Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Heretics, I've come to these boards with a list, which I haven't made one in a while, so I'm looking for advice. So, I recently bought the Deathstorm starter set and realized that I wanted to make a Blood Angel Chapter army. I will provide two list, the first incorporating all of the models that I currently own from box set, and the second without it.

HQ:
Captain Karlaen: Terminator armor, storm bolter, Iron Halo, The Hammer of Baal

Librarian Dreadnought

Total = 310

Death Company Squad x10: Jump Packs, Power Fist, Power Weapon, Thunder Hammer, x7 Chainswords

Death Company Squad x10: Jump Packs, x3 Power Fists, x7 Chainswords

Terminator Squad x4: Assault Cannon

Troops:
Tactical Squad x10: Sergeant(bolt pistol & Power Fist), Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Rhino

Tactical Squad x10: Sergeant(bolt pistol & Power Fist), Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Rhino

Heavy Support:

Stormraven Gunship: 4x Stormstrike missile, TL Multi-Melta, TL-Lascannon

2nd List:

Librarian Dreadnought

Chaplain: Digital weapons, Melta bombs, Jump Pack

Elites:

Death Company Squad x10: Jump Packs, Power Fist, Power Weapon, Thunder Hammer, x7 Chainswords

Troops:

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad x10: Sergeant(Combat Shield and Thunder Hammer), Jump Packs, x2 Melta Gun

Assault Squad x10: Sergeant(Combat Shield and Thunder Hammer), Jump Packs, x2 Melta Gun

Heavy Support:

Predator: TL Lascannon & sponsons, Extra armor

Predator: TL Lascannon & sponsons, Extra armor

Stormraven Gunship: TL Assault Cannon, TL Multi-Melta

2000 Points

So both list are pretty much hammer and anvil, the tactical squads move toward objectives in their rhinos and hold them. While they do so, the Death Company or Assault Squads will either deep strike behind enemy lines or swoop into a critical fight on board the Stormraven gunship. The Terminators... I think I'll eventually replace them with the Assault variant, since Karlaen is suited for close combat and everything. I don't know how the Librarian Dreadnought will perform, but that's what I built him as so I guess I'll use him :p.

The 2nd list definitely does more to deal with vehicles, there are options in the first list, but I have to get in close with either meltas or power weapons.

So any advice? Anything that can make these lists better?

Also, models I own:

Captain in Terminator Armor
Librarian Dreadnought
5x Death Company(1x Power Sword, Thunder Hammer, Power Fist)
4x Terminators(1x Assault Cannon)
1x 10 man Blood Angels tactical squad (1x melta, heavy flamer, and Sergeant with bolt pistol and power fist)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Welcome back to Blood Angels! Now is really the golden time to start a BA army, resplendent in their bling'd up armour from across a few different kits and entirely on 32mm bases? Glorious. Makes a guy want to quit and start again, y'know? :laugh:

I like your lists and what you're going for in them, so here are my thoughts on some of your unit and wargear selections based on my experiences playing the Codex since the day it was released.

1) Karlaen is nothing special on the table-top. He's a cool model and if you like him you'll like playing him (and yes, totally put him in a Terminator Assault squad for max bling/hammer-nation), but you should really look into getting or converting a Priest. A unit of Assault marines with an attached Priest hits just about as hard a a Death Company squad on the charge and doesn't tend to get shot at as much on the way in. A Priest with Sanguinary Guard? Aaaaawwwww yea.

2) The Librarian Dreadnought has a lot of potential but in 6/7 games using it I haven't seemed to be able to find its spot. With access to Pyromancy I want to run it rampaging around the battlefield, but I'll be damned if there aren't melta guns or something of the like everywhere in my games. He seems like he'd be a good backup unit for some Assault squads casting Unleash Rage to get them up to 5 attacks/base on the charge but I can't seem to pull it off. For 10 points less than a ML2 Libbynaught you can take a Furioso with Frag Cannon and Heavy Flamer in a Drop Pod and wreak havoc among almost all types of opponents. I play two of them habitually and my opponents hate me for it (though they have their tricks in all fairness), it's even possible to magnetize the front plate of the Dreadnought if you can still pop it off. I have pictures of mine somewhere if you're interested.

3) Concussive is almost never worth the 5 points the Thunder Hammer is over the Power Fist, unless it's because they look cool as fuck. My WS Captain on bike has a TH because a PF would have looked dumb, and I will pay those 5 points gladly :grin:

4) I pretty much never put upgrades on Tactical squad sergeants. It can be useful and with the Baal Strike Force Detachment we're on the charge more than ever but it's a bit of a points sink. 75 points on sergeant upgrades is a lot of points to spend elsewhere, potentially making other units more consistently better.

5) I have a Chaplain and play him occasionally with my DC (old metal Lemartez) but can not friggin' wait for the LGS to get a copy of Astorath in. I'd convert one but that model is too good...the one true Reclusiarch leading 10 DC would be devastating. Me want.

