Stormraven to £50, Razorbacks to £25... Space marines codex to £25 space marine battle force up to £80, imperial bastion up to £25 dark angels vets up to £20
Hmm, so that's:
Predators £31 -> £35 (+12.9%)
Stormraven £41 -> £50 (+22.0%)
Razorbacks £20.50 -> £25 (+22.0%)
Codex £20 -> £25 (+25%)
Battleforce £60 -> £80 (+33.3%)
Dark Angels Vets £15.50 -> £20 (+29.0%)

Are you sure the last three are not new releases? £80 seems a big jump for the battleforce and £25 is the price point for the hardback Fantasy army books, so it could be for a new hardback Space Marine codex..?

Hmm, so that's:
Codex £20 -> £25 (+25%)

Are you sure the last three are not new releases? £80 seems a big jump for the battleforce and £25 is the price point for the hardback Fantasy army books, so it could be for a new hardback Space Marine codex..?
The space marine codex is the largest of the 40k I think, so that's probably why the jump is so high.

Hmm, so that's:
Codex £20 -> £25 (+25%)

I only have what they put on the file, it certainly looks like its the same item being bumped up in price as its old price new price format for one item...

Also Black Templar codex going up from £15 to £20

well if thats the entire list im pretty happy, hardly worth any upset to be honest,battle forces are a bit of a kicker, but nothing to write home about to be honest. also i think some of those have gone up in price because of the cost to mail them has increased significantly in the last few months.

Assuming you split the cost of AoBR with a friend, starting a SM army at the minute realistically costs £110 before paint (AoBR, codex and battleforce for a roughly 1000 army)

That is going to cost £135 after the price rise, which is sheer madness.

And the battleforce going up to £80 is disgusting. For 25 infantry and a tank? Assuming the tank is counted as 10 models (only a rough guideline, by no means accurate) it makes it over £2 a mini, for plastic!

Assuming you split the cost of AoBR with a friend, starting a SM army at the minute realistically costs £110 before paint (AoBR, codex and battleforce for a roughly 1000 army)

That is going to cost £135 after the price rise, which is sheer madness.

And the battleforce going up to £80 is disgusting. For 25 infantry and a tank? Assuming the tank is counted as 10 models (only a rough guideline, by no means accurate) it makes it over £2 a mini, for plastic!
well to put it into perspective, Asda wanted me to pay £3 for 4 apples (nice apples) thats 75p an apple !! for fecking apples!!!!!!!!

Anyway the price rise could be much much worse, the next AOBR type set will be £80 :read:

well to put it into perspective, Asda wanted me to pay £3 for 4 apples (nice apples) thats 75p an apple !! for fecking apples!!!!!!!!
The only option is to NEVER buy apples again, at those prices. You should go to tesco and start eating oranges instead!

Anyway the price rise could be much much worse, the next AOBR type set will be £80 :read:
:puke:

81 - 100 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.