Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-game-reboot-ww2-alternate-history?ref=users
Goal: 27K

HBG has a proven track record of producing beautiful plastic minis that have even the most experienced metal minis gamers rethinking their game table setups. Each of the three forces in AMERIKA receives their own set of custom pieces depicting actual vehicles in use or concepts in historical literature. Extensive research was done on all of these bringing the most realism possible to this fictional conflict. All 24 unit sculpts are unique to this game and cannot be found anywhere else. Our minis match perfectly in scale and color to other HBG pieces as well as popular games on the market making this game's units fully compatible. Our pieces even look great painted since each piece is molded using 3D modeling technology. Infantry are approximately 1:72 scale; vehicles are approximately 1:285 scale; aircraft are approximately 1:600 - 1:700 scale.

HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED WITH AMERIKA

The design work, computer 3D models of units, play testing, artwork, and advertising are already done and paid for. Your pledges will go directly to the cost of physically producing the game. Games like these with a large number of uniquely sculpted figures are costly to produce. HBG has put up half of what is needed to produce the game. However, we can’t do it alone, and the funding goal on Kickstarter is the balance of the costs. We have carefully chosen a variety of pledge levels so that anyone can get involved no matter your budget.

OP Note: The game looks like it's really involved, in that there is a LOT to do. The mini's are looking fantastic. All in all, as a backer, you can get a really good deal on a lot of stuff. Not sure of the size, but maybe some of this could be used for you Dust Tactics players (or other games, DT just comes to mind)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
another bloody alt world war 2 game.

not to knock the models, they look good and all but this theme has been done to death. why not have a table top game based on Leviathan huh? Clankers VS Darwinist! meat VS metal. Come on that be a more original idea then ANOTHER world war two game.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
another bloody alt world war 2 game.

not to knock the models, they look good and all but this theme has been done to death. why not have a table top game based on Leviathan huh? Clankers VS Darwinist! meat VS metal. Come on that be a more original idea then ANOTHER world war two game.
Because there are an alarming number of people who either wish or are fascinated by the idea of the Germans winning the war. It's impolite to say so, so those people get uncomfortably focused on German military history from 1938-1945, and get their kicks out by controlling nazis to beat up on Allied powers in games, or sit and write alternate history where the Germans steamroll Britain and go on a romp across the United States and Russia.

Personally, I find WWII games a little distasteful to begin with. I have a somewhat unique perspective on it as a Jew, and as someone who personally knows quite a few Holocaust survivors. The idea of making a game out of a war which ultimately decided the course of humanity feels...wrong, somehow. Like it's making light of the utter seriousness of the situation. And as someone who knows a woman who has woken up screaming every single night for nearly seventy years now and was lucky enough to be a randomly selected worker off the train at Auschwitz rather than head straight to the gas chambers, the idea of a prolonged war, much less one where the Germans have essentially won, as is the implication of this game... it's sickening, and a slap in the face to the people who lost so much and whose pain continues to resonate today.

I know my opinion is in the great minority regarding these things-- I'm well aware that WWII is a rich stage to set games in and there are some hugely successful ones. Long story short, though, I'm right there with you... ANOTHER alternate WWII game where the Germans are winning is a groaner in and of itself, and it'd be nice to see clearly capable game designers do something... different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts