Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long day and you're looking forward to getting home and doing something with your 40K. Be it modeling, painting, list writing, etc. As you approach the last half mile on your journey home you notice something out of the ordinary. Your home is now demolished. Be it with fire, structural failure, or Jeremy Clarkson drove a car through it, the place is gone and so is your 40K (obviously). After a while you settle into a new place due to the insurance you had. Now, you're starting to think of building a new 40K army and get back into the hobby again now that this situation is starting to pass.
What would you do?
How would you do it?
Would you pursue that dream army you had been thinking about for the longest time?
Would you rebuild what you once had?

This is a slightly off beat scenario, I know. But, lets assume that you had just enough money to build (from new) an army after such an occurance for say a 1K - 2K list, what/how would you do?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Tough question... Something I'm sure people have been through. I'm not entirely sure I'd take up the hobby again... Or I'd just keep trucking with Necrons.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
With the current state of 40k in my area, I wouldn't bother. If there was a more active 40k group in the area I would go with Orks I think. I had planned to at the start and let myself be swayed to the idea of a new codex and more elite force via SM/SW but I still wish I had done Orks. Especially since one of the main reasons I held back was the cost of a horde army and I ended up with a huge pile of models anyways.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd start an interely FW army, like Death Korps of Krieg.

No way I'll re-buy everything, too much money!

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
In the spirit of the question, I think I would start something completely different.

I would very very tempted to start tyranids to be honest, the custom sculpt options are there, unique themed terrain etc.

The only hesitation I think I would have is the lack of superheavies (below the seriously expensive ones), I would want something medium sized to build/sculpt.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Given the chance to start again I probably wouldn't. Games Workshop and the game has changed into something I wouldn't invest into again from scratch. However, I'd build a fantastic gaming computer to ignore Eternal Crusade with...

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would rebuild my Harlequins...there are tons of models out there on Ebay to replace all my old figures (well the bikes are getting harder and more expensive to replace).

I am not sure I would rebuild the marines. I like the marines and have put quite a bit of work into the army including some very nice custom conversions, but I would rather use the opportunity to make a small custom force of an army that is ripe for customization like Orks or Chaos.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, I would get back in.

I enjoy the modeling and painting as much as the game itself.

However, I think I would play something like Dark Angels for two reasons.

1. The DV set makes it easy to acquire multiple HQs with the Librarian and Company Master, more so if you happen across the Limited Edition and get Seraphicus.

2. They have an army with multiple colours and to me that would be a total plus. I've been painting Crimson Fists for my army and I think a break up in paint schemes would help me get through the painting process better since Ravenwing and Deathwing use different colours than the overall chapter.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd get back into it. I'd probably start a different army, a fresh start and all that. Granted I'd be demoralized I'd just lost a couple of hundreds of dollars of minis, paint, and tools. Although when I think about it, I have a couple hundred sunk into my XBox 360 with all the games and accessories I've gotten, so I can justify the cost in buying things that make me happy and provide enjoyment.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'd buy the DV set, a second box of DW terminators and an ADL. I'd also order in another set of DW termie legs so I could make a Belial model. Not only because I love the idea of a Deathwing army, but seriously because of the DV kit. If it was any other chapter that's the chapter I'd be doing.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Like romero, I highly doubt that I would get back into the game with an army, I would just be content with getting the models that actually interest me.

If anything I would start a completely new army. most likely Eldar.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Well I'm currently in the process of building up my speed freak Orks and haven't gotten to terribly far into that. Wouldn't be much of an issue for me to start over (being only a dozen models out of seven dozen in at the moment.)

Personally I'd be more distraught over the other things I'd lost; like my computer, or my 360, or my clothes, or my dogs (assuming they had not made it out), or that bed I just bought..

Bitching, moaning, and other such ramblings
Sorry, I think you said something but couldn't make it out over all the whining

·
Registered
480 Posts
Put my disposable income into my car. Of course Im already doing that, but I would direct ALL of it into go-fast parts. Hell, R34 Skylines will be legal to import to the US next year! Thats what I was doing before I played Space Marine.....

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
This game has always been more about the strategy and playing for me over than the painting. I've only recently gotten more involved in the techniques I employ with the brush...if painted armies didn't look so cool they'd all be GW Crack Grey, hahaha

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
This thread has inspired me to build a secret underground compartment in which I will bury all my 40k models, just for that eventuality.

Mind you, I've put together and painted all of ten of my 40-something marines, and they're not even well painted. To lose the ones I've done already would not be a huge loss.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts