Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted a list with a bunch of speeders that can still do well. So friendly competitive I suppose. It's definitely not perfected yet, and that's where I could use your help. I was running Sammael for bikes as troops, switched to tacs at the last minute.

DARK ANGELS CAD
200 Sammael
200 5x Ravenwing Command

90 5x Tac Squad (Lascannon)
90 5x Tac Squad (Lascannon)

85 MM Typhoon
85 MM Typhoon
85 MM Typhoon

145 TLLC Mortis Dreadnought

FLESH TEARERS STRIKE FORCE
60 Sang Priest

70 5x Sniper Scouts (Camo)

75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon

=1850

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Challenge accepted!

Sammael in Sableclaw (LS 1)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron
Bikes 5+1, Sgt w/ MB
Attack Bike w/ MM
Typhoon w/ HB (LS 2)

Bikes 5+1, Sgt w/ MB
Attack Bike w/ MM
Typhoon w/ HB (LS 3)

Bikes 5+1, Sgt w/ MB
Attack Bike w/ MM
Typhoon w/ HB (LS 4)

Ravenwing Support Squadron
Typhoon w/ HB x2 (LS 5, 6)

Ravenwing Support Squadron
Typhoon w/ HB x2 (LS 7, 8)

Nephilim Jetfighter
TL Lascannons (you wanted anti-air, obviously)

Vengeance Landspeeder
(LS 9)

Vengeance Landspeeder
(LS 10)

So it gives you pretty much exactly what you want (with actually 1 additional Landspeeder). Because I had to play to the CAD rules, I had to pair some of the Landspeeders in squadrons, but that means less chance of those being first blood.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Well, honestly i'd capitalize on the speeder transport capacity and make a full scout list with sooo many speeders and typhoons. Such a list, with some help from drop podding dreadnohgts, could be a nightmare to face in a Maeltrom mission. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!! Not going into point detail. I guess you can do it better than me :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xabre: I feel so dumb right now because I own, but have never used the Sammael speeder. Just wow. How'd I miss that. I like what you did, but for me, individual speeders are a MUST! Speeders in squads, die in squads. Since they are paper thin, I want people wasting points overkilling. Plus, it lets me divide my firepower to the just right amount it takes to kill something, then move on to the next target. I've taken them in 3's before out of inexperience and ended up with 6 missiles and 3 heavy bolters falling victim to the overkill trap themselves. I do want some anti-air to deal with some common threats like flying circus. That's why I have so much love for the mortis dread. He gets it done and if not needed, he can move and blast ground targets.

nerferhet: I would love to cram some storms and scouts into the list! I just don't have any. Of course I'm short on speeders so I'll need a few more anyway, so writing up a list utilizing scouts couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After seeing what you guys had to say I made a few minor changes. I still like the idea of landspeeder storms. I just own zero of those, and I need DA for the mortis dreads. All I need now are the 3 MM Typhoons to pull this off.

DARK ANGELS CAD
200 Sammael Speeder

160 5x Tac (Plasma, Las/Plas Razor)
160 5x Tac (Plasma, Las/Plas Razor)

85 MM Typhoon
85 MM Typhoon
85 MM Typhoon

50 Techmarine

75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon

=1850

I also like bikes as troops, but they are just so damn expensive pointswise. It makes it hard to fit in all my speeders.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I understand not having the Storms... but I'd definitely drop the Razorbacks and get Storms for your Scouts. At least the BA ones, don't think Dark Angels can have them. If they can, to hell with any tacticals at all.

Also, I'm fairly certain a Techmarine can not fill a required HQ. They are 'one per other HQ' slot.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Really? That's different. And surprising, since no other army gets them as a dedicated HQ slot. That's what the Master of the Forge is for. Good to know.

But if Storms are only a Codex option, then that's out entirely.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Well, the DA and BA books both have Techmarines as HQs so it's nothing new per se (as the DA book has been out for a while). The SW book is currently converting to .pdf for viewing on my computer for me to see if they have it.

Sounds like you're gunna have to branch out from your SM 'dex buddy, they're not all quite the same :laugh:

EDIT: Iron Priests are Elites for SW.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Actually, while Techmarines have always been HQ, they have usually been 'You can take one HQ per other HQ in your army, and do not take up a force org slot'. That's how both Grey Knights and Vanilla Marines treat them. Page 94 of the DA codex says the same. Wolves use Iron Priests in elite slots.

Just don't have BA handy to look at them.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Techmarines are HQ for GK as well, the SM and (now that I'm reading closely, the) DA books are the only ones that treat them the way you're describing @Xabre. Seems 7th is getting rid of it since GK, SW, and BA are all more recent release for marines.

I'd be crazy worried about playing an army as lightly armoured as this but totally see your point about squads vs. lone Speeders @christopher.dean. Is it worth trying to work in a bike for your Techmarine so that he can keep up with the Speeders he may potentially have to repair?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Techmarines are HQ for GK as well, the SM and (now that I'm reading closely, the) DA books are the only ones that treat them the way you're describing @Xabre. Seems 7th is getting rid of it since GK, SW, and BA are all more recent release for marines.
Adepts of the Armoury: For each HQ choice in your Detachment (not including other
Techmarines) you can include a Techmarine. These do not use up a slot on a Force
Organisation chart.

That's from Grey Knights.

EDIT: Finally got to my BA Codex. So far BA are the ONLY ones that allow a Techmarine as their sole HQ.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have all of those books. BA are the only ones that can take Techies as a no shit HQ. The only reason I took him is because he's the cheapest slot filler. I doubt he'd ever repair those paper thin speeders. Maybe a razorback or the dreads. He can bolster defences for some scouts though.

And it's a very scary thought of running this paper army. But they are small and easy to hide. I've got a DE player as a friend and he's opened my eyes to some skimmer tactics. It's difficult and requires a degree of skill as mistakes are very costly. So it's more of an army list to really give me a challenge, but if played right, could be super devastating.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
It will definitely be interesting. I like Mortis, but I just feel almost like it's cheating. To put so much creativity into the speeder list, and then to put in 3 Mortis, which was FW's way of saying 'best dreadnought ever, kill everything!'. If I'm gonna go hard mode with speeders, I'd rather go hard mode all the way. But that's just me. I build more to fluff than anything, and 3 walkers don't fit in a full mobile speeder company.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very true. They are a tad out of place. As are the razorbacks, but they do offer units with an AV value like the rest of the army. DA are pretty slack in the anti-flyer roll other than they are the only ones that can take these awesome dreads in bulk. They also bring the Sammael speeder which I had forgotten about, but now counts as a "must have". BA can bring the stormraven, but they are expensive and not as good at shutting down FMC spam because of their reserve requirement. The dreads do fit in the "long range" aspect of the army.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I don't remember how much a Mortis dread costs, pointwise, but don't forget you could take a Stormwing Formation, for approximately 400 points.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, I've totally tried it out before with other lists. But without some kind of reserves manipulation, it has a tendancy to stay in reserve. I don't understand how I can make 3+ saves and roll to hit on 3's all day, but when you have 400+ points tied up into a single 3+ reserve roll it seems to make me pay.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Alright, let's try... THIS.

DARK ANGELS CAD
200 Sammael Speeder

85 MM Typhoon
85 MM Typhoon
85 MM Typhoon

140 Vengeance

-735 pts

50 Techmarine

65 5x Bolter Scouts (Camo)

75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon
75 HB Typhoon

-565 pts

STORMWING FORMATION

140 Stormtalon (Lascannon)

140 Stormtalon (Lascannon)

200 Stormraven (Las/MM)

FORTIFICATION

Aegis (Comms)

-1850 total

Sure, no tanks, no walkers, but you hide the Techmarine (who is just there as a tax anyway) on the Comm Relay to let you reroll you reserves to bring the fliers in early. Even found enough points for one more speeder, which has to be a Vengeance to fit into your Force org slots.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I absolutely love it! You even brought the las talons. I normally either take those or the typhoons on them for the AP value. This will definitely work on our table tops in group games. It doesn't fit the "LVO/Adepticon" mold I normally try to stick to, but honestly, who would really bring list like this outside of a FLGS or play group and into top tier tournament land. Typically I wouldn't see me ever using a Vengeance. Even though that plasma storm battery is awesome. I don't mind losing an AV10 skimmer that costs 80 points, but 140 hurts a little. However, in a challenging and fluffy list like this, it makes sense. I don't have one, but I think my Nid-playing buddy has one hiding in his collection somewhere's that I can gank from him for a while.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I absolutely love it! You even brought the las talons. I normally either take those or the typhoons on them for the AP value. This will definitely work on our table tops in group games. It doesn't fit the "LVO/Adepticon" mold I normally try to stick to, but honestly, who would really bring list like this outside of a FLGS or play group and into top tier tournament land. Typically I wouldn't see me ever using a Vengeance. Even though that plasma storm battery is awesome. I don't mind losing an AV10 skimmer that costs 80 points, but 140 hurts a little. However, in a challenging and fluffy list like this, it makes sense. I don't have one, but I think my Nid-playing buddy has one hiding in his collection somewhere's that I can gank from him for a while.
Glad you approve. However, I should point out that you don't 'lose' any of your Landspeeders with this. If I did my math right (*fistshakes threateningly at army builder*) You gained one Landspeeder over your last list, because I stole the points from your tanks and walkers. if I had one complaint, it's that I was 5 points short for 5 more sniper rifles. But literally you don't have another slot for more Landspeeders, unless it's another Vengeance at this point. Couldn't even give you a Darkshroud, since the DA Support Speeders are Fast attack also.

This may change when DA gets a new codex. I'm convinced a lot of new detachments will exist, including a Ravenwing Detachment with something much similar to the FT Strike Force.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts