Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm kinda new to 40k, and kinda not. A few years ago I tried 40k, I bought a Tau army. I played about 10games and hated it and sold all my Tau. Since then I've purchased BT codex DA codex Vanilla marines codex and I just purchased the BA codex and a nice size army to go with it (1850).

In between that time I became in love with privateer press. But throughout the whole timE I've been constantly lured by 40k's draw.

Why is it we love this hobby/game system over so many of the other systems out there? It's not the best game system by far and though a lot of the models are sick, there are other games that have models that are just as cool, I.E. Infinity or Anima Tactics.

Why do you love 40k so much? Cause I can't explain why I do. Lol!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love 40k so mach because the background and the lore are just so full and detailed, every army has their story, important battles they participated in, etc. You have the Black Library with literally a Library of books about the world and the characters within it, and no other game has such a rich background, and very few even come close. That's my reason for being addicted to 40k :)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Well i always was in love with the imagery. The fluff is quite unique and diffrent from most sci fi based plots. The minitures are beautiful as well.

Mainly i love 40k is about a year ago i was diagnosied with type 1 diabetes and am gettin seperated from the navy. There is no job in the wrld i love more than my job in the navy. well since this has happened my stress level and depression level rose and 40k has been there for me when i truly needed to get my mind off the world.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Its such a wonderful distraction from the real world. I was diagnosed with depression and nothing really gets my mind off issues than sitting down and painting for a couple of hours or looking through tactics or playing a game with a friend. The logic building is a big bonus for me. I like writing and the universe of 40k is deep enough that I feel as though I can write something and not have it stick out like a sore thumb but be a believable aspect of the universe; not to mention the oppurtunity to create your own chapter/craftworld/tomb world/etc and the stories behind them. As reverse stereotypical as it is, I actually became more social through the game and I keep playing because of them.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
40k was good because it combined many of the good SF tropes (I liked) with all of the really bad fantasy ones (that I still don't like).
I've about had enough of the ludicrous-levels of grimdark and have moved to a brighter game - Infinity.
Skirmish level so I can take my army AND luggage to an interstate event.

I've never been a sole-company fanboy anyway. I've always played other games by other companies during the same time period.

There was WW2 and 40k
HO scale moderns and 40k
Kryomek and 40k
Warzone and 40k
Cyberpunk rpg and 40k
Infinity and 40k.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fluff is amazing. I was explaining some of it to my wife and she couldnt believe that all of this could be in one mans head. its actually impressive if you think about it. I have a vivd imagination but to dream up a world so dark so chaotic so hopeless and yet its still a world we love to visit all the time is astonighing. The Warhammer universe is art in its purest form. (even though some IP is borrowed) :)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Like most of you I am addicted to the whole beast. I am slowly collecting the black library in it's entirity and to be able to collect, paint and game with what are essentially characters from the books is just awsome.

Hence why I have little time for the GW haters on the forums. Just buy a new pair of shoes if you want to be trendy.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I drifted away years ago but the fluff is what drew me back. The extensive background and future history.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
has to be the sheer amount of detail in mos things and the fact you can do pretty much whatever you want when making up fluff. also if you can think up a conversion in 40k you can make the conversion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so many valid points... i find it amazing how much you guys say that the GW hobby actually impacts your life in a positive way. its really nice to hear that. i myself use the hobby to escape from reality as i am truly a "fluff player", dont get that confused for lack of tactical prowess cause ive been wargaming for a few years now and im sure once i get a grasp on 40k i'll be able to spank most of you... jk. i really think the GW haters are just having fun poking GW a little. Take away their models and see if they'll be happy with that... I'm so glad i rediscovered this game and now i have the time and money to fully appreciate it for all it is.

@the cabbage:
thanks for mentioning collecting the black llibrary books as i am a compulsice collector and now have a new task to complete. grrrrrr on you cabbage, grrrrrr on you!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Lore, models, friends, what's not to like?

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
40k allows me to engage in several of my passions at once, i have always been a good artist, but i also love building models and have a fascination with all things Gothic,plus i love architecture, so if were not doing this i would be doing railway models or even dolls houses.Plus im a scifi and fantasy nut in both film and literature.
Plus back in the day my local GW store always felt welcoming, everything about the place was perfect,it was like some one had gone into my head and designed a shop with everything i wanted in it. But that was way back in the 80s and the stores had a different dynamic,they used to be populated by adults in black leather jackets and metal band t shirts and tattoes,the steroe would be playing heavy rock,the shelves had non GW stock on them and games and models like dr who or judge dread and art books and magazines like heavy metal. But mostly as a teen i was treated with respect by the leather clad adults because i had chosen to play 40k and i felt like i belonged to a secret club, at some point that changed, the shops became full of harry potter look a like preteens and staff shouting warrrgh, no music, all GW stock and the hobby became "geeky" and the secret club members retreated and had kids and buy online these days.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah iv'e lost few girlfriends due to 40k most dont know i play 40k cause i dont look like the typical nerd
I dumped a girl once over messing with my 40k stuff. I had a table set-up with some models on it and when we came home after the pub she saw it and started asking questions about it. Then she picked up one of my freshly painted Dreads and rolled it across the table in front of me.

The words "B*tch, don't roll my sh*t" might have left my mouth right before she was rolled out of my flat.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For me it has been the models and then the game and then the fluff. I like being able to mke my own little part of a universe. I was always a military modeller and just followed through to the scifi military. And having a rule set to display all my toys with, Brillient! :good:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts