Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if I'm crazy or not. When I paint my Space Marines I only glue their legs, torso and head to the base and prime from there. I prime the arms, weapons and backpacks as well but paint them all BEFORE I glue them to the body.

Am I doing it all wrong? Should I completely assemble the model, prime then paint? What's the process you take?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I assemble and paint. My friend Semi-assembles and paints. Another friend paints in parts. Do what makes your work pleasing to you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Im a fully assembled painter no need to waste 5 min to paint a covered up chest emblem, multiply those 5 min by 60 figs it does add up.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Nope. You see not alone. That is exactly how I paint space marines and most plastic models. It minimizes the amount of physical contact with the surfaces to be painted, which minimizes the amount if skin oil which might disrupt the paint adhesion. And it also facilitates painting all the hidden and interior details before the model is assembled.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I usually fully assemble the model and then paint. Course there are occasions where I'll keep the power packs or jump packs off while painting.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I usually leave the head off and paint that separately too, but otherwise I do exactly how you do it!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
SAme I always sub assemble models as much as possible until it gets to the point where my abilities to paint it may be affected. I find its the best way as it means that the paint will help cover up seems and such where to pieces fit together (like a torso) and it it stays together better as you aren't sticking paint to paint but plastict to plastic, but you are also not sacrificing your painting ability - best of both worlds :)

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Obviously you can do whatever you want, but I do think you are crazy.

I just can't be bothered to put that extra effort in for something I won't ever see.

Also, I think painting on the sprue is actively detrimental...

·
Closet Dictator
3,431 Posts
I paint in parts, mainly because I'm not very good at painting and would make a shambles of a fully assembled model, as for crazy no you are not, everyone has a method, and if it works stick with it!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am exactly the same.

When I paint my Imperial Guard I glue legs to torso and then paint these entirely (prime, basecoat, wash, highlights) Then I add the right arm and paint, left arm and paint. Next comes the head. When this is finished, I add all the extra gubbins. Then I complete any final details, correct mistakes etc.

This people, is why my Guard army is so small............

·
3,351 Posts
I would never paint on the sprue. Sure you have the frame to hold while painting, but after painting you have to clip the pieces out and that will damage the paint job.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
No you are not crazy. I know many people that partially assemble like you and paint. Some pain on the sprue then assemble. I do a combination of fully assemble and partially assemble. It depends on how much of mine is converted and how much I need to have assembled to paint it. So it depends on what works for you.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
To me, it really depends whether you're going to play with the models before they're painted. I am not going to field half-assembled models if I can't help it--so I have far too many models that are merely primed but fully assembled. Were I painting each unit as I bought it, yes, I would be more likely to paint it in parts like you do, I think. For one thing, it provides an impetus to finish the squad before moving on to the next shiny thing, with which I have a problem...

·
3,351 Posts
I am not going to field half-assembled models if I can't help it.
While I agree, with not fielding half assembled models, I would adds that I also wouldn't field unpainted ones.

I understand why some people do, but I think it really detracts from the game.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
While I agree, with not fielding half assembled models, I would adds that I also wouldn't field unpainted ones.

I understand why some people do, but I think it really detracts from the game.
It is my eternal shame and my #1 motivation towards painting more models, even with my inefficient process...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I used to do that, but I changed to make my life simpler. Their easier to paint when completely assembled, for me. It was a pain in the but gluing them together and then touching up the paint. But, again, thats for me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I usually end up assembling a model for gaming, then taking it apart again six months later when I get round to painting it! As for being crazy, your painting habit isn't but for all we know you might have a sack of dead kittens under your bed...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I assemble a unit completely and base it , then Prime. I use the base to hold the model while I paint. Once the paint is dry, I add glue to base to add the dirt then I paint around the base metallic Brown. Then once its all dry, I mat varnish the models. Of course its all a matter of time and patience. Since I am new to the game, I want to play with painted models on the table as much as possible. But without looking too bad of course.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts