Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1987 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I should be getting £60 this Friday, once I do im ordering the following. The First Heretic, Firedrake, Farseer, Sabbat Worlds anthology (though if I win CP's contest then no need :grin:), Bloodline and Blood Pact.

·
Registered
290 Posts
anyone recommend me some space marine books? Ive got all the space wolf, ultramarines, soul drinkers, blood ravens and salamander ones, as well as sons of dorn, soul hunter, descent of angels hunt for voldorius, horus rising. So yeah, any suggestions on SM novels?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Anyone recommend me some space marine books? Ive got all the space wolf, ultramarines, soul drinkers, blood ravens and salamander ones, as well as sons of dorn, soul hunter, descent of angels hunt for voldorius, horus rising. So yeah, any suggestions on SM novels?
Try to dig up copies of Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple and Dark Creed. The Word Bearers series is the greatest Chaos Space Marine writing out there, blows away McNeill's Iron Warriors and whatever other Chaos Marines have had bit parts in novels. The author Anthony Reynolds is excellent, and he gives the Dark Eldar the best portrayal they've ever had.

The only other Traitor Marine series that is better is the Night Lords, and I don't count them as CSMs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
try Helsreach by Aaron Dembski-Bowden from Space Marines Battles series. It is about Black Templars.

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
If you are into the Flesh Tearers, which i would assume by the look of you avatar, you can't go wrong by picking up the Print On Demand title: The Book of Blood. It is a compilation of works regarding the Blood Angels and their successor chapters. There is a short story within by Mr. Dembski-Bowden about the Flesh Tearers in there.

CP

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Try to dig up copies of Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple and Dark Creed. The Word Bearers series is the greatest Chaos Space Marine writing out there, blows away McNeill's Iron Warriors and whatever other Chaos Marines have had bit parts in novels. The author Anthony Reynolds is excellent, and he gives the Dark Eldar the best portrayal they've ever had.
Please, the Word Bearers series is good, I will give you that, but a Lord of the Night and Storm of Iron they are not.

In the end, Marduk and his forces barely ever got much done, and even with the entire fleet in the third one they managed to fall flat on their feet. At least Sahaal managed to bring a hive to its knee's all by his lonesome before the Night Lords showed up, and the Iron Warriors showed just how good they are at what they do.

It wasn't a build up of victory and triumphant only to fail at the last second. Even the much praised Soul Hunter didn't allow itself to fall into that little trap.

The only other Traitor Marine series that is better is the Night Lords, and I don't count them as CSMs.
Well you certainly can't count them as loyalists, and they aren't a renegade chapter. Chaos marines are a catch all term of the traitor legions and renegade marines, so even though you might not want to include them in that name, the Night Lords are indeed chaos marines. Some might fight for themselves, but that has not stopped an equal amount or even a majority to turn to chaos in one form or another.

What am I reading right now? After some deliberation the choice has been made, and I am off to read the adventures of my favorite vampire as she encounters an ancient evil: Drachenfels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Considering my B-day is just around the corner, I'll be getting some new books to devour.

Currently reading: Horus Rising (re-read)
Soon to be reading: Hunt for Voldorius, followed by the Blood Angels Omni

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Please, the Word Bearers series is good, I will give you that, but a Lord of the Night and Storm of Iron they are not.

In the end, Marduk and his forces barely ever got much done, and even with the entire fleet in the third one they managed to fall flat on their feet. At least Sahaal managed to bring a hive to its knee's all by his lonesome before the Night Lords showed up, and the Iron Warriors showed just how good they are at what they do.

It wasn't a build up of victory and triumphant only to fail at the last second. Even the much praised Soul Hunter didn't allow itself to fall into that little trap.
I didn't say Lord of the Night, I said Storm of Iron.

Thats because if Marduk and the 34th Host had succeeded then the Imperium of Man might have toppled. In Dark Apostle they did were victorious despite some setbacks, in Dark Disciple they were successful in their pursuits, but the battle against the Tyranids wasn't winnable, and in Dark Creed they did quite well despite everything against them but in the end their loss was inevitable, otherwise it might have well been the end of the Imperium.

Well you certainly can't count them as loyalists, and they aren't a renegade chapter. Chaos marines are a catch all term of the traitor legions and renegade marines, so even though you might not want to include them in that name, the Night Lords are indeed chaos marines. Some might fight for themselves, but that has not stopped an equal amount or even a majority to turn to chaos in one form or another.
Thats how the Imperium groups them. To them any Space Marine that doesn't serve the Emperor serves the Chaos Gods. The Night Lords do not as a whole so I don't count them amongst the Chaos Space Marines, rather I count them as Renegade Marines. And until we get some kind of confirmation there isn't any way to tell how many Night Lords have turned, we know that Krieg Acerbus had at least 200 Chaos Night Lords but so far we haven't seen any evidence that another group of Chaos Night Lords on that scale or even close to it exists.

·
Registered
6 Posts
-Skitters in from a hole in the ceiling.-

I smelled a "What are you reading page?" Had to come stick my nose into it. Mwahaha; I love these kinds of threads, it's always fun to throw myself into them. Okay, reading list..

I'm busy reading the Word Bearers novels. Oh god, I love those things. Love love love. Which is amusingly amazing because the Word Bearers Legion is one of the ones I don't like all that much.

I'm currently rereading all of these, just so you know;

- The Malus Darkblade chronicles. Ooooo, I do love these books. So salaciously dark and twisted and just bloody with enough Machiavellian twists that they're addictive.
- The Ravenor trilogy. I need to go pick up the omnibus. :l My copy of Ravenor Returned is in storage and I have no idea WHERE it is.
- The Eisenhorn trilogy. One of my favorite of favorite trilogies. There's so many moments where I either crack up or tear up thanks to the novels. (Like with Bequin's relationship with Eisenhorn.. -Sniff.-)
- The Saint. Second of the Ghosts omnibuses.

.. Can you tell I'm an Abnett fan?

·
Registered
75 Posts
im currently reading Horus Rising although ive actually got 3 series on the go: horus heresy, gotrek and felix and space wolves

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just finished " Fear The Alien ". Currently reading " Temple of The Serpent " .
Next would be " Hunt for Voldorius ", but " Bloodline " is on its way, so that could change rather soon. And as an ongoing project, i am working my way through the Horus Heresy. At the moment it is " Mechanicum " and are those Marsians some wicked ones ? :spiteful:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, since I made this thread, I've nearly finished Hunt For Voldorius, which I consider fantastic, and certainly the best Space Marine Battle novel, thus far; if one were to judge the novel purely upon its genhanced Protagonists (I would accept Helsreach, with its Legio and Guardsmen characters would surpass it, although the Raven Guard are fantasticaly portrayed...)

And, with orders placed for Firedrake and The First Heretic, I've got Legends of the Space Marines[/I and a mountain of Manga to read before:grin:

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Im waiting for Firedrake, The First Heretic and Sabbat Worlds to arrive.

Hunt for Voldorius is good but not the best. Helsreach, Hunt for Voldorius, Rynn's World. That is the order from best to last. I just want Fall of Damnos to be released, its gonna be epic.

41 - 60 of 1987 Posts