Hopefully this jogs some thought, I'm always down for some BA list/strategy talks. Cheers! :drinks:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey, ntaw, thanks for the rundown! :) After looking at your suggestions, I think I'm leaning toward the second list and making changes to that (though with the new Assault Marines box, it'll be more expensive :p, ah well, that's GW for you).

Here's the changes that I've made:

HQ:
Librarian Dreadnought: ML2, Heavy Flamer
Sanguinary Priest: Digital Weapons, Melta bombs, Jump Pack, Valour’s Edge

Elites: Death Company Squad: Jump Packs, 2x Power Fist, 1x Power Weapon, 2x Thunder Hammer
Furioso Dreadnought: Frag Cannon, 1x Heavy Flamer
Furioso Dreadnought: Frag Cannon, 1x Heavy Flamer

Troops:
Tactical Squad x10: Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Rhino
Tactical Squad x10: Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Rhino

Fast Attack:
10x Assault Marines: Jump Packs, 2x Meltas, Sergeant (Combat Shield and Power Fist)
10x Assault Marines: Jump Packs, 2x Meltas, Sergeant (Combat Shield and Power Fist)

Heavy Support:
Storm Raven Gunship: TL Lascannon, TL Multi-Melta, Extra Armor 205

So, I considered putting in a Terminator Librarian along with a squad, but then I thought, 'how many turns am I going to use this guy before he's stuck in close combat?' So I opted for the regular Librarian instead. My plan is to sit him in a tactical squad and give him biomancy or divination powers that will hopefully help bolster the squad's defenses.

By dropping the upgrades on the Tactical Sergeants, I was able to add four more power fists to the Death Company. They're officially shooting magnets now :D, but riding in the storm raven should protect them from the worst the enemy has to offer.

I added in two furioso dreads, one in a drop pod to surprise the enemy and another will ride in the storm raven to back up the Death Company. I've heard good things about the frag cannons, so I definitely took them, but I only had points enough for one heavy flamer. I dropped the predators because with the addition of the Dreadnoughts, I don't think I need them as much?

What do you think:)?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
HQ:

Librarian: ML2, Digital Weapons, Melta Bombs, Force Weapon

Sanguinary Priest: Blood Chalice, Narthecium, Digital weapons, Melta bombs, Jump Pack, Power Fist
The only thing here that irks me is the Fist on the Priest. I often play mine as the Warlord and get the +1 Initiative trait, when combined with our BSFD bonus on the charge he's lookin' at being I6. Give him Valour's Edge and now he's striking at I6 using an AP2 weapon (likely in a Challenge)...this is good stuff. I typically let the Fists in the squad he's attached to (Sanguinary Guard in my lists) do the talking for anti-armour and if he really needs it and I have to wiggle room I'll drop Melta bombs on him. Both the sword and the bombs together are the same points cost as a Fist.

Death Company x10, Jump Packs, x5 Power Fists, 1x Power Weapon, 1x Thunder Hammer, 3x Chainswords
That is by far the most kit I've ever seen suggested on a DC squad. That's 170 points in upgrades! I could never bring myself to spend so much on a unit (two Fists in a 10 man squad w. Packs is already 280 and pushing it for me) but if that's the way you like it then throw down. They'll destroy anything they touch but they're the number one target in your army.

Furioso Dread: Search Lights, Magna-Grapple, Frag Cannon, Storm Bolter, Drop Pod

Furioso Dread: Search Lights, Magna-Grapple, Frag Cannon, Heavy Flamer
I'm gunna pretend that Storm Bolter is a typo :laugh: I know it's nice to be able to reach out with those two shots every now and again, but the three template reality is just punishing against pretty much all infantry options. The best thing about the Heavy Flamer:

It's free when you take a Frag Cannon.

Check out the wording, you can upgrade whatever arm you want to have the FC. It's perfectly legitimate.

10 man Tactical Squad: Melta gun, Heavy Flamer, Rhino

10 man Tactical Squad: Melta gun, Heavy Flamer, Rhino

Fast Attack:

Assault Marines x10: Jump Packs, 2x Melta Guns

Assault Marines x10: Jump Packs, 2x Melta Guns

Heavy Support:
Stormraven Gunship: 4x Stormstrike Missles, TL Multi-Melta, TL Lascannon, Extra Armor
Love all this. I like sneaking in some Fists or Swords on my Assault Sergeants, but if there's no points then there isn't....unless you start thinning out the DC's kit for some perks in the other units.

So, I considered putting in a Terminator Librarian along with a squad, but then I thought, 'how many turns am I going to use this guy before he's stuck in close combat?' So I opted for the regular Librarian instead. My plan is to sit him in a tactical squad and give him biomancy or divination powers that will hopefully help bolster the squad's defenses.
Rhino's transport cap is filled at a 10 man squad, no room for the Libby with or without TDA.

By dropping the upgrades on the Tactical Sergeants, I was able to add four more power fists to the Death Company. They're officially shooting magnets now :D, but riding in the storm raven should protect them from the worst the enemy has to offer.
The SR has an infantry transport cap of 12 and Packs make each DC model worth 2 spots thanks to Bulky. They don't fit and they don't want to be in there anyway. Start them on the table out of LOS and short move them against your enemy's advance so you can get a T2 charge while denying the same of your opponent. I had an opponent recently over-reach with his Daemon Prince and failed his 10" charge (big surprise) only to get charged by a full 10 DC. Who do ya think won that melee? :biggrin:

I dropped the predators because with the addition of the Dreadnoughts, I don't think I need them as much?
I like Predators but I don't think you 'need' them in this list.

Ultimately, I would drop a bit of kit in the DC and spread some love to your Assault Sergeants. DC's best use is starting on-table I'd wager (plus they don't fit in the 'Raven) and the Libby's use needs to be re-evaluated since there's no room in the Rhinos for him without combat-squads and marines walking around with short range weapons.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, been a while since I've made a list, so I made a few basic mistakes there :p. I'm using battlescribe to make the list, so some of the information is hidden.

Anyway, I rewrote the list above, now onto your suggestions: I dropped the Librarian because you're right, he doesn't fit in a ten man squad and I would have to drop a special weapon to use him. Might as well use the Librarian Dreadnought then, see how he plays out. I also dropped the power fist on the Sanguinary Priest, wasn't reading through the codex at the time, so I forgot about his initiative buff being applied to himself.

That is by far the most kit I've ever seen suggested on a DC squad. That's 170 points in upgrades! I could never bring myself to spend so much on a unit (two Fists in a 10 man squad w. Packs is already 280 and pushing it for me) but if that's the way you like it then throw down. They'll destroy anything they touch but they're the number one target in your army.
Alright, I toned them down a little, though you had to admit it would look epic on the table :p. Now there are only two power fists, one power sword, and two thunder hammers(only because I had spare points), the rest are chainswords.

Heavy Flamer:

It's free when you take a Frag Cannon.

Check out the wording, you can upgrade whatever arm you want to have the FC. It's perfectly legitimate.
I read the text and I'll take your word for it :wink:.

Love all this. I like sneaking in some Fists or Swords on my Assault Sergeants, but if there's no points then there isn't....unless you start thinning out the DC's kit for some perks in the other units.
I already had combat shields and power fists on them, just forgot to type into my post :p. But yeah, that's fixed now.

For some reason I thought a storm raven could hold twenty models, don't know why. Oh well, I'll remember your advice about the turn 2 charges.

EDIT: Also, not sure if Furiosos can have two heavy flamers. If not, I guess I have 20 spare points lying around.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
though you had to admit it would look epic on the table
Totally, I have a lot of models that are made up but never see the competitive table top. Every now and then I bust them out for fun games and they're usually pretty hilarious to include.

Oh well, I'll remember your advice about the turn 2 charges.
I've had a few people look at me and ask why I'm not using my Jump Packs against their combat-oriented army while they move full bore at my troops. It's a quick realization that the first move was a set up when I drop ~6" away from their forces.

Also, not sure if Furiosos can have two heavy flamers. If not, I guess I have 20 spare points lying around.
This ties into why you can get a free Heavy Flamer when you take a Frag Cannon. First option for this beauty (which stops you from having two under-slung weapons):

May replace one power fist (and built-in weapon) with a Frag Cannon
Later, under 'may choose one of the following'

Replace meltagun with a heavy flamer - free
Swap the arm with the storm bolter for a frag cannon and swap your meltagun for a heavy flamer for free! :grin:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swap the arm with the storm bolter for a frag cannon and swap your meltagun for a heavy flamer for free!
Ah, okay, I see what you're saying more clearly now. Perfect, then.

Thanks for all of your advice, Ntaw, I think the list is close to where it needs to be. Now, I just have to collect everything:p.

Just curious, though, how exactly are assault marines performing in 7th edition?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
They're doing the same in the last edition for us, but without ObSec/being a Troops selection. I'd wager they got better even, given that they now can get +1 Strength and Initiative on the charge and combine that with the WS/FnP bonus offered from the Priest for a near Death Company experience. Alternately, an attached Librarian can buff them in crucial ways but I've never been one to truly trust getting the right power. That's before even considering that your opponent could have a dieseled psychic list where your two Mastery Level points don't go very far at all with the dice rolling back at them.

Either way my ~20 Assault marines are frequent fliers in my lists. Another use for them is as meltagun strikes out of Drop Pods. 5 Assault marines with two meltaguns and a combi-melta in a Drop Pod is 115 points...a friggin' steal if you're up against heavy armour consistently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts