Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mission: Secure And Control Gamma Level.

Angels Wing (BA's)

HQ
Chaplain: Jump Pack (120pts)

TROOPS
5 x Assault Marines: Power Fist (165pts)
5 x Assault Marines: Power Fist (165pts)

ELITES
10 x Death Company (6 Purchased, 4 Free) (230pts)
5 x Terminators: Assault Cannon (230pts)
5 x Terminators: Assault Cannon (230pts)

FAST ATTACK
1 x Multi-Melta Attack Bike (50pts)
1 x Multi-Melta Attack Bike (50pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator Annhilator: Heavy bolters (130pts)
Predator Annhilator: Heavy bolters (130pts)

(1500pts)

Shadow Scorpions (DA's)

HQ

Captain Jeridian 1xCompany Master- Bolt pistol, power sword, iron halo, frags, krak, Fearless (115pts)
Command Squad 5xVeterans- 2xFlamer, Power fist, Fearless (140pts)
Rhino (35pts)

TROOPS

Tactical Squad: 10xSpace Marines: Plasmagun, Missile launcher, Power Fist (215pts)
Rhino: (35pts)
Tactical Squad: 10xSpace Marines: Plasmagun, Missile launcher, Power Fist (215pts)
Rhino: (35pts)

Fast Attack

Assault Squad 5xSpace Marines: 1xPlasma pistol, Power Fist, Drop Pod (165)
Ravenwing Support Squadron 1xLand Speeder Tornado- Assault cannon, multi-melta (100pts)
Ravenwing Support Squadron 1xLand Speeder Tornado- Assault cannon, multi-melta (100pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Predator Annihilator: Heavy bolter (130)
Predator Annihilator: Heavy bolter (130)
Whirlwind (85)

Total: 1500

Deployment:
We roll for counters and end up with 5 In all with one on the central ruin and four In each adjacent corner piece. With deplyment I tried to split deploy to cover all counters and to counter the drop pod squad. Looking back this was probably not the wisest move as the Scorpions opted to castle hard on my left leaving my assault squads way out of range of any Infantry also leaving parts of my relatively small force unsupported.
I opted to place both termie squads together and central to advance behind the central ruin limiting fire while trading shots with any oncoming transports while also looking to claim the objective, the Death company also looking for a safe route to combat join Just behind out of LOS of any ranged fire, preds sit nicely hidden with decent fire lanes available.

Turn 1:
I lose the first turn and the Scorpions chose to go first charging towards my left In conga line formation popping smoke on all three Rhino's protecting a large part of his force, tornado also flanks to my left looking to pressure my preds turn 2 no damage taken (yet!)
My turn sees my termies advance straight ahead looking to slow the conga line and possibly pop speeder pressurising my pred, Death company advance Just behind looking to manever a charge should the Scorpions chose to further their advance. My two bikes turbo down the right flank behing the left forest to pressure the speeder and preds, both assault squads advance outside LOS to support bikes should speeder chose to take on the bikes, my left Pred falls back to my right and pops smoke. Shooting sees my central pred blow the back Rhino entangling one the ten man squad while one of the termie squad manages to stun the speeder on my left.

Turn 2:
Turn two sees the scorpions advance further forward unoading the command squad and tactical squad using the rhino's for screening for los blocking and to try and encourage a charge from the DC! ;)
Speeder on my right pinned back has no choice but to engage the bikers and swings Into play, preds move of to the right to pin back my preds. Shooting sees the speeder wipe one of the MM bikers for the first casualty.
My turn sees my twin assault squads advance to help nullify the tornado, termies adjust to pop the stunned speeder and to shoot down a Rhino, Death company switch back to original position to support left flank. The predator on my left to avoid the preds and to minimise shots from the speeder nips behind the forest popping smoke.
Unfortunatley I only have one ass-cannon on the stunned speeder which fails to damage the speeder! :eek: Centre pred takes shots at the back rhino Immobilising It, MM bike stuns the speeder on my right, 2nd termies squad blows a SB from the front rhino.

Turn 3:
After failing to damage the speeder on the left flank It swiftly jumps out to counter my smoked predator, active rhino and both squads fall back away from a charge from the lurking DC with the command squad opting to go through the forest. Both predators reform falling back to my left from a possible shot from the remaining MM bike.
It's time the DC made their move, making a Jump towards the forest based squad using the wrecked rhino to block los to the rest of the Scorpions force. Both assault squads move within 12" to assist the attack bike taking down the remaining speeder, terminators advance to take on the Scorpion castle, predator still relatively pinned In place from LC and ML fire hangs fire to shoot the command squad.
Shooting from the Scorpion speeder see's the dreaded glancing six of doom come Into play Instantly putting my second pred In dire danger! :eek: The previously entangled Tac squad let rip with their Bolters and plasma gun taking down three precious Termies, not good!
My return fire saw the MM bike taking out the pesky speeder and a combination of termie, DC and pred firepower took the command squad down to 3.

Turn 4:
Turn four see the Scorpions deploy their drop pod mounted assault squad, looking to put pressure on the objective on my right flank they score a direct hit and deploy away from the localised termies. Both preds adjust to gain shots on to my remaining pred and to put some covering fire down the right flank should I chose to attack the assault squad, remaining speeder moves In for the kill on the second pred. Tac squad and Jeridian pulls back further away from the oncoming DC while staying within scoring distance of the left hand counter, rhino follows. The remaing two command squad members look to climb aboard the burning pred to avoid the central termie firebase while flaming the DC.
Shooting from the Scorpions sees the tornado take out It's second pred of the evening! :angry:, while the single plasma pistol and BP's from the assault squad wipes out the second biker. Movement for me sees the DC lunge for the tornado hoping the termies can get Into range to kill of the remaing marines holding the forest enabling me to lap round turn 5/6 hitting the scorpions flank HARD! :teehee: Both assault squads and the MM bike advance within 12" of the pooded squad while using the forest to avoid the well placed pred. Shooting sees one squad of termies being out of range while the other drops another marine from the forest, combined shooting from the assault squads and MM bike drop two assault marines, all units hold. The first assault phase sees my Chaplain pull down the tornado leaving the DC Infuriated looking for some CC action!

Turn 5:
Seeing the DC advance with time running out the Scorpion tac squad based on the rhino wreck Jump to support the central objective with the preds and to gain shots on the DC last turn If possible, the other preds position themselves to hit the central and right flank objective respectively . With the DC getting close Jeridian and company pull back knowing a charge from the frothing madmen Is on Its way. After taking a few hits on the termies I decided to stay and hold the central objective to try and warn away the local pred, the combat squads now decide to split with them both looking to hold the two on my right flank making a Jump on turn 6. With the DC running out of time and the rhino the only valid target within 18" off they went looking to possibly wreck the rhino, block los sight hitting Jeridian last turn while possibly claiming the left flank objective. With no shooting from the rest of my force and the only target In charge range for the DC being the rhino they charge In causing mutiple penetrating hits exploding the rhino and taking two Scorpions with the vapourised wreckage!

Turn 6:
Final turn!
With the DC now within the scorpion lines the Inactive tacs based within the two ruined buildings both line up their sights on the DC with Jeridian looking to clip the end of the DC's squad along with the remaing PF wielding squad. The central pred puts the peddle to the metal going 12" and popping smoke within 6" of the central objective, the second pred knowing that an all terrain drive would be needed attempts a 12" move to contest the right objective only to see the wreckless driver go headlong Into the first tree Immobilising the pred leaving the objective open for the taking! :teehee:
Shooting from the scorpions sees the two tac squads and a few pistol shots claim 5 DC casualties!, with the rest of the BA force all hidden the only damaging shot comes In from the relatively Ineffective Whirlwind, aiming for the central full termie squad It causes a hit and 4 wounds, the termies fail a single save and get pinned In the process! :angry:
Combat ensues and Jeridian charges In with the few remaing marines keeping the Chaplain at distance chopping down 2 DC members In the process attacks back sees the DC take a single wound from Jeridian and takes down 2 of the tac marines, Jeridian and the ramining PF Sgt remain everyone moves In for the final combat.
With the two objectives on contested the two assault squads move In unmolested to claim, with large termie squad pinned but still within the objective the remaing two members from the other squad look to advance for side shots on the smoked predator to free up the objective. The only shooting sees the termies fire Into the unknown missing the pred through the thickend smoke leaving the objective contested, the final combat sees Jeridian knocked down to a final wound with the Sgt taking hits and dropping for the last casualty of the game.

Final Result: Angels Wing 1195VPS (13) Vs Shadow Scorpions 590VPS (7pts)
Win! :no:

Overall I was quite happy with how the list worked but a bit dissapointed In how I deployed and utilised my advantages.
With the mission being secure and control I tried to split and cover all counters, considering the small size of my force and the fact that the Scorpions castled on the left flank It left units like my preds unsupported and In the end easy targets for the speeder. In hindsight with the lack of AP within the Scorpions deep striking the termies within the Scorpions ranks would have been a far better option looking to hit with the DC assault squad and termies turn 2/3 outgunning and out-assaulting them.
Overall I still think once the Chaos codex and SM's get a redux there willl be a big turn around with the availability of high ST low AP weapons so hopefully this type of list could excell, we will have to wait and see.....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